Equipping a Polaris for Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm searching for a mobile T-Post Driver to use off of a Polaris or a handheld one that can help take the toll of off my Dad as he's fencing this summer. He's done it the old fashioned way for so long, I think getting a quality driver to help him out with how many miles of fence he has to put up and fix would be groundbreaking (couldn't resist the cliche pun)! We've only had a Polaris Ranger for a couple years, and that has helped him quite a bit, but I'd like to make it as efficient and easy as possible since he works by himself and is getting a little older.

Also, has anyone gotten the Wire Spooler from Polaris or something similar, and if so, what do you think of it? Link at the end of my post for what I'm talking about.

There's also the T-Post hauler Polaris has, but he already hauls them horizontally across the cargo bed, so don't know if that's worth buying or not...

Any other recommendations for useful add-ons, I'd be happy to hear 'em!!!

I'm looking to gift my Dad these tools to help him work smarter, not harder :) He is a grinder and will work his hands to the bone to keep the family fed, it's the very very least I can do! Never seen a work ethic like his, even if I'm a bit biased :)

---Wire spooler link---
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/attachments/2882157/

---T-Post Hauler link---
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/attachments/2882192/

while all that looks handy, it ain't cheap for a really darned simple thing

What kind of fencing is he doing? Looks like that would work for electric, polywire, etc but wouldn't hold a spool of barbed

Barbed, so good detail catch there Nesikep! That's why I posted to the forum. I'm willing to spend on good quality equipment that has a good track record but need a few more pairs of eyes that can catch details like that so I don't regret a purchase! If anyone has used a spooler like this for barbed, lemme know!

The post driver is the biggest thing - that would take a large amount of strain off of him, for sure! I'm willing to spend for that because I know how helpful it could be!

My husband bought the Polaris Rancher with the spooler, t-post hauler, all the bells & whistles. Hasn't used them once. Granted, he's had some health issues & we ended up paying someone else to put up/fix a lot of fence but even when we've done maintenance ourselves he keeps going back to the way he's always done it (which means I get to do the majority of the sh#% work). Hard to change habits. That said, the mobile t-post driver sounds great. And I highly recommend a wench if he doesn't already have one.

Nesi, the spooler is made for any wire, including barbed.

You see side by sides with multiple custom racks for cross fencing. Posts are often on the front and spools in a tray above the box on the back.
Serious barbed wire fencer builders here usually use skid steers with brush cutters, corner post hole augers, and buckets (for driving T posts).
Are you building or repairing fence using the side by side?

TCRanch said:
My husband bought the Polaris Rancher with the spooler, t-post hauler, all the bells & whistles. Hasn't used them once. Granted, he's had some health issues & we ended up paying someone else to put up/fix a lot of fence but even when we've done maintenance ourselves he keeps going back to the way he's always done it (which means I get to do the majority of the sh#% work). Hard to change habits. That said, the mobile t-post driver sounds great. And I highly recommend a wench if he doesn't already have one.

Is that a blonde one TC? May not get much fencing done if he has a "wench" might spend all the time canoodling.

I have bought one of these.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Baumr-AG-Petrol-Post-Driver-40cc-2-Stroke-Pile-Star-Picket-Rammer-Fence-/382033926746?hash=item58f2ff1a5a&_uhb=1

I have about 300 posts under the belt now and have found it very reliable, we are in drought and the ground is very hard but it pounds away, makes life a lot easier. Yes it is a cheap Chinese one but I am not a professional fencer and seems to go well. Up to 6' posts I operate from the ground but the project at the moment uses 7' posts so I work from the back of my Pikup and have my "blonde wench" drive along the fenceline with few incidents.

I have made a simple wire unspooler with an old plow disc on the base that goes into the towbar receiver to unspool woven wire vertically but can be used on barb as well but I have another horizontal homemade unspooler that sits in the tray for the barb wire. I may be up the back this arvo so if I think of it I'll get a photo of them. Good thing is they are made of materials that were to hand so no cost.

Ken

Stocker Steve - he is repairing currently, but after he's done repairing the fence on this group of pastures, he will be building quite a bit of fence on a different ranch project. There are sections he's repairing now where the old leasee really let the fence go to he** where he practically has to rebuild & start from scratch anyways. If you have any pics of the spool setup tray in the cargo bed, I'd love to see them! And Dad's always used the good ol' handheld post hole digger for braces and corners, not an auger. This is the man who also moved & stacked 50,000 bales of hay by hand one summer in college....

Ken - Definitely would love to see that unspooler you've got! I'm handy so might be able to make it! Problem I wonder about though is with barbed wire, sometimes as it unspools the barbs get caught. It's easy enough to fix but gives a little jerk on the spool that could break something. Last I saw him do it, Dad put up 4 old wooden pole handles vertically in the rear cargo bed holes of the Polaris, then placed a metal pole horizontally that he slid the spool onto. Yeah, the spool would travel to the side and start to rub the cargo bed through simple physics, but there was a little give with the wooden poles being spaced apart that gave you a split second to stop the polaris if the barbs got caught together to readjust. Send those pics of your unspooler! I think you're onto something with the plow disc!

On a sidenote: Because some of these post drivers use the air compressor, what air compressor is the best to buy for this, how is it hooked up (to the UTV battery or does it have its own battery or even gas???), what do I need, etc.

Never used one before or seen someone use it except in commercials and on display at conventions so I'm a complete rookie here...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tarter-farm-and-ranch-equipment-2-in-receiver-wire-unroller

We have one of these for barb wire, it works well and could be made fairly easy. Being in the hitch, you don't have to lift the roll of wire very high which came in handy for my dad who I originally bought it for. He made it to about 70 years old before he quit messing with fence.

EastTxBrushCattle said:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tarter-farm-and-ranch-equipment-2-in-receiver-wire-unroller

We have one of these for barb wire, it works well and could be made fairly easy. Being in the hitch, you don't have to lift the roll of wire very high which came in handy for my dad who I originally bought it for. He made it to about 70 years old before he quit messing with fence.

Awesome! Thank you!!!

Those pneumatic ones need a lot of air. You need a fairly big petrol driven compressor, all very messy with hoses etc. My little 2 stroke petrol one is relatively light and portable. You just work down the fenceline slipping it over the end, stand it up and hammer away, move onto the next.

Sounds like I've only got 2 years of fencing left in me, better hurry up and get it all done.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
TCRanch said:

Is that a blonde one TC? May not get much fencing done if he has a "wench" might spend all the time canoodling.

I have bought one of these.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Baumr-AG-Petrol-Post-Driver-40cc-2-Stroke-Pile-Star-Picket-Rammer-Fence-/382033926746?hash=item58f2ff1a5a&_uhb=1

I have about 300 posts under the belt now and have found it very reliable, we are in drought and the ground is very hard but it pounds away, makes life a lot easier. Yes it is a cheap Chinese one but I am not a professional fencer and seems to go well. Up to 6' posts I operate from the ground but the project at the moment uses 7' posts so I work from the back of my Pikup and have my "blonde wench" drive along the fenceline with few incidents.

I have made a simple wire unspooler with an old plow disc on the base that goes into the towbar receiver to unspool woven wire vertically but can be used on barb as well but I have another horizontal homemade unspooler that sits in the tray for the barb wire. I may be up the back this arvo so if I think of it I'll get a photo of them. Good thing is they are made of materials that were to hand so no cost.

Ken
Busted! Spell check didn't correct my error and I clearly missed it. :oops:

a old push mower handle with a small rebar through the bottom holes makes a great barb wire unroller. quick, easy, cheap, and you can haul it behind something.

cowrancher75 said:
a old push mower handle with a small rebar through the bottom holes makes a great barb wire unroller. quick, easy, cheap, and you can haul it behind something.

I have one like this that is real similar to what you are talking about. One of the best thing I have ever bought for the ranch. You can tie it off to the back of the buggy and pull it or walk with it.

https://afence.com/store/BARBWIRE-DISPENSER.html

With a little scrap pipe and a welder you can make a decent fence spooler for the Ranger. This is how I made mine
349a32e.jpg

The upright pipes fit into the pockets of the bed. The large discs can just be plywood. I use 1/4" flat plastic, but not everyone has that. They're just used to separate the spools of barbed wire from touching each other or the pipes. I can fit 3 spools on mine, but you get a lot less tangles just using 2.

Best thing I ever bought was a gas powered t post driver. They are 1300 bucks, but worth every penny of it.

We've got countless wire unrollers to unroll up to seven wires at a time.
But one of these stays on every truck all the time.

I've got gas drivers in redidriver ,rhino and skidril. All worth the money skidril gets a big thumbs down for customer service and parts available.

I would think those gas powered drivers would be cumbersome when try to rebuild build or patch fence. New fence, probably works great.

My favorite for patching or rebuilding fence is still a sledge hammer. You can slide right in a don't have to worry about hitting wires or any thing. For one man its cheap, simple, and easy to operate. :)

Latest posts