Employees few and far between.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":1dnrf1tn said:
zirlottkim":1dnrf1tn said:
https://youtu.be/ZkyBnaYCUhw Inflation is a result of increasing the supply of currency ,especially when the increase of supply is not backed by anything.

What should we back it with.

Could be almost anything. Historically Gold & Silver has been but could add oil, a group of commodities, land. Possibilities are limitless. Anything that could retain its value and was widely recognized as being of value. Right now, most countries do as we do and have fiat paper based on nothing. Adding Digits/Printing paper doesnt make anyone richer. It only causes inflation. The U.S. Dollar has been considered the worlds reserve currency since the early 1900s. The turmoil in Europe back then made storing Gold reserves safer in the U.S. vs their own nation. Since most European countries had gold stored here and we had a strong currency, military and economy it made sense to use the U.S. Dollar for trading world wide. Its all documented history. But there are acts in motion over seas that may change the Dollar world reserve status soon. China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and others have been working on trade deals to eliminate worldwide trading with the U.S. dollar. Also many countries are repatriating their gold and storing in their own country again.

zirlottkim":38t769vy said:
hurleyjd":38t769vy said:
zirlottkim":38t769vy said:
https://youtu.be/ZkyBnaYCUhw Inflation is a result of increasing the supply of currency ,especially when the increase of supply is not backed by anything.

Could be almost anything. Historically Gold & Silver has been but could add oil, a group of commodities, land. Possibilities are limitless. Anything that could retain its value and was widely recognized as being of value. Right now, most countries do as we do and have fiat paper based on nothing. Adding Digits/Printing paper doesnt make anyone richer. It only causes inflation. The U.S. Dollar has been considered the worlds reserve currency since the early 1900s. The turmoil in Europe back then made storing Gold reserves safer in the U.S. vs their own nation. Since most European countries had gold stored here and we had a strong currency, military and economy it made sense to use the U.S. Dollar for trading world wide. Its all documented history. But there are acts in motion over seas that may change the Dollar world reserve status soon. China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and others have been working on trade deals to eliminate worldwide trading with the U.S. dollar. Also many countries are repatriating their gold and storing in their own country again.
U.S. Debt is backed by U.S. Treasuries which have a stated interest rate. Most are 30 year term but some are issued for shorter periods. They are traded everyday and can be a good source of income.

TexasBred":1jzspx3k said:
zirlottkim":1jzspx3k said:
hurleyjd":1jzspx3k said:

U.S. Debt is backed by U.S. Treasuries which have a stated interest rate. Most are 30 year term but some are issued for shorter periods. They are traded everyday and can be a good source of income.

I havent been keeping up with the rate of return but I can bet treasury bonds are not keeping up with real inflation much less increasing value or purchasing power. Maybe pre 2008 but I doubt now. Im sure you disagree with me and I respect your opinions on this forum. Maybe I'm all wrong in my thinking. Im sure not an expert and have no formal education on these subjects. But I do read a lot and can see the devaluing of money over my lifetime.

zirlottkim":3snvcjuy said:
TexasBred":3snvcjuy said:
zirlottkim":3snvcjuy said:
[/b]

I havent been keeping up with the rate of return but I can bet treasury bonds are not keeping up with real inflation much less increasing value or purchasing power. Maybe pre 2008 but I doubt now. Im sure you disagree with me and I respect your opinions on this forum. Maybe I'm all wrong in my thinking. Im sure not an expert and have no formal education on these subjects. But I do read a lot and can see the devaluing of money over my lifetime.
Who knows. Heck I don't even know what current inflation rate is. Treasury's carry a stated rate like 4,5,6%, however, when auctioned you will either buy discounted which raises your yield or pay a premium for higher rate treasuries which can lower your yield. For instance a 1 Million $$ treasury might have an interest rate of 1.5% but you may also be able to buy it at 90% of par which will raise your return (examples are not real...just numbers). ;-) Then you may also trade ten times a day and make profit off each trade.

hurleyjd":3itrhl8e said:
zirlottkim":3itrhl8e said:

back your money with gold, gold, gold, gold, silver, silver, silver, silver. Put your money in commodities. I have very little CASH in the bank, little in 401k. My money is in commodities. Look at my signiture. Look at the times in history countries have had to repay debt that they couldn't and then just started printing money that no one wanted. Venezuela today Germany in the early 1900s. Its coming, so do not be caught off gaurd. Its not if the dollar will crash but when. We are 2o trillion in debt but our debt obligations are in the 200 trillions when you add up the entitlement program Social Security Medicaid Medicare. That's why all the foreign countries are getting out of the dollar cause they know the crash is coming.

BK9954":1wp85bol said:
hurleyjd":1wp85bol said:
zirlottkim":1wp85bol said:

back your money with gold, gold, gold, gold, silver, silver, silver, silver. Put your money in commodities. I have very little CASH in the bank, little in 401k. My money is in commodities. Look at my signiture. Look at the times in history countries have had to repay debt that they couldn't and then just started printing money that no one wanted. Venezuela today Germany in the early 1900s. Its coming, so do not be caught off gaurd. Its not if the dollar will crash but when. We are 2o trillion in debt but our debt obligations are in the 200 trillions when you add up the entitlement program Social Security Medicaid Medicare. That's why all the foreign countries are getting out of the dollar cause they know the crash is coming.
The commodity market can drop just as fast as the stock market. Don't be fooled. Remember $8.00 corn?? BTW other countries are almost fighting to buy US debt and always will.

TexasBred":1c52y470 said:
BK9954":1c52y470 said:
hurleyjd":1c52y470 said:
The commodity market can drop just as fast as the stock market. Don't be fooled. Remember $8.00 corn?? BTW other countries are almost fighting to buy US debt and always will.
Nope, when we arent the reserve currency people are going to run. China has sold billions of our treasury bonds in the last few years.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-1 ... uries-2011

Commodities will go up and down with the value of the dollar and the supply and demand. Gold may still be worth relative $1250 an ounce as it is now but if 100% hyper inflation hits with some major crisis, It could be worth $2500 on ounce, since the dollar dropped in half, or bread from $2 to $4 overnight.(100% is just example, hyperinflation keeps going up) If you watch the world banking systems along with government currencies and what has happened in the past, we are in a bubble that will pop, should have popped already, the international community was just not ready yet. We dont have enough GDP to justify the value of the dollar. Everyone knows it, and we use the printing press to dominate the world, and they hate is for it, have for a while. Our American credit card is going to get declined sooner or later. Creditors want a payment and we cant keep up. I dont want to be sitting here with some toilet paper that has $100 on it. Or.... if hyper inflation hits hard they can just shut down the banks, what are you going to do then. A couple ounces of silver could get some gas or food. Germany after world war 1 had it, they took stacks of bills just to buy bread. Venezuela going through it now, they had to sell the countrys gold reserves. There is a black market for food since the currency is worthless. Couldnt even import toilet paper into the country. If you have a job that can survive the pop, mine probably wont, and enough valuables to pay the bills while the dust settles, hopefully your wages would balance out based on the value of the dollar. Hopefully. The main thing is to have enough to pay the property taxes so you dont lose the farm. Same old same old mentality is a dangerous place to be. Diversity in commodities is good. Not just gold and silver. Cattle, pigs, alcohol, farming, tobacco, farm equipment, garden supplies, anything people go for when times are tough. Toilet paper might be a good one. Also rental properties might be okay if people are having to sell their houses and downgrade. You never know, but I wouldnt put all my eggs in one basket.

The govt is in on and facilitating the biggest scam of all time. The education system in our country is broken and the govt is who broke it.

Rafter S":31raenmr said:
Normally I'm in favor of keeping the government limited to the bare minimum, but if job training will get people off welfare we all benefit, and I don't have a problem with using government funds for it. Again, that's if it gets them off welfare.

That's a BIG IF. There is no shortage of opportunity in this country. Most of those people are there because of their own doing.

Private message me and I will send you my address and you can mail me all of your greenbacks. They are worthless.

hurleyjd":2azkvrwa said:
Private message me and I will send you my address and you can mail me all of your greenbacks. They are worthless.
:lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: Yep....doesn't matter if you own gold, securities, commodities or anything else....when you sell you get paid in greenbacks. Then you can spend the rest of your life trying to figure out what they are really worth. :lol2: :lol2: Even all that US debt the Chinese are supposedly selling is paid back in greenbacks. :nod:

TexasBred":1esjdt5w said:
hurleyjd":1esjdt5w said:
:lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: Yep....doesn't matter if you own gold, securities, commodities or anything else....when you sell you get paid in greenbacks. Then you can spend the rest of your life trying to figure out what they are really worth. :lol2: :lol2: Even all that US debt the Chinese are supposedly selling is paid back in greenbacks. :nod:

Must be doing something right even Iran will take our greenbacks.

TexasBred":2ptxq4he said:
hurleyjd":2ptxq4he said:

I think and probable wrong that the largest part US debt is owed to Americans through trust funds that money was taken from and interest bearing notes replaced to be paid at a later date. Trust funds such as Social Security, military pensions government pensions and any where money that was set aside for future pay outs. My wife and I own a pretty good sized investment in Savings bonds we have accumulated over the years. We have some that are matured and we cash them and the next quarter the interest is greater on the rest we own after cashing. Some are paying in the 6 percent range.
I would like to add that in 1985 we cashed $30000 bonds to build a diary barn that is being over grown with trees. Not much demand for a family sized diary. Only 108 acres with about 20 percent in woods.
The rest of the bonds date back to 1984 and there has been a 170 percent gain in value over what we paid for them.

TexasBred":347beiy7 said:
hurleyjd":347beiy7 said:
Hope your right but your not. You may not see it in your life time but I will and so will my darn kids and grandkids. Dont say I didnt try to warn but oh well, keep on relying on the good ole' American Ponzi scheme to base your future on. I gotta get to the cattle, talk later

hurleyjd":afx25irr said:
Not now but make you a deal, when hyper inflation hits I will buy every cow you have at 200% todays value. Since you have so much faith in the future of the dollar when it bounces back you will be rich! :roll: Everyone here who doesnt prepare and lose everything, I will rent you a a cot to sleep on and feed you 1 meal a day, but must pay in commodities or labor, no dollars accepted. My pig pens need cleaning and fences will need mending, and ammo will be accepted as currency. :cowboy: The mess Roosevelt started has spun out of control. The generation of my grandfather and great grandfather benefited from it and now my generation and my kids are left to suffer the consequences. Hold on kids, this ride is gonna get bumpy.

BK you are right to some extent. There is some thing coming, when or how bad is any ones guess.

Look at the value of all these other forms of currency. They are all on the rise.

My brother preaches all time that you need to own paid for assets and not have any debt when this thing hits. He said if you have cash available you will be able to buy any thing you want.

These low interest rates and loose lending regs make a lot the poorest of people feel rich.

Brute 23":58w6ugpn said:
BK you are right to some extent. There is some thing coming, when or how bad is any ones guess.

Look at the value of all these other forms of currency. They are all on the rise.

My brother preaches all time that you need to own paid for assets and not have any debt when this thing hits. He said if you have cash available you will be able to buy any thing you want.

These low interest rates and loose lending regs make a lot the poorest of people feel rich.
Yeah bitcoin has me puzzled, people that have that will eithet get filthy rich or lose it all. Wierd being a digital currency. People will default on all the debt. With my commodities me and my family are invested in, we can pay off anything we owe depending how high the inflation goes. Oh and dont come to the house looking, only a fool would keep any valuables at the house. A lady from the federal reserve in Dallas was on a show recently, said the way they grade the health of the economy is based on loans. She said there are record high defaults on car loans from 2015. She said when people default on transportation, its a very bad sign of economic health. Unemployment is low because it doesnt account for all of the people who have outright dropped out of the work force. We are not doing as good as people think. Sales are low in the restuarant industry, auto industry, not looking good. The stock market is artificially inflated but that will balance out and people will lose a lot on that one. It would be wise to sell now.

I was sitting with some guys on a hunting lease a couple weeks ago. They are all fairly wealthy. They all had decent amounts of money in several of the digital currencies.

Last week when I went to trade my truck in the value of my old truck was based off of what a bank would lend the next person to buy it. That should tell you right there how things work. So basically if the bank says its good... its good. If the bank says its bad... its bad. People eat that up... they worship these banks and make them rich. They would give me lower interest rates and more incentives to do 5 and 6 year loans. You want to know why vehicles are $65K... because they bank will lend it. You want to know why a college educations is $10K a semester... because the bank will lend it.

The down side to all that is we will all be affected when these banks crash because my truck wont be worth jack because the majority of people can't get out there check book and buy it if they had to. You house won't be worth squat because there won't be any one to buy it if the bank doesn't make a loan for them. Our cattle won't be worth squat because the buyers can't get lines of credit from the banks.

We are 100% dependent on the banks to operate our whole economy. Supply and demand, actual value of an asset, how much some thing can actually return in revenue are all secondary to the bank. The banks control the market.

BK9954":2byokaol said:
Brute 23":2byokaol said:

Yeah bitcoin has me puzzled, people that have that will eithet get filthy rich or lose it all. Wierd being a digital currency. People will default on all the debt. With my commodities me and my family are invested in, we can pay off anything we owe depending how high the inflation goes. Oh and dont come to the house looking, only a fool would keep any valuables at the house. A lady from the federal reserve in Dallas was on a show recently, said the way they grade the health of the economy is based on loans. She said there are record high defaults on car loans from 2015. She said when people default on transportation, its a very bad sign of economic health. Unemployment is low because it doesnt account for all of the people who have outright dropped out of the work force. We are not doing as good as people think. Sales are low in the restuarant industry, auto industry, not looking good. The stock market is artificially inflated but that will balance out and people will lose a lot on that one. It would be wise to sell now.

The last quarter was our best in 38 years in the restaurant business. I have more hope every day for our country. We finally have someone trying to rebuild US and not tear US down.

True Grit Farms":u2bb22cj said:
BK9954":u2bb22cj said:
Brute 23":u2bb22cj said:

The last quarter was our best in 38 years in the restaurant business. I have more hope every day for our country. We finally have someone trying to rebuild US and not tear US down.
Congress is not going to let that happen. Have you listened to what kind of health care bill they are trying to pass? What ever happened to repeal? Where did the replace come from? Still taking us over the cliff. Congress has been bought off. Only a few conservatives up there, and I even question their integrity.

Brute 23":2aya69h1 said:
I was sitting with some guys on a hunting lease a couple weeks ago. They are all fairly wealthy. They all had decent amounts of money in several of the digital currencies.

Last week when I went to trade my truck in the value of my old truck was based off of what a bank would lend the next person to buy it. That should tell you right there how things work. So basically if the bank says its good... its good. If the bank says its bad... its bad. People eat that up... they worship these banks and make them rich. They would give me lower interest rates and more incentives to do 5 and 6 year loans. You want to know why vehicles are $65K... because they bank will lend it. You want to know why a college educations is $10K a semester... because the bank will lend it.

The down side to all that is we will all be affected when these banks crash because my truck wont be worth jack because the majority of people can't get out there check book and buy it if they had to. You house won't be worth squat because there won't be any one to buy it if the bank doesn't make a loan for them. Our cattle won't be worth squat because the buyers can't get lines of credit from the banks.

We are 100% dependent on the banks to operate our whole economy. Supply and demand, actual value of an asset, how much some thing can actually return in revenue are all secondary to the bank. The banks control the market.
Bush should have let them fail and the free market would have let the banks that could manage their money survive or spring up. Instead they bailed them out and gave them a credit line to free cash and interest free loans. A lot of that money went into the stock market. If hyper inflation hits and banks survive they will repo and own everything. Hopefully cattle and livestock have "some" value in the export market. Soup kitchens and food lines will have to get supplies from somewhere in the domestic market. Hopefully its not through confiscation.

Latest posts