EPD's for temperment?

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":2u4q6v6n said:
dun":2u4q6v6n said:
Hippie Rancher":2u4q6v6n said:
dun":2u4q6v6n said:
We would get back a disposition score, that isn;t what they called it but that was the jist of it, along with all of the carcass and feed data. I'm too lazy to search back through all of the fiels to find it.

Prolly too busy measuring tail switches. :roll: :lol:

And dew claw length. I think there is a real need for an EPD for that for cattle to navigate better in the mountains.
Better YET! I propose an EPD for Dental Prolongation - geared to maintaining molar tooth life expectancy, thereby extending the number of years that a good producer can remain in the cow herd and continue producing calves by being a prolific eater and drinker of cold water without painful reactions due to tooth decay and becoming a 'smooth mouth'! It would be labeled "DP EPD"! Try to refute the reliability and integrity of THAT reasonable "functional" trait!" Expected Progeny Difference! The beef profession should start to think pragmatically rather than just "cutsie".

DOC HARRIS

Red Angus has had it for years, it's called Stayability

The Limousin breed has had docility EBVs for quite a while now. There are three basic methods which can be used:

1. Crush Test
Scoring the behaviour of an animal when put into a crush using a 1-5 scale

2. Yard Test
Scoring the behaviour of an animal when put into a yard on their own and a handler attempts to hold them in a corner. This test is used for calves that have had considerable handling and need to be put under more pressure to exhibit differences in behaviour.

3. Flight Time
The time taken to move between two light beams as it exits a crush. This test is suitable for large herds if the equipment is available.

The yard test negates the effects of handling/handfeeding etc.

Follow this link for the whole article, its an interesting read.

http://svc192.bne150v.server-web.com/ge ... _h/h_4.htm

Edit - just noticed Keren's post - add this to her info:

Limousin breed started docility EPD in 1998 and as discussed here, have made good progress:

http://www.nalf.org/programs/doc_winter.html

Excerpt from their table describes their scoring system:

1- Docile Mild disposition, gentle and easily handled, stands and moves slowly during processing, undisturbed, settled, somewhat dull, does not pull on headgate when in chute, exits chute calmly

2- Restless Quieter than average but slightly restless, may be stubborn during processing, may try to back out of chute, pulls back on headgate, some flicking of tail, exits chute promptly

3- Nervous Typical temperament, Manageable but nervous and impatient, a moderate amount of struggling, movement and tail flicking, repeated pushing and pulling on headgate, exits chute briskly

4- Flighty Jumpy and out of control, quivers and struggles violently, may bellow and froth (nervous) at mouth, continuous tail flicking, defecates and urinates during processing,
frantically runs fence line and may jump when penned individually, exhibits long flight distance and exits chute nervously

5- Aggressive May be similar to score 4 but with added aggressive behavior, fearful, extreme agitation, continuous movement which may include jumping and bellowing while
in chute, exits chute frantically and may exhibit attack behavior when handled alone

6- Very Extremely aggressive temperament, "killers", pronounced attack behavior

DOC HARRIS":1hracoek said:
dun":1hracoek said:
Hippie Rancher":1hracoek said:
dun":1hracoek said:
We would get back a disposition score, that isn;t what they called it but that was the jist of it, along with all of the carcass and feed data. I'm too lazy to search back through all of the fiels to find it.

Prolly too busy measuring tail switches. :roll: :lol:

And dew claw length. I think there is a real need for an EPD for that for cattle to navigate better in the mountains.
Better YET! I propose an EPD for Dental Prolongation - geared to maintaining molar tooth life expectancy, thereby extending the number of years that a good producer can remain in the cow herd and continue producing calves by being a prolific eater and drinker of cold water without painful reactions due to tooth decay and becoming a 'smooth mouth'! It would be labeled "DP EPD"! Try to refute the reliability and integrity of THAT reasonable "functional" trait!" Expected Progeny Difference! The beef profession should start to think pragmatically rather than just "cutsie".

DOC HARRIS

Will we have to hire bovine dentists to come check the cows' teeth every year for the mandatory data reporting?????

JUST PURCHASED 3 REPLACEMENT BRED HFRS, ONE REASON I PICKED THOSE 3 WAS TEMPERMENT. THEY ARE BLK LIMO'S. THESE COWS NEVER RAN WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT THEM IN PASTURE. WITHIN 10 MIN OF DELIVERY, THEY CAME IN CORRAL TO EAT WITH OTHERS, AND ONE DAY LATER, HURRIED TO CORRAL TO EAT. LEARNED THE HARD WAY ABOUT FLIGHTY COWS, HARD TO CATCH, AND CAN RUIN THE HERD. SOLD WITHIN 2 WEEKS, AND LOST $, BUT BEATS RUINING A HERD OR ME. I BELIEVE THE LIMO ASSOC HAS AN EPD FOR DOCILITY, I AM WORKING TOWARDS A LIMO/LIMFLEX SMALL HERD, AND THE LIMO'S I HAVE ARE EASY TO HANDLE. CHECK OUT THE NALF WEBSITE, I BELIEVE IT IS NALF.ORG.

Latest posts