breeding dates

Help Support CattleToday:

buckshotbob

Reaction score
I watched a number of my heifers and cows get bred last year and I recorded the dates. The calculator is out of wack or something is in the air. Late heifers I get but old faithful is a week late and isn,t even looking ready yet. Anyone else noticing the dates are off or am I worrying too much. First calf out of a heifer was five day late and nothing since.

cliff

normal gestation is ten days before or after the due date. different breeds have different normal gestation lengths. same as other reply, maybe returned for a second round of romance three weeks later.

I had an angus cow that was AI'ed and never exposed to a bull until she calved. I thought we had missed her, but she was 18d past her "due date". Calf was crossbred and was a toad, but he was ai'ed and all is well. I'd bet you missed the secret getaway 3 weeks after you last seen the bull breed the cow. I once had a cow I never seen the bull breed, but always took within the first cycle with a bull. (didn't AI her) She was just a little shy and chose to play at night I guess.

buckshotbob said:
I watched a number of my heifers and cows get bred last year and I recorded the dates.
Late heifers I get but old faithful is a week late and isn,t even looking ready yet.
All good things come to an end and there always comes the day when everyone's
old faithful has her last calf. Otherwise there would be no need for replacement heifers.