Eating an old cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MO-Ruminants

Reaction score
Can anyone relate their experience in eating a fat cow? That 4 year old that comes in open but is butterball fat.

Particularly cuts of meat...steaks and roasts as opposed to grinding up for hamburger.

(not a lean cow, I have that experience)

4 years old shouldn't be bad, Keep the good cuts, tenderloins and good roasts, stew and burger the rest.. it will be tasty!

MO-Ruminants said:
Can anyone relate their experience in eating a fat cow? That 4 year old that comes in open but is butterball fat.

Particularly cuts of meat...steaks and roasts as opposed to grinding up for hamburger.

Been there...depends on how she was slaughtered i.e. ranch kill or was hauled to a facility, your expectations and cooking skills. Anything typically suited to braising and or a long simmer should be excellent. If you opt for some steaks and they fall short of mark you can tenderize the remaining ones.

MO-Ruminants said:

WE had a couple of Holstein cows processed that were probably closer to 3 than 4 years old and they were really good. They just never produced enough milk to keep in the dairy barn and never bred back, so pulled them out, dried them up and keep them on feed for about another 45 days.

MO-Ruminants said:

Pen her up and put her on grain for a couple of weeks and while she's still gaining, ship her off to the slaughterhouse. 4 year old will still taste really good.

I wish my constitution would let me eat more beef. I love a good steak, and I love hamburger, but consecutively causes me problems. IMO there is no roast ,like a pork roast. Put the pitchforks and lanterns away please, I'm scared.

Latest posts