Riding and Shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

So you're saying recreating the wild west wasn't about shooting balloons, but riding by and shooting head sized stationary targets 4-5 feet off the ground. Maybe they could put red confetti in the balloons to enhance Burno's fantasy life.
What exactly is your problem with it? What exactly do we need to do to please you here? If you're obsessed with making it historically accurate we can always drop you off in period clothing with a horse and a gun over on the rez and wait to see you on the news.

It's a subject of some conjecture and Mr. Allison will probably get on to me for it but in our family we've always started the gun breaking by putting cowbells on them.
I just always shoot around them. Start out with a 22 while they are eating. And they are always around other gun broke horses. Rarely does it take more than an hour or two to gun break a horse. When people come to the CMS exhibitions, the horses have been hearing the gun fire as they get closer and closer to the arena. Then yopu park in the trailer area and tack them up, and there is gunfire the whole time. Then you ride up to the arena and sit on him while you watch the vent. Then, when it is time to try yours spout, you get in the arena with a CMS on horseback. You lope around the rail with the shooter loping beside you. He will shoot his gun on the off side while you lope around the arena. Then, he wil hand you one to shoot off of yours when you lope around. If you use the horse ear plugs, and are always careful to shoot off to the side and never over hois head, where he can get powder burned, most horses are good to shoot off of that first day. Lot easier to gun break a horse than a dog, IMO.

Last edited:
I just always shoot around them. STart oput with a 22 while they are eating. And they are always around other gun broke horses. Rarely does it take more than an hour or two to gun brea ka horse. When people come to the CMS exhibitions, the horses have been hearing the gun fire as they get closer and closer to the arena. Then yopu park in the trailer area and tack them up, and there is gunfire the whole time. Then you ride up to the arena and sit on him while you watch the vent. Then, when it is time to try yours spout, you get in the arena with a CMS on horseback. You lope around the rail with the shooter loping beside you. He will shoot his gun on the off side while you lope around the arena. Then, he wil hand you one to shoot off of yours when you lope around. If you use the horse ear plugs, and are always careful to shoot off to the side and never over hois head, where he can get powder burned, most horses are good to shoot off of that first day. Lot easier to gun break a horse than a dog, IMO.
How do you feel about the bag treatment for touch-shy horses?

It's a subject of some conjecture and Mr. Allison will probably get on to me for it but in our family we've always started the gun breaking by putting cowbells on them.
No that was the wisdom gaining experience! I was a teenager working for a fairly large ranch of 1200 acres.
I had started working for Mr Wiggins at 14 feeding his horses. He gave me my first registered quarter horse filly. He gave me several more high dollar horses through the years. The saddle I mentioned he gave me that as well.
The video reminded me a lot of him. He was absolutely the best I had ever seen sit a horse, he was amazing with a rope. He had horses running on several state tracks. Mr Wiggins was running cattle on about a 1000 acres of the old West Ranch. He sold me my first cow for practically nothing also and I ran my cattle with his for several year's.
I happened to be on my hammerhead gelding Appaloosa that morning. The horses name was Damnit if that tells you anything. I never did get that horse trained to shoot off of and should have knew better he was always spooky, a train whistle or motorcycle come around you had better buckle up. I did have two quarter horse mares I trained.

In a previous life, I was ate up with any/all firearms competition, and I was good. I could even hit moving targets and objects thrown, as long as I was standing still. If I was the one moving, I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

It was an expensive hobby so I had to give it up and do something I could afford, like raising kids. Now that they're all grown, my wife is strongly encouraging me to get a hobby, so I may consider something like this.

We don't have horses anymore, but we have a Jenny. Elfrita is old and slow like me, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

In a previous life, I was ate up with any/all firearms competition, and I was good. I could even hit moving targets and objects thrown, as long as I was standing still. If I was the one moving, I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

It was an expensive hobby so I had to give it up and do something I could afford, like raising kids. Now that they're all grown, my wife is strongly encouraging me to get a hobby, so I may consider something like this.

We don't have horses anymore, but we have a Jenny. Elfrita is old and slow like me, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.
I have an old Jenny as well she's 40! The only thing on this place slower than me.
I shot competition trap for years and it was expensive as you said, it wasn't the most expensive compared to some others. With my cervical issues my riding and competition shooting a 12 gauge is history.
My bird gun now is an O/U 28 gauge and shot in moderation.

I have an old Jenny as well she's 40! The only thing on this place slower than me.
I shot competition trap for years and it was expensive as you said, it wasn't the most expensive compared to some others. With my cervical issues my riding and competition shooting a 12 gauge is history.
My bird gun now is an O/U 28 gauge and shot in moderation.
I would just say "neck" if I was talking about my cervical issues, especially on the forever.net:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts