Employees few and far between.

Help Support CattleToday:

Draper":248x5504 said:
There's definitely a shortage of skill-- you can want to frame a house all you want but without any training, you're not going to get much done. Modern k-12 education prepares students for private sector employment in service and technology.. Unfortunately, those that lack the capacity to excel in those industries really struggle as they have never had any exposure or training to anything else. K-12 needs to accept that everyone is not "college material" and bring back the trades: plumbing, electrical, carpentry, auto mechanics, auto body, etc. I know several millennials in these trades and they are ALL doing exceptionally well-- but the kicker is that the only millennials I know that fall into this category are ones that had the luxury of growing up in the family business and thus got the exposure/training necessary to make a career out of it. Another prohibiting factor is inflation: look at any purchasing power calculator. In the baby boomer's heyday, young men could support a household on apprentice/journeymen wages.. Today, fulfilling this same role you'd be hard pressed to afford a 1 bedroom apt. Compensation at the top has skyrocketed. In the early 70s, CEO compensation was around 30 times that of avg employee. Today, that number is 300 times. The fat cats have become accustomed to discounted labor costs via immigrants... Wages will have to increase in order for trade jobs to ever have the appeal they once had-- Paying skilled framers/plumbers $14/hr isn't going to cut it

Comment on the top end salaries: Amazing how many Corporate Executives make more than that many employees under them.

Yep Big Govt is Big Business. If some in govt had their way, they'd be the ONLY business.
Self preservation and an ever expanding employee base guarantees there will never be planned or unplanned obsolesce.
There has to be a never ending string of lackeys indoctrinated each year to carry on and each agency works to that end..

greybeard":aj4pt3nj said:
Yep Big Govt is Big Business. If some in govt had their way, they'd be the ONLY business.
Self preservation and an ever expanding employee base guarantees there will never be planned or unplanned obsolesce.
There has to be a never ending string of lackeys indoctrinated each year to carry on and each agency works to that end..

Government - federal, state, county, local- is now the major player in our GDP. As an exaggeration perhaps, you could say, Government is our economy.

Government spending or expenditure includes all government consumption, investment, and transfer payments.[1][2] In national income accounting the acquisition by governments of goods and services for current use, to directly satisfy the individual or collective needs of the community, is classed as government final consumption expenditure. Government acquisition of goods and services intended to create future benefits, such as infrastructure investment or research spending, is classed as government investment (government gross capital formation). These two types of government spending, on final consumption and on gross capital formation, together constitute one of the major components of gross domestic product.

To many sit in the house infront of a computer or on a video game as kids. So they want a soft cushie job in a office doing pretty Much the same....so it's to heck with dirt and sweat...welder shortage right now..

Bright Raven":23rw2tah said:
greybeard":23rw2tah said:

Government - federal, state, county, local- is now the major player in our GDP. As an exaggeration perhaps, you could say, Government is our economy.

Government spending or expenditure includes all government consumption, investment, and transfer payments.[1][2] In national income accounting the acquisition by governments of goods and services for current use, to directly satisfy the individual or collective needs of the community, is classed as government final consumption expenditure. Government acquisition of goods and services intended to create future benefits, such as infrastructure investment or research spending, is classed as government investment (government gross capital formation). These two types of government spending, on final consumption and on gross capital formation, together constitute one of the major components of gross domestic product.

Government takes and redistributes. They do not create a damm thing.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ggg8rsf said:
Bright Raven":2ggg8rsf said:
greybeard":2ggg8rsf said:

Government takes and redistributes. They do not create a damm thing.

Correct. Nothing in the foregoing says they add value, manufacture or create. What government does do is bring in foreign money and buy goods and services. In that capacity, the governments add to the GDP.

What about the taxes collected and directed to the school system? Aren't we all paying for someone's education? What about those who have no children, their still paying for someone!

I think the idea was to have someone able to count change and function in a productive way, but sports and other activities become the focus.

If youngsters are not required to do something, chores around the house to start, we end up with folks who don't know what work is, much less interested in doing anything when older.

I am about up to here with the atttitude that the government is the solution to every thing in life.....

most likely the government is the original source of the problem....

a politicians job is to build an empire and usually personal wealth.

a bureaucrats job is to grow the bureaucracy and elevate his or her position in it.

and it is all packaged as a device to make john does life better at every turn...

Bright Raven":2vezdzo4 said:
Correct. Nothing in the foregoing says they add value, manufacture or create. What government does do is bring in foreign money and buy goods and services. In that capacity, the governments add to the GDP.
Yeah..because increasing govt debt to fund agencies is always a good thing... :roll: Good luck trying to convince anyone here of that.
You a Gruber understudy?

greybeard":3r8z6teh said:
Bright Raven":3r8z6teh said:
Yeah..because increasing govt debt to fund agencies is always a good thing... :roll: Good luck trying to convince anyone here of that.
You a Gruber understudy?
You meant goober understudy
You do realize this is a government created BEM that your debating.

greybeard":28q6e044 said:
Bright Raven":28q6e044 said:
You a Gruber understudy?

I agree. I said I agree. The point: that consumption is a contribution to the GDP. No other assertion is intended or implied.

Ol' 243":1ud3jnsk said:
Government getting involved in training folks to work, will just turn into another form of welfare.

Who do you think trained all the airline, and helo pilots? The VA bill isn't a big deal for continuing education anymore, but at one time the majority of the doctors were in the military and used it.

Bright Raven":3gd1snyi said:
greybeard":3gd1snyi said:
Bright Raven":3gd1snyi said:
You a Gruber understudy?

I agree. I said I agree. The point: that consumption is a contribution to the GDP. No other assertion is intended or implied.
All things, positive and negative are 'contributions', and the negative (and neutral) ones have to be considered in any paradigm.
I've already noted that the Original Poster cherry picked which specific rulings to bring to my attention in the 'Greybeard' thread.

Draper":34rl4d27 said:
There's definitely a shortage of skill-- you can want to frame a house all you want but without any training, you're not going to get much done. Modern k-12 education prepares students for private sector employment in service and technology.. Unfortunately, those that lack the capacity to excel in those industries really struggle as they have never had any exposure or training to anything else. K-12 needs to accept that everyone is not "college material" and bring back the trades: plumbing, electrical, carpentry, auto mechanics, auto body, etc. I know several millennials in these trades and they are ALL doing exceptionally well-- but the kicker is that the only millennials I know that fall into this category are ones that had the luxury of growing up in the family business and thus got the exposure/training necessary to make a career out of it. Another prohibiting factor is inflation: look at any purchasing power calculator. In the baby boomer's heyday, young men could support a household on apprentice/journeymen wages.. Today, fulfilling this same role you'd be hard pressed to afford a 1 bedroom apt. Compensation at the top has skyrocketed. In the early 70s, CEO compensation was around 30 times that of avg employee. Today, that number is 300 times. The fat cats have become accustomed to discounted labor costs via immigrants... Wages will have to increase in order for trade jobs to ever have the appeal they once had-- Paying skilled framers/plumbers $14/hr isn't going to cut it

Framing a house, building a fence, roofing, welding all the same....You want to learn it all you have to do is get a job and show up ready to work everyday..that's where the problem lies

callmefence":3i6pda7j said:
Draper":3i6pda7j said:

Framing a house, building a fence, roofing, welding all the same....You want to learn it all you have to do is get a job and show up ready to work everyday..that's where the problem lies

I work with the Local Home builder association that promotes trade schools to the tri states 8th graders every year we have several thousands come thru the 3 day event. Its time for people to understand that wasting 4 yrs at college to get a min wage job is not how its supposed to work.

M-5":2eym2zpj said:
callmefence":2eym2zpj said:
Draper":2eym2zpj said:

I work with the Local Home builder association that promotes trade schools to the tri states 8th graders every year we have several thousands come thru the 3 day event. Its time for people to understand that wasting 4 yrs at college to get a min wage job is not how its supposed to work.

I recently googled..average wage of a epa field agent. I was glad to find out I am not pecking shyt with the chickens.... :cowboy:

callmefence":fbpdq47r said:
M-5":fbpdq47r said:
callmefence":fbpdq47r said:

I recently googled..average wage of a epa field agent. I was glad to find out I am not pecking shyt with the chickens.... :cowboy:
Are you saying the paper with all them letters and degrees is only valuable once you use it to wipe yo azz.

M-5":21fz9p1a said:
callmefence":21fz9p1a said:
M-5":21fz9p1a said:

Are you saying the paper with all them letters and degrees is only valuable once you use it to wipe yo azz.

Well not exactly. I am saying that a honest hard working man can be quite successful without being trained like a mule. Especially by the government.. :roll:
Or without spending a fortune and a several years paying for a piece of paper.

callmefence":2r8mo990 said:
M-5":2r8mo990 said:
callmefence":2r8mo990 said:

Fence, federal pay scales are not that simple. I retired in the Denver Locality pay area. I retired at a GS 13 Step 10. Here is the scale:

GS 13 92969 96068 99167 102265 105364 108463 111562 114661 117759 120858

In today's dollars, my salary was $120,858 per year. I was a Remedial Project Manager over the Clean-up of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal near Denver where the Department of Defense conducted deployment tests for chemical and biological weapons. Mostly, sarin and mustard gas.

When I retired, I had 33 years of service. My high three was about $120,000 per year. Rolling my unused sick leave into the equation, I retired with appropriately 60 % of my salary.

Bright Raven":1zv4qrc1 said:
callmefence":1zv4qrc1 said:
M-5":1zv4qrc1 said:

Fence, federal pay scales are not that simple. I retired in the Denver Locality pay area. I retired at a GS 13 Step 10. Here is the scale:

GS 13 92969 96068 99167 102265 105364 108463 111562 114661 117759 120858

In today's dollars, my salary was $120,858 per year. I was a Remedial Project Manager over the Clean-up of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal near Denver where the Department of Defense conducted deployment tests for chemical and biological weapons. Mostly, sarin and mustard gas.

When I retired, I had 33 years of service. My high three was about $120,000 per year. Rolling my unused sick leave into the equation, I retired with appropriately 60 % of my salary.

Well I certainly don't get sick leave.

Latest posts