Excuse me, I'm venting

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Loaded my last 11 bales tonight, still have 8 more bought bales. Was going to work everything saturday and got hit with a grandchild function. Hadn't fed friday so they would be good and hungry, so had to feed saturday morning to go to said function. Fed minimum, so I can still do what I need to do on sunday. Well, got everybody in the corral, and getting vaccines loaded and everything set up, cattle are calm. Loafer pulls up to the gate, and they start circling, and hit the latch and out they go, benice!

Have had very similar things happen numerous times. Now every exterior gate on each of my lots have heavy chains with carabiners as insurance. Little slower but well worth it.

JMJ Farms said:
Have had very similar things happen numerous times. Now every exterior gate on each of my lots have heavy chains with carabiners as insurance. Little slower but well worth it.

If I had been clever enough to do that my bulls would not have got in with my replacements a while back.

Silver said:
JMJ Farms said:

If I had been clever enough to do that my bulls would not have got in with my replacements a while back.

Wish I'd have been clever sooner. Had several mishaps before I figured out what I was doing wasn't good enough. And will likely still have more:tiphat:

Like my sig says.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Also use the bolt on hinges and hang the top on upside down.... Don't ask me how I know...

Remember that one time EVERYTHNG went just fine and worked easy? This almost evens that score. :D

I've had gates pop open too. Every now and then I've even got the laggard calf after I've closed up the rest. It all comes with a cost. :lol:

I too, learned too little too late, to use a chain as well as the store bought latches on tube gates, right after I spent the better part of an afternoon finally getting a flighty heifer penned. I just congratulated myself, when I noisily closed a different gate, it spooked her, and she ran full bore into the 12' gate leading out, which bowed the gate out and the bar no longer reached into the latches. Pretty sure I heard her laughing as she dance across the pasture.
(probably a good thing I wasn't armed at that moment)

Well, it makes me feel a little better, I knew I should have chained it. It won't happen again, If I ever get them all in again. Yes, it's payback for the times that things went well, but I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for leaving the side door on the trailer unlatched, that one still hurts.

Latest posts