Elk Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411":1mf49q7s said:
the guys he goes with have an unsaid rule against women going - which really t's me off. But what can I do?
Rock salt aimed at their _________.

That'll teach them.

Bama":d2599rz1 said:
El_Putzo":d2599rz1 said:
Hey Bama,

Hopefully this won't give away your spot too much, Bama, but how far were you from Craig, or Baggs Wyoming? We go out every other year during one of the rifle seasons and we hunt a private 10,000 acre ranch called Wilderness Ranch that borders Routt on the west side. We go up into Routt for some of the hunt, but we have a cabin on the Wilderness Ranch that we stay in. The cabin is at about 9000 ft.

This will only make sense to you.

After leaving the highway go to the last cabin on the right before coming to the tee in the road. Your place should be near here. Go through the aspen and turn right at that tee. Look to your left at that sandy mountain face. Continue untill you come to the Y, take the right fork and continue through the gate. After the gate and the shaded dangerous curve in the road turn right at the next road. Continue to the end of this road and your in camp. Ever heard of the meat hole, 3 poles, airplane crash? Small world ain't it. Chances are if you have hunted the area we have met at some point. If you ain't been out there in a couple of years you will be surprized to find you now have more neighbors. Several cabins have been built lately. If your going out this year I'll give you the location of a massive buck. BTW there are a lot more deer this year than in the past. On the drive in from the main road after the really sharpe curve that a lot of folks run off is a large field on the right. I counted 34 deer standing in it one evening.

Wow, this is freaky. We went up last year. I shot a decent mulie about a mile west of the meat hole. One of my buddies got to watch a whole heard of elk on the next ridge over past the meat hole. There was a guy that shot a nice bull elk and my buddy watched the whole thing from across the fence through his binoculars. Do you go every year?

Last year a couple of my buddies wandered down off the NW corner of the ranch and got lost. No GPS with them. I finally made radio contact and had to drive down the road to Baggs quite a ways to pick them up. They encountered some hunters on the lands they walked across that were not too friendly. They just wanted to find there way out or back, and these other hunters wouldn't give them directions. :shock:

Anyway. After you come on to the ranch from the highway, there is a fork in the road, if you go right it takes you up towards the national forest. If you take a left there and go about 1/4 of a mile, there is a road to the right that makes a little circle about 1 mile long. We are the first cabin on the right up that road.

El_Putzo":2trq0149 said:
Bama":2trq0149 said:
El_Putzo":2trq0149 said:
Hey Bama,

Hopefully this won't give away your spot too much, Bama, but how far were you from Craig, or Baggs Wyoming? We go out every other year during one of the rifle seasons and we hunt a private 10,000 acre ranch called Wilderness Ranch that borders Routt on the west side. We go up into Routt for some of the hunt, but we have a cabin on the Wilderness Ranch that we stay in. The cabin is at about 9000 ft.

This will only make sense to you.

After leaving the highway go to the last cabin on the right before coming to the tee in the road. Your place should be near here. Go through the aspen and turn right at that tee. Look to your left at that sandy mountain face. Continue untill you come to the Y, take the right fork and continue through the gate. After the gate and the shaded dangerous curve in the road turn right at the next road. Continue to the end of this road and your in camp. Ever heard of the meat hole, 3 poles, airplane crash? Small world ain't it. Chances are if you have hunted the area we have met at some point. If you ain't been out there in a couple of years you will be surprized to find you now have more neighbors. Several cabins have been built lately. If your going out this year I'll give you the location of a massive buck. BTW there are a lot more deer this year than in the past. On the drive in from the main road after the really sharpe curve that a lot of folks run off is a large field on the right. I counted 34 deer standing in it one evening.

Wow, this is freaky. We went up last year. I shot a decent mulie about a mile west of the meat hole. One of my buddies got to watch a whole heard of elk on the next ridge over past the meat hole. There was a guy that shot a nice bull elk and my buddy watched the whole thing from across the fence through his binoculars. Do you go every year?

Last year a couple of my buddies wandered down off the NW corner of the ranch and got lost. No GPS with them. I finally made radio contact and had to drive down the road to Baggs quite a ways to pick them up. They encountered some hunters on the lands they walked across that were not too friendly. They just wanted to find there way out or back, and these other hunters wouldn't give them directions. :shock:

Anyway. After you come on to the ranch from the highway, there is a fork in the road, if you go right it takes you up towards the national forest. If you take a left there and go about 1/4 of a mile, there is a road to the right that makes a little circle about 1 mile long. We are the first cabin on the right up that road.

i can't say that i know exactly where ya'll are talking bout, but its near here. well sorta. routt county, the west end, is about 2.5 hrs from here. i'm in western rio blanco. hope ya'll had good hunting. first season was a bust down here. gonna have to go for over the counter 4th season i'm thinkin.

I only go to that area about every other year. I have probally been 6 times now. I used to hunt around Gunnison. I hunted there probally 5 times. I don't make it to Co. ever year. I bounce back to bear hunting in Northern Maine, hog hunting in Texas, fishing in Canada, I have 4 weeks vacation from work and try to spend two weeks hunting somewhere. Don't get the idea I have a lot of heads hanging on the wall. I do a lot more hunting than shooting. LOL

i shot a 5 x 5 bull in colorado this season, archery hunting. had a real good time, weather wasn't to hot or to cold. we saw a total of 12 bears between all of us. we didn't have any bear tags so we didn't shoot any of them.

sam":llbngjhc said:
i shot a 5 x 5 bull in colorado this season, archery hunting. had a real good time, weather wasn't to hot or to cold. we saw a total of 12 bears between all of us. we didn't have any bear tags so we didn't shoot any of them.

i'm still waiting for my bull to come find me. i know he's out there some where.

my 18 year old boy got a 5x6 bull elk up the valley from our place.....the buddy he went with got a 6x6, but by the time they got my son's elk out, a grizzly had taken the friend's elk and had a meal!!! fortunately, they got some pretty good pix!!
:shock:

Latest posts