early calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
Hello all, We had a heifer have a calf last night. Everythis seems ok now but the calf is small. It a heifer calf and she was 2 weeks early. She was AI to bextor. Just wondering if there is anything I need to watch for with her be so early?

I'm having some early calves this year along with several others on this board. As long as she's gotten colostrum and nursing well she'll be fine. Probably a little smaller than the rest of em at weaning time but some creep feed might solve that. Congrats on your new baby calf

I have had alot of them over the years. I have had several at 8 months and three weeks. Seems like alot of heifers will be early. And most of them are not any smaller at first or at weaning.

I've got a heifer up that is due on the 10th. She looks like you need to follow her around with a basket.LOL. I've always thought it was pretty common for heifers to have them 10 days early?? B&G

I have a heifer that is 287 days today, and she was sexed having a heifer, which are usually early or at least on time! She looks like if she sneezes or coughs, the calf will fly out!

I've had a few early calves over the years, and they all did just as good as their herd-mates. The only trouble I've had with a early birth, is a couple times the cow/heifer didnt have good colostrum yet. So, I gave the calf a colostrum re-placer the first time. Interesting Fire sweep, I dont think I've had any go over that long. I would be curious if she has a bigger than normal calf?

The calf is doing great. She has a few other calves to play with now. We have about 20 more that were AI. They were then put in with a clean up bull. We know they are all pregnant just not if it was AI or cleanup. I hope we get a few more calves out of the AI. What have you all been seeing this year on percentage that took to AI?

Latest posts