Estimate weight of Jersey calf

Help Support CattleToday:

The Coburn Dairy Tape has 3 breeds on it. And the one they sent me the Jersey strip on the tape was cut half through, sewn and and printed over. I had them send me a new readable one. How much do you weigh by tape, Traveler? :) Beef breed tape I guess.

The Coburn Dairy Tape has 3 breeds on it. And the one they sent me the Jersey strip on the tape was cut half through, sewn and and printed over. I had them send me a new readable one. How much do you weigh by tape, Traveler? :) Beef breed tape I guess.
I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. It gets a little confusing when an earlier post says an animal is 670 and then the next one says it is 550.

And I use scales, not tapes. I've gotten fairly good at judging weight by eye, too. But yeah... beef.

And the picture of the heifer looks like she's in exceptional condition.

By dairy weight tape measured behind my front legs (arms) but above the udder I weigh 136

Do the dairy people here think she's too fat? The grass is so good she doesn't even come in for feed anymore.

She looks very good. No, not too fat. Too many want that "too lean" look in dairy animals... sorry... I don't like it and don't think it is optimal. She is a growing heifer... she is carrying good weight and flesh. Her brisket is good and clean looking, not bulging. Better looking than many I have seen.

"Today the Jersey heifer is 10 months old and weighs 670lb by Jersey weight tape. The cool season grass is starting to coming in now."
I'm also confused. She was 10 months old before and she's 10 months old now??
She does look really good.

The calf was born at Foster's dairy on July 4th, 2022. In both of these recent posts she is 10 months old. On April 4th, 2023 the heifer was 10 moths old. Today, April 22, 2023 she is still 10 moths old.
Today I measured her again with a readable dairy tape.

This calf is a honey. Docile, respectful and beautiful with the perfect fawn color I had hoped for. Daphne, my old cow, is the dark red black masked kind. This heifer was a dark red but I chose her because out of all the calves they had lying around in hutches she was looking out the hatch saying Hey, pick me!

Last edited:
The calf was born at Foster's dairy on July 4th, 2022. In both of these recent posts she is 10 months old. On April 4th, 2023 the heifer was 10 moths old. Today, April 22, 2023 she is still 10 moths old.
But what does she weigh? 670... or 550? I'm betting closer to 550.

Got any scales close by? We know you have a trailer.

She weighs right at the 550 mark on the Jersey breed strip. It has Jersey, Guenrsey and Holstien breeds.

For all 3 breeds it also has marks for Average Weight at Weaning 3 months, Average weight at 6 months, Lightest breeding weight, which she is now in this category, and Average first calving weight.

I think 10 months old is too young to breed. I know they get bred but not ideal. I've been told 14 to 16 months so they calve around 2 years old.

She is a honey, isn't she? :) Look at these honeys.

Oliver-Daughters.jpg

Honeydew came from a dairy. She will probably be milking 5 to 8 gallons a day. I will be forced to sell milk. You can sell milk here but it has to be off the farm, no advertising allowed and no more than 3 milking cows. I only took a gallon a day from Daphne and the calf took the rest but she never really let down and held back most of the cream. Also, I am done with hand milking so I bought a milking machine for this heifer. Its a Surge Belly Pail, AKA amechanical calf. It hangs under the cow by a strap

100_2136.JPG
That pheasant thing is a soup tureen.

Last edited:
She weighs right at the 550 mark on the Jersey breed strip. It has Jersey, Guenrsey and Holstien breeds.

For all 3 breeds it also has marks for Average Weight at Weaning 3 months, Average weight at 6 months, Lightest breeding weight, which she is now in this category, and Average first calving weight.

I think 10 months old is too young to breed. I know they get bred but not ideal. I've been told 14 to 16 months so they calve around 2 years old.
That's about right.

She weighed 550lb April 22.
Today almost a month later she weighs 607 for a gain of 57 lbs. Not bad for just grass.

She's 11 months old. If I get her bred in August or September she will have her calf next May during 'Grassus Maximus' at about 2 years of age.

Last edited:
This is my bottle calf not a baby anymore. Shes a growin girl. She is 10 weeks old and in 34.5" at the wither. She eats 3 or 4 lbs of 16% calf grain, free choice alfalfa hay and grass. She still gets 1/2 a gallon of milk replacer out of a bucket so I can use up the sack and she likes it. Do you think she weighs 200lbs yet?

View attachment 21285
She's not fat you can still see her ribs.
1685461021765.png
This is from the university of pennsylvania, jersey growth chart. This is average.

Beef calves nurse 10 months so a dairy calf can easily be fed milk that long of you can afford it but it is to expensive for me. Once they have a calf, I would say you are way past bottle feeding but I can see giving you pet cow a bottle as a treat or to calm them down for a procedure, or to give medicine without restraining them.

Latest posts