Weight Yearling +16 .38
Weight Milk Total -7 .33
Maternal -1 -.31
ScrotalCirc. +.01
Acc .48 .39 .38 .33 - .31
Breed Avg. EPDs for 2010 Born Calves Click for Percentiles
EPD 0.3 8 13 2 6 0.2

the negative milk what does that mean?

Means the calves aren;t gonna wean very big, but I've found the Milk EPD in most breeds is kind of a crap shoot. Weaning and Yearling weights are more accurate I think

What's the $en number. I'm new at epd's and the $en number is also somewhat new. But it tells me alot about the effiency of the animal. Ww, yw, sc, and $en are what I'm looking at in that order
Again, I'm new to epd's so take that witha grain if salt

hooknline":w2h6xvba said:
What's the $en number. I'm new at epd's and the $en number is also somewhat new. But it tells me alot about the effiency of the animal. Ww, yw, sc, and $en are what I'm looking at in that order
Again, I'm new to epd's so take that witha grain if salt
Some breeds have it, most don;t. Some call it by a different name.

-7 on a beefmaster should still be plenty of milk to raise a calf but that isn't a number I'd want to reproduce if I had registered cows.

thommoos":37wxnhxt said:
Beefmaster breed

Summer 2012 EPDs
Birth +1.7 .48
Weight Weaning +14 .39
Weight Yearling +16 .38
Weight Milk Total -7 .33
Maternal -1 -.31
ScrotalCirc. +.01
EPD 0.3 8 13 2 6 0.2

you are comparing that animal to the 2010 breed average, if the animal breeds true to his epds then on average his calves will be born heavier but also wean heavier and remain so at yearling compared to an average bull, however you can expect his daughters to wean lighter calves than the average, he's also below breed average for scrotal.

robert":247edovm said:
thommoos":247edovm said:
Beefmaster breed

Summer 2012 EPDs
Birth +1.7 .48
Weight Weaning +14 .39
Weight Yearling +16 .38
Weight Milk Total -7 .33
Maternal -1 -.31
ScrotalCirc. +.01
EPD 0.3 8 13 2 6 0.2

you are comparing that animal to the 2010 breed average, if the animal breeds true to his epds then on average his calves will be born heavier but also wean heavier and remain so at yearling compared to an average bull, however you can expect his daughters to wean lighter calves than the average, he's also below breed average for scrotal.

Now that confuses me because his sire is known for prducing great mommas? And his sire is a -7.

to use him I need cows with High milk EPD to balance him, but does too much milk reduce YW and WW?