due dates

Help Support CattleToday:

f4leggin

Reaction score
I had two calves born today, and was not expecting either one yet. One of the cows had been preg checked when I bought her, and the vet said she was 5 months along making her due in March, the other came from a group I bought and I was told March for the group (5 bred cows). I am new to catte, and am wondering if its normal for due dates to not be an exact science. I know these cows were pasture bred last summer. I come from the horse breeding world where we know due dates to the day (not to say they come then). A horse born one month early would be a huge problem, is it the same in cattle? Right now I feel like a complete rookie as I know nothing, and have 4 more that will calve maybe sooner than I thought. I had this grand plan to put up pens and pen the cows so that I could watch them - but for now, they are all out on 120 acres. Thx - Jill

Unfortunately, preg checking is not an exact science. They go by the size of the calf but unless they know the cow very well, the calf could be bigger or smaller and also each stage covers a 3 month period for instance 2nd stage could be months 4, 5, or 6.

We bought a cow on Nov. 21st preg checked in 3rd stage and she just calved today.

We bought 8 cows in 3rd period on Nov. 28th and so far only one has calved (on Dec.26).

I never count on due dates from palpation. They are breed or not, that's about it. But since you own them now you can record heat, and breeding dates. Always keep a pad with you when checking cattle. Record everything on each animal. At the end of every year review and determine weither they are a keeper or not.

novatech":3hp0iqso said:
I never count on due dates from palpation. They are breed or not, that's about it.

You are right on that! We got a new bred cow in early December, confirmed 5 months pregnant, so I was planning for a March/April baby. On January 29 this big boy (70#) arrived (two weeks old in photo):

BullCalf2-17-07d.jpg

f4leggin":31dp1u2p said:
I had two calves born today, and was not expecting either one yet. One of the cows had been preg checked when I bought her, and the vet said she was 5 months along making her due in March, the other came from a group I bought and I was told March for the group (5 bred cows). I am new to catte, and am wondering if its normal for due dates to not be an exact science. I know these cows were pasture bred last summer. I come from the horse breeding world where we know due dates to the day (not to say they come then). A horse born one month early would be a huge problem, is it the same in cattle? Right now I feel like a complete rookie as I know nothing, and have 4 more that will calve maybe sooner than I thought. I had this grand plan to put up pens and pen the cows so that I could watch them - but for now, they are all out on 120 acres. Thx - Jill

Nope, due dates are not a nexact science. Especially the vet's due dates. That is all on size, and even the moset experienced vets can be wrong. As for the group you bought that were bred for March, it all depends on when in march they are due for. If it was Mar 1 or near the beginning of March, it isn't unusual to have a few calves early like this. 2 weeks early or late is not unusual, and today is the 18th so it would only be 10 days early if the cow was bred for Mar 1. Good luck!!

we keep a pocket size day timer calendar in our truck and jot things down like when we put out hay and when the bull seems "interested" in one of the cows. If we see actual breeding, we note that as well. This has helped up tremendously.

It is difficult to determine exact due date by palpation alone.

However, if the animal was AI'd, and settled to AI then you can have a more specific due date. Also, if 'observed' breeding by the bull, and cow does not show signs of standing heat at the time of the next cycle, then you can have a more specific due date based on the date of observation of natural cover.

Katherine

Hi, I agree with the others;due dates are not an exact science unless you A.I> with no bull exposure ;even then it can be a week or so before or after the gestation tables says.Also what gestation table due you go by.Holsteins due date from breeding is to be 6 days earlier than Gelbvieh.If you are useing a bull the best detection is go out every day amongst your cattle and try to keep a record of all heats.That way when you do herd health you can give your Vet a last seen heat date.Even then they can be way off especially if it's twins or a small calf.

I get a real kick out of the heifers, some of them will swell up and bag up over a period of weeks others they swell bag and calve in one week, it blows my mind. The cows you get to know what';s going on by previous experience but heifers are always a real joy. I ought to be better at it by now, I guess not. :lol:

Latest posts