Duct tape and all its uses on the ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Cassidy

Reaction score
I recently read a newsletter that talked about one beef producer who uses duct tape to prevent frozen ears on newborn calves. He simply tapes the ears back against their head and neck to try to save them from the cold. This got me thinking: What other genius ideas do people use duct tape for on the ranch? I mean, they do say duct tape fixes everything, right? I want to hear all your duct tape fixes.

I've been using it to keep ears from freezing for years. If a horse has this soles, or a sole injury, I'll make a pad out of duct tape, and put it over the shoe, rather than pull a shoe, and put a pad under it.

If splinting a calf's leg, I wrap it in gauze first then add the splint. Duct tape the entire assembly when finished. Usually 6 or so layers top to bottom.

I find it good when carrying lengths of steel on the back of the truck, they are as slippery as. A few wraps of duct tape holds them all together so you never get them scattered all over the road. Good to tape a red rag on the end if they hang out a bit.
Ken

backhoeboogie":iqzfcdmv said:
If splinting a calf's leg, I wrap it in gauze first then add the splint. Duct tape the entire assembly when finished. Usually 6 or so layers top to bottom.

On the ones that are walking on their ankles, I use freezer tape. It'll come undone in 3 or 4 days, which is usually adequate.

jedstivers":396zru59 said:
The quality of it is so bad now I won't even buy it any more.
Gorilla tape only for me now.
That gorilla tape is really something. Biggest problem is that you can hardly tear it like you could the old style stuff.

dun":3e3y493y said:
jedstivers":3e3y493y said:
That gorilla tape is really something. Biggest problem is that you can hardly tear it like you could the old style stuff.
You have to hold your palm against the whole piece to tear it. Take the other hand and hold the roll in it.

jedstivers":njw1dmgm said:
dun":njw1dmgm said:
jedstivers":njw1dmgm said:
You have to hold your palm against the whole piece to tear it. Take the other hand and hold the roll in it.
I've gotten to where I just cut it with a knife

One really unusual use for it I saw a video of

Fellow was trying to shoe a horse, and the horse was really fidgety, bordering on flighty... it was impossible to work on... He said he'd heard of this trick, and tried it... you put about a 6" piece of duct tape on their nose.. he put the strip lengthwise so the lower end of it was just above the horse's top lip.
The horse calmed down, and stood totally still

I wonder if it would work for cows when you're trying to milk them, or even just have them stand still to get a calf onto them.

Latest posts