Elk Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama

Reaction score
Gonna be gone for a couple of weeks. Elk season is opening in Colorado. I've been busting my hump all week trying to get the pastures bushhogged and all of the other chores that need tending. I was on a tractor well after dark tonight. Man I hate bushing hogging late at night. Them ant hills slip up on you. I still like about 20 acres. I should finish tomorrow before leaving out early tuesday. Ya'll be safe and stay out of trouble.

BAMA

Bama":2nkm26ac said:
Gonna be gone for a couple of weeks. Elk season is opening in Colorado. I've been busting my hump all week trying to get the pastures bushhogged and all of the other chores that need tending. I was on a tractor well after dark tonight. Man I hate bushing hogging late at night. Them ant hills slip up on you. I still like about 20 acres. I should finish tomorrow before leaving out early tuesday. Ya'll be safe and stay out of trouble.

BAMA

What part of Colorado?

Send us a few steaks Bama. I had an elk steak a few years ago in Colorado. Extra good meal. I hear they are releasing some here in the south. Have you heard that?

msscamp,
You should know better than to ask an elk hunter where he is going. Around here elk hunting spots are well kept secrets. Whenever someone asks me where I hunt elk I reply, "if I told you, I would have to shoot you."
Dave

Dave":1u72bqf8 said:
msscamp,
You should know better than to ask an elk hunter where he is going. Around here elk hunting spots are well kept secrets. Whenever someone asks me where I hunt elk I reply, "if I told you, I would have to shoot you."
Dave

:lol:

Dave":1i6d6jff said:
msscamp,
Dave

I am not a hunter, nor is anyone in my family so I honestly had no idea. :eek: :oops: :oops:

Sounds like fun, Bama. :) What are you hunting, bulls or cows?

Post pics when you get back. ;-)

I wish I was going. Have spent many an Elk season packing in with horses and mules. There is just something about the high country that makes you feel so good. I would call it camping with a gun if we didn't have any luck. Great times were had by all.

msscamp":kmp7js3v said:
I am not a hunter, nor is anyone in my family so I honestly had no idea. :eek: :oops: :oops:

Don't be embarrassed, Msscamp. You had every reason to ask. No harm done. Hunters always ask each other where they are headed. I bow hunted unit 28 in Colorado - in Arapaho National Forest in September. I told everyone who asked.

Most units are several thousand acres, so just knowing the general area, you can't possibly affect anyone's hunting potential unless it is purely coincidental.

Personally, I think Dave's response was in jest, although slightly rude.

Dusty Britches":mm32o45e said:
msscamp":mm32o45e said:

Don't be embarrassed, Msscamp. You had every reason to ask. No harm done. Hunters always ask each other where they are headed. I bow hunted unit 28 in Colorado - in Arapaho National Forest in September. I told everyone who asked.

Most units are several thousand acres, so just knowing the general area, you can't possibly affect anyone's hunting potential unless it is purely coincidental.

Personally, I think Dave's response was in jest, although slightly rude.

Thanks, Dusty Britches. :) You are probably right, Dave is a bit mischevious, but just in case it wasn't......

Sorry Msscamp. It was in jest. With you being from Wyoming and literally everyone I have ever met from Wyo either hunts elk or has relatives that do so I thought you would understand. I do tell people that if I told them where I hunt I would have to shoot them. But it is tongue in cheek. One of the problems with humor over the internet is that both people are missing all the gestures, facial expressions, and voice changes that are part of communicating humor.
Dave

Dave":33emp9hi said:
Sorry Msscamp. It was in jest. With you being from Wyoming and literally everyone I have ever met from Wyo either hunts elk or has relatives that do so I thought you would understand. I do tell people that if I told them where I hunt I would have to shoot them. But it is tongue in cheek. One of the problems with humor over the internet is that both people are missing all the gestures, facial expressions, and voice changes that are part of communicating humor.
Dave

You're alright Dave. :D I kinda figured you were kidding around but, not being a hunter, I wasn't sure. Joking over the internet can get rather interesting at times, can't it? I appreciate the apology, but there is no need. :)

Good luck....Bama. I haven't been elk hunting since I moved from North Idaho...sort of lost its mistique when my girl friend (at the time) woke me up one cold foggy morning with a rifle report...she watched the cows walk through what was left of the garden then dropped the bull as he was comming around the barn. All from the back porch in her flannel jammies and bunny slippers while making breakfast....think it was just light enough to be legal. Clean an elk, just what I wanted to do before coffee.
Enjoy your trip....Dave Mc

I'm back
No offense Mscamp. I'm was hunting in the Routt National Forest in Northwest Co. The weather was warm. Snow had fallen before we arrived and was still in the timber. By the second day it was clear from the open areas. The Elk were higher up than we had tags for. We were hunting at 9500 feet and found a few elk. They were deep in the timber and high. We managed only one elk out of the four of us. We had either sex tags, we saw several cows but were so far out that they would not be worth the effort to get out. I did see the nicest buck I have ever saw. Being from Al. It was hard not to pull the trigger even if I didn't have a tag. I took a few pics Ill link them later when I get a chance. I have been to this area numberous times so I don't take as many pictures now as I did when I first started going.I have been out there several time but I had a first on this trip. I was sitting on a rock and heard the weirdest noise coming from the black timber. It would cry and scream, squill, and all other kinds of weird noises. I had to check it out. It was two porcupines fighting. I had never heard them make those noises before. I didn't see the couger that stays in the area this year. I have saw them several times over the years. One guy did have a bear walk across the log he was sitting on one morning before dark. We had planned on hunting all day on the last day but a storm was coming in quick. The area we were hunting was in a whiteout so we pulled out a little early. I have been snowed in before. Its fine on the first of the hunt but this was the last day of our hunt and we had not even worn heavy coats, much less goosedown and snowshoes. I love the hunting but the biggest reason I hunt is to get away from the rat race here at home. As many of you know I stay busy most of the time. I enjoy doing that, I'm a workaholic. I wound'nt change it for the world. But I do enjoy my hunting trips. I go with a great group of guys that I have traveled all over the U.S. with. Just being out there is my pleasure. I enjoy seeing differant area's of the country. I like to go to a local diner and look for and old codger sitting in the corner. I'll buy him a cup of coffee and sit back and listen. I have had several years of formal schooling but my best education has came from listing to some old codger over coffee.

Bama, I'm glad you had a great time! I've been wanting to go elk hunting for years and have never had the chance to go. Dad has gone many years but usually the guys he goes with have an unsaid rule against women going - which really t's me off. But what can I do? Nothing, so I don't go. I think last time they went they got 2 elk out of 8 guys, not sure what part they went to though.

Hey Bama,

Hopefully this won't give away your spot too much, Bama, but how far were you from Craig, or Baggs Wyoming? We go out every other year during one of the rifle seasons and we hunt a private 10,000 acre ranch called Wilderness Ranch that borders Routt on the west side. We go up into Routt for some of the hunt, but we have a cabin on the Wilderness Ranch that we stay in. The cabin is at about 9000 ft.

El_Putzo":338ij8c9 said:
Hey Bama,

Hopefully this won't give away your spot too much, Bama, but how far were you from Craig, or Baggs Wyoming? We go out every other year during one of the rifle seasons and we hunt a private 10,000 acre ranch called Wilderness Ranch that borders Routt on the west side. We go up into Routt for some of the hunt, but we have a cabin on the Wilderness Ranch that we stay in. The cabin is at about 9000 ft.

This will only make sense to you.

After leaving the highway go to the last cabin on the right before coming to the tee in the road. Your place should be near here. Go through the aspen and turn right at that tee. Look to your left at that sandy mountain face. Continue untill you come to the Y, take the right fork and continue through the gate. After the gate and the shaded dangerous curve in the road turn right at the next road. Continue to the end of this road and your in camp. Ever heard of the meat hole, 3 poles, airplane crash? Small world ain't it. Chances are if you have hunted the area we have met at some point. If you ain't been out there in a couple of years you will be surprized to find you now have more neighbors. Several cabins have been built lately. If your going out this year I'll give you the location of a massive buck. BTW there are a lot more deer this year than in the past. On the drive in from the main road after the really sharpe curve that a lot of folks run off is a large field on the right. I counted 34 deer standing in it one evening.

Latest posts