Easy Keeping Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I know there is easy keepers within all breeds. But can it be said that as a whole certain breeds have a reputation as easy keepers?

Seems I see Red Angus, and Murray Grey using the easy keeping sales pitch a lot.

Do some breeds help to maximize grass feeding more than others?

With feed prices going through he roof we will need cattle that can turn a profit with grass, hay and water. What breeds give you the most advantage to do so?

I'm partial to longhorns - they're very easy keepers. I think it was Caustic that said the other day that they could eat barb wire and briars. Not quite true, but close. :D

Most of the british breeds were breed to to be easy keepers, alot has changed but I think theres some left in all those breeds, a few of the herds that come to mind are in kansas

ETF":t650fnft said:
I'm partial to longhorns - they're very easy keepers. I think it was Caustic that said the other day that they could eat barb wire and briars. Not quite true, but close. :D

I know in past there has been some longhorn bashing on the forum. So I do not want to go there. But hard to picture longhorns being the answer as meat producers. Still need to hang a good carcass and produce pounds.

Red Poll of course and I think you can see that by looking around where you live. :nod:

I am just getting started with the MG's for just that reason??? My 1/2 Murray Grey cross ( Red angus and Hereford Mommas) are extremely easy keepers!!!! :banana:
They can live off lakewater and scenery!

Well almost that is!

You have to rember longhorns feed the country after the civil war. They are what they are because of natural selection. surival of the fittest. Anyway i raise fullblood limis. Grass hay and Mineral.

Red Bull Breeder":39sw7c7n said:
You have to rember longhorns feed the country after the civil war. They are what they are because of natural selection. surival of the fittest. Anyway i raise fullblood limis. Grass hay and Mineral.

If it wasn't for the Texas Longhorn, all the East Coast Yankees would have had to survive on "fish & chips" after the Civil War.

The TL is an easy-keeper (as well as some other breeds). The TL has been said to require about 80% of what other breeds require in terms of hay/forage, etc. With proper genetic selection of sires/dams and proper management, the TL can have a full body style that will produce some very nice cuts of beef that is naturally low in backfat, cholesterol. Tenderness can also be there with proper management and genetic selection, as well as proper time to slaughter one for the freezer...we know, we've been eating LH beef since 2002 and won't go back (it is also cheaper to grow beef than go to supermarket).

Running Arrow Bill":2jevhqgg said:
Red Bull Breeder":2jevhqgg said:

If it wasn't for the Texas Longhorn, all the East Coast Yankees would have had to survive on "fish & chips" after the Civil War.

The TL is an easy-keeper (as well as some other breeds). The TL has been said to require about 80% of what other breeds require in terms of hay/forage, etc. With proper genetic selection of sires/dams and proper management, the TL can have a full body style that will produce some very nice cuts of beef that is naturally low in backfat, cholesterol. Tenderness can also be there with proper management and genetic selection, as well as proper time to slaughter one for the freezer...we know, we've been eating LH beef since 2002 and won't go back (it is also cheaper to grow beef than go to supermarket).

What would typical longhorn WW be? I'm not interested in the outliers, but rather the breed average. The Texas longhorn reminds me alot of our native ngunis, but the nguni's WW is too low to be considered a real commercial beef breed unless its used in a very extensive environment or as part of MIG.

The TL is an easy-keeper (as well as some other breeds). The TL has been said to require about 80% of what other breeds require in terms of hay/forage said:
I have nothing aginst longhorns, just thinking that they will bring 20% less or more at the sale barn. Maybe you have a special market? How do you market your longhorns?

Just remember nothing is free, super easy keeping cattle breeds generally underperform more moderate producers. Be careful of extreames in either direction, not much sense in saveing $50 in feed cost if your $75 dollars short on the end product.

I have always bred and raised Tuli on forage and minerals only, they are especially adapted to high temperature and parasite environments. F1 females especially to British breeds or Bos Indicus types in hot areas make an exelent easy keeping cow for terminal breeding.

I have considered a MG Bull or Hereford bull to replace my Simmental bull. We want to retain heifers. Are cows are already moderate and most are easy keepers. But I am afraid retained heifers from Simmental might go backwards not the way I want.

If I went Hereford then I could add some Red Angus Cows which is my long term goal of Red Angus x Hereford cross.

But you sure hear a lot of good on MG as far as grass only goes.

But I am afraid retained heifers from Simmental might go backwards not the way I want.

We run some Chars, some Herfs, some Brangus, among others (yes, including Angus).

If I had to look out over all those breeds and pick one that was easier keeping than the other, I could not do it.

My point is, that you could find some Sims that would be as easy keeping as any other breed.

You might not not want to look for a breed of animal. Just find the right ones...........

MikeC":1wdir6kl said:
But I am afraid retained heifers from Simmental might go backwards not the way I want.

We run some Chars, some Herfs, some Brangus, among others (yes, including Angus).

If I had to look out over all those breeds and pick one that was easier keeping than the other, I could not do it.

My point is, that you could find some Sims that would be as easy keeping as any other breed.

You might not not want to look for a breed of animal. Just find the right ones...........

You don't think that some breed charactaristics such as simmental being heavy milkers would play a part in food consumption?

I know there is heavy milkers within each breed but would a Simmental with low milk epd likely consume more feed than a Hereford with a moderate milk epd?

I know there is no exacts but seems there would be some base standards for each breed.

aplusmnt":2a620nkt said:
MikeC":2a620nkt said:

You don't think that some breed charactaristics such as simmental being heavy milkers would play a part in food consumption?

I know there is heavy milkers within each breed but would a Simmental with low milk epd likely consume more feed than a Hereford with a moderate milk epd?

I know there is no exacts but seems there would be some base standards for each breed.

Base standards? You can find two cows of the same breed that are as different as cows from the different breeds in their biological efficiencies.

Cut the breed crap. You can find good/bad in any breed. ;-)

I would have to agree with Mike C. And momma can't raise a calf withoutmilk. If i have a fat cow with a sorry calf, she is sale barn bound. Skinny cow with 600 LB calf at weaning that rebounds good when calf is weaned gets to stay.

It is interesting (and 'eye-opening'??) to continue to read these posts - on many and varied subjects, and realize that breeders are still persisting in touting 'their' particular BREED - in spite of what the subject matter is about! And that is understandable, BUT, let's not overlook the ongoing and continuing DOGMA that there are at least (4) FOUR (4) elements in livestock production which are essential for success - which are imperative with WHICHEVER breed - or crossbreed - we are discussing. They are Genotype, Phenotype, Functional Traits, and Environmental Influences. They all work together synergetically. We should not get 'caught up' in BREED arguments or differences at the expense of understanding reality and facts.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts