Angus Udder Scoring EPD

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
I know the Angus Association has recently released the hair shedding EPD. They have talked about an udder scoring EPD for a while, I think they're collecting voluntary scoring on animals at this time, but does anyone know when they plan to release the udder scoring EPD?

Hopefully never. As bad as they have screwed up the foot epd deal it's very likely a step in the wrong direction.

I have been asking about that one for some time. Perhaps they are not getting enough data. I have turned in numbers on my commercial Registered Angus cows for several years. They are receiving 40+ numbers from me anyway. Udder quality of a bulls daughters was a trait that was evaluated in many semen catalogs a few years back, but it seems like they have all dropped it now. Selecting a bull to produce replacements has become more difficult as a result.

When I recently asked someone at AAA when I would see an udder EPD, I was given a somewhat vague answer. "We are working on it". It makes you wonder if the numbers being turned in for some of the currently popular bulls belonging to important members of the board and other prominent seed-stock producers, are not what they want to see. I hope that is not what is holding it up, but I can't really think of another good explanation. They have released preliminary data on other proposed EPD's with less. Udder quality is more important to me than most of the other numbers. A big potential weaning weight is worthless if the calf can't latch onto a nipple and dies out on the range.

The foot EPD is a bit suspicious to me too. When the numbers first came out, there were not many good choices for improving feet. I understand many of the initial numbers were the result of independent evaluators going into large herds and turning those numbers into AAA. Now individual producers, like myself, judge the feet and turn in the data along with birth weights, weaning weights etc. All of a sudden it seems like there are hundreds of choices for bulls with fantastic feet. (According to the EPDs) I find it hard to believe the Angus breed made that kind of progress in just a few years. I suspect the numbers being turned in by mostly seed-stock producers are a bit generous. That is always the problem with traits that are being subjectively judged. Whether intentional or not, people tend to view their favorites in a better light.

My beef with the foot epds being tied to the genomic test. In most cases the numbers indicate way better feet than the individual actually posses.

Well, maybe just having the foot EPD is at least making breeders LOOK at the feet. People can't get their nose out of the papers looking at NUMBERS. Look at your cattle! Chasing numbers is not a good thing.
Having a reliable foot, leg, udder EPD can be a great TOOL. But, not if we can't trust it. I'm talking all breeds.

Having a reliable foot, leg, udder EPD can be a great TOOL. But, not if we can't trust it.
@Jeanne - Simme Valley I agree that trust is a must in this business. If you can't trust the EPDs from the breed association (any breed) then why should you use any of their seedstock, be it bulls, females, embryos or semen? Wouldn't they stand to lose a bunch of money if people find out they've purposely been misled. In this day of lawsuits, I would think that would be grounds for huge damages as a class action case.

As a side note, Zoetis has a Teat and Udder composite (TUC) GEPD that they report as part of their Inherit Select DNA test for commercial replacement females. My herd average ranks in the top 26% of the database, looking at some of the udders I question those results, or else I feel very sorry for other commercial producers because they must have a lot of terrible udders in their herd.

Well one thing about an udder and teat epd at least you can't trim them to cover up the problem. I guess I have to admit that I am jaded by a couple of ai bulls that I used as they have sired some miserable footed animals. Tying the genomic test is not the answer to the problem though.