Employees few and far between.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":21vt6ih7 said:
callmefence":21vt6ih7 said:
I disagree with all of you. There's no shortage of skills or ability. There's a shortage of desire to use them.

No there is a major shortage of the trades as the boomers retired out 2006 to 2016. It was like 400,000 on the Gulf Coast when I retired in 07. I was part of the team that set up the apprentice programs for pipe, machinists and electrical.
We started them out at 25 an hour three days in the refinery two days class a week.
The major problem was finding trainees that could read write and arithmetic.
Then there was the drug test.
Out of 2000 applicators for 40 electrical jobs 60 passed the drug and
comprehensive test.

The whole entitlement problem falls directly on the shoulders of the baby boomer. Actually the great generation shook by the depressions started the idea that the employer owes something more than a paycheck. And the government owes something more than military protection...The baby boomers ran with, built unions and ridiculous minimum wages, short work weeks etc. The entitlement idea was bred by the baby boomer and has festered into the cancer it is today.
The worm can only turn by getting things back like they should be. The more you produce, the more you make...If you produce nothing you starve....You are responsible for your own retirement and medical care..until then the working man if ****ed

callmefence":2sjmzhu4 said:
The whole entitlement problem falls directly on the shoulders of the baby boomer. Actually the great generation shook by the depressions started the idea that the employer owes something more than a paycheck. And the government owes something more than military protection...The baby boomers ran with, built unions and ridiculous minimum wages, short work weeks etc. The entitlement idea was bred by the baby boomer and has festered into the cancer it is today.
The worm can only turn by getting things back like they should be. The more you produce, the more you make...If you produce nothing you starve....You are responsible for your own retirement and medical care..until then the working man if be nice
I'm a boomer.
Somehow, I missed out on all that.
Closest I ever came to it was my last job ending in 2007 as a tractor mechanic in a Kubota dealership.
1st time in my life I was off every Sunday and 1/2 day Saturday. (yeah I know..I was slacking off)

callmefence":1zmllc6n said:
Caustic Burno":1zmllc6n said:
callmefence":1zmllc6n said:
I disagree with all of you. There's no shortage of skills or ability. There's a shortage of desire to use them.

No there is a major shortage of the trades as the boomers retired out 2006 to 2016. It was like 400,000 on the Gulf Coast when I retired in 07. I was part of the team that set up the apprentice programs for pipe, machinists and electrical.
We started them out at 25 an hour three days in the refinery two days class a week.
The major problem was finding trainees that could read write and arithmetic.
Then there was the drug test.
Out of 2000 applicators for 40 electrical jobs 60 passed the drug and
comprehensive test.

The worm can only turn by getting things back like they should be. The more you produce, the more you make...If you produce nothing you starve....You are responsible for your own retirement and medical care..until then the working man if be nice

Your actually off by a generation the fight started at the turn of the century.
The unions came about simply because of sorry business owners operating under the philosophy of kill a man hire another kill a horse buy another one.
This philosophy along with the company store and the graft and corruption that came with that, they only have themselves to blame.

Caustic Burno":2ssiio0t said:
TexasBred":2ssiio0t said:
M-5":2ssiio0t said:
I know way too many grown adults with Masters degrees making 30 to 40 k a yr. It's not cases of I love what I do it's they don't know how to do anything
It's not always about the money. Hopefully they are doing what they "want" to do and are very happy at it.

Horse shyt it is always about the money.
Money doesn't buy happiness but the lack sure buys misery.
Nothing in job spells fun, job supplies money to buy fun.
Caustic Burno":2ssiio0t said:
callmefence":2ssiio0t said:
:Fishing is gonna be slow today..

Not really greed and just pure sorry run on both sides of the fence.

FISH ON...Your slipping my friend

Caustic Burno":1va1h81l said:
TexasBred":1va1h81l said:
M-5":1va1h81l said:
I know way too many grown adults with Masters degrees making 30 to 40 k a yr. It's not cases of I love what I do it's they don't know how to do anything
It's not always about the money. Hopefully they are doing what they "want" to do and are very happy at it.

Maybe money is everything to you old man but not to all of us. I've never allowed it to own me and hope I never do. The best job is not always the one that pays the most.

TexasBred":zbigo5qn said:
Caustic Burno":zbigo5qn said:
TexasBred":zbigo5qn said:

Maybe money is everything to you old man but not to all of us. I've never allowed it to own me and hope I never do. The best job is not always the one that pays the most.

That is just bs from those that can't or too lazy to put in the effort.
A job is nothing more than an end to a means.

Caustic Burno":qjv1ipul said:
TexasBred":qjv1ipul said:
Caustic Burno":qjv1ipul said:

That is just bs from those that can't or too lazy to put in the effort.
A job is nothing more than an end to a means.
Maybe for you....not for me. I've got the education and the credentials but I'm not for sale and have turned down a number of jobs over the years that would have been high paying and prestigious but was not going to whore myself out for the almighty dollar and a country club membership.

Just throwing a thought out there.

I have a degree. A fairly specialized degree. I started getting that degree immediately after high school, and finished it in 4 years. I loved to weld, when I got the degree ( and still do). I loved carpentry work, when I got the degree (and still do). That little voice kept telling me to get the degree, so I did. Option was mine at 18 to enter a trade. Option was mine at 22 years old to use the degree, or enter a trade. I used the degree. I think I was 36, when I got injured. I literally never missed a day of work. I was injured on a Sunday, and was to start my vacation on Monday. In a week, I was able to go right back work. I would probably be disabled if I worked a trade. I can do 90% of the things I want to do. I can't do very many things at the type of pace that an employer would expect. I can frame a house, or build a pole barn. I'll get it done, but it'll take me a little while. Pride wouldn't let me hire out to work for somebody at the pace I would go, plus I doubt anybody would hire me. I'd probably finish myself off physically if I did go to work 40 plus hours a week doing manual labor.

I've been thankful many many times, for my job. I've been getting up hay all week. Riding a tractor all week has really stirred up my aches and pains. I'll go back to work Monday, stiff as a board, but I'll be very productive at what I do. When that alarm rings Monday morning, I'll be glad I don't have to climb on a tractor, swing a hammer, or strike an arc.

My son (12 years old) does well in school, and seems to have common sense. Every reason in the world for me to believe that he could get a degree in anything he wanted to. He speaks almost everyday about what he'd like to do when he grows up. Shoe horses, ride colts, and run a few cows. It may be bad advice, but every time the subject comes up, I say the same thing," get a degree in something that requires a degree". It'd take a person of exceptional physical prowess to stand up to those 3 things until they're 62.

I'm not knocking anybody that does physical labor for a living. I'm glad you do, and I wish I could. There is some security with a white collar job though, that you don't get with a trade.

too much "you have to be a worker" not enough.. "be a boss"

Bigfoot":1ir4gy03 said:
Just throwing a thought out there.

I have a degree. A fairly specialized degree. I started getting that degree immediately after high school, and finished it in 4 years. I loved to weld, when I got the degree ( and still do). I loved carpentry work, when I got the degree (and still do). That little voice kept telling me to get the degree, so I did. Option was mine at 18 to enter a trade. Option was mine at 22 years old to use the degree, or enter a trade. I used the degree. I think I was 36, when I got injured. I literally never missed a day of work. I was injured on a Sunday, and was to start my vacation on Monday. In a week, I was able to go right back work. I would probably be disabled if I worked a trade. I can do 90% of the things I want to do. I can't do very many things at the type of pace that an employer would expect. I can frame a house, or build a pole barn. I'll get it done, but it'll take me a little while. Pride wouldn't let me hire out to work for somebody at the pace I would go, plus I doubt anybody would hire me. I'd probably finish myself off physically if I did go to work 40 plus hours a week doing manual labor.

I've been thankful many many times, for my job. I've been getting up hay all week. Riding a tractor all week has really stirred up my aches and pains. I'll go back to work Monday, stiff as a board, but I'll be very productive at what I do. When that alarm rings Monday morning, I'll be glad I don't have to climb on a tractor, swing a hammer, or strike an arc.

My son (12 years old) does well in school, and seems to have common sense. Every reason in the world for me to believe that he could get a degree in anything he wanted to. He speaks almost everyday about what he'd like to do when he grows up. Shoe horses, ride colts, and run a few cows. It may be bad advice, but every time the subject comes up, I say the same thing," get a degree in something that requires a degree". It'd take a person of exceptional physical prowess to stand up to those 3 things until they're 62.

I'm not knocking anybody that does physical labor for a living. I'm glad you do, and I wish I could. There is some security with a white collar job though, that you don't get with a trade.

Very reasoned and well thought out...

Like you, at my age I cannot do some of the things I used to love to do....not sure I could hold up any more doing the things I have done in the past...make my living sitting at a desk mostly today....and thankful that I can still work past normal retirement age.

TexasBred":177h6q22 said:
Caustic Burno":177h6q22 said:
TexasBred":177h6q22 said:

+1

TennesseeTuxedo":1w13i666 said:
Bright Raven":1w13i666 said:
greybeard":1w13i666 said:
Yep Big Govt is Big Business. If some in govt had their way, they'd be the ONLY business.
Self preservation and an ever expanding employee base guarantees there will never be planned or unplanned obsolesce.
There has to be a never ending string of lackeys indoctrinated each year to carry on and each agency works to that end..

Government - federal, state, county, local- is now the major player in our GDP. As an exaggeration perhaps, you could say, Government is our economy.

Government spending or expenditure includes all government consumption, investment, and transfer payments.[1][2] In national income accounting the acquisition by governments of goods and services for current use, to directly satisfy the individual or collective needs of the community, is classed as government final consumption expenditure. Government acquisition of goods and services intended to create future benefits, such as infrastructure investment or research spending, is classed as government investment (government gross capital formation). These two types of government spending, on final consumption and on gross capital formation, together constitute one of the major components of gross domestic product.

Government takes and redistributes. They do not create a damm thing.
Wrong. They create roadblocks and headaches.

BFE":1uj9iikv said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1uj9iikv said:
Bright Raven":1uj9iikv said:
Government - federal, state, county, local- is now the major player in our GDP. As an exaggeration perhaps, you could say, Government is our economy.

Government spending or expenditure includes all government consumption, investment, and transfer payments.[1][2] In national income accounting the acquisition by governments of goods and services for current use, to directly satisfy the individual or collective needs of the community, is classed as government final consumption expenditure. Government acquisition of goods and services intended to create future benefits, such as infrastructure investment or research spending, is classed as government investment (government gross capital formation). These two types of government spending, on final consumption and on gross capital formation, together constitute one of the major components of gross domestic product.

Government takes and redistributes. They do not create a damm thing.
Wrong. They create roadblocks and headaches.

Lol, I stand corrected.

Ryder":1auw4uyi said:
TexasBred":1auw4uyi said:
Caustic Burno":1auw4uyi said:
+1

That is the fantasy it does own you or you wouldn't go or have to work.
You can work for crack whore prices or call girl we all are engaged in prostitution . We sell our lives by the day

Caustic Burno":36oqr7vo said:
Ryder":36oqr7vo said:
TexasBred":36oqr7vo said:
+1

That is the fantasy it does own you or you wouldn't go or have to work.
You can work for crack be nice prices or call girl we all are engaged in prostitution . We sell our lives by the day

Not all of us fit the mould CB. I see your point and realize lots of folks are slaves to their jobs.

Latest posts