Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
skyhightree1":33200ljj said:
lol either way it aint putting money in my pocket to cover the damage my wife has done while xmas shopping.

Okay Sky I get your point and I can agree to disagree.

Leaving Christ out of Christmas is downright offensive. Are you intending to be offensive? (you've done it in several posts now)

I guess I will buy my family more bullets for Christmas. I put queers right there with the deadbeats and thieves. Mr. Phil said what he had to. And we need to fight for our right of freedom of speech. Some people won't do or say anything for a dollar. Mr. Phil has enough money to fight this in court. Maybe someday the Duck Dynasty crew will own the A&E channel.

Highgrit I have been checking my 401K, IRA, and other equity funds. If any of the blended stocks have interest in A & E, they will get dropped. Want to make sure I am supporting the right things.

n August 2009, A&E Networks acquired Lifetime Entertainment Services. The new ownership ratio became Disney-ABC TV Group and Hearst both with 43% and NBCUniversal 16% with an agreement in place that allows NBCU to sell its share to Disney-ABC and Hearst over the next 15 years. In July 2012, NBCUniversal confirmed plans to sell its 15.8% stake in A+E Networks to Disney and Hearst, who will become 50-50 partners in the joint venture.

Source was Wiki

Always had the opinion that A&E was a loser network until DD came along.

I don't watch reality shows, in fact had never watched one for more than a couple of minutes until DD. I enjoy Duck Dynasty not because I think its real but because its funny.

I really think the big loser will be A&E not Phil Robertson.
It just proves once again, you have freedom of speech as long as you are a liberal.. They can say anything they want with absolutely no repercussions.

Islamic views on homosexuals are much harsher than Christian even though lots of them are. If Phil was preaching from the koran and stated his belief of them along with mentioning they should be stoned everything would have been fine. Only problem is Phil is a white Christian male.

this is group offended , that group is offended, when does it stop. I propose we banish all holidays, groups, etc. except one and we call it "get of your A$$ and go to work day/group" then maybe all of these people that have nothing better to do will be too tired to complain about being offended. Everyone has the right to believe or say whatever they want. if you don't agree ignore it.
if you want to effect A&E sponsors look no further call Wal-Mart and complain

online poll now going on msn 82% say it was wrong to let him go 16% says they were correct to let him go,

I have been researching atheism, and agnostics lately. It seems they are far more wide spread than I thought. Couple with that, people that claim to believe, but probably don't know what they are talking about, and we are getting in bad shape here in the USA.

Bigfoot":37g2rl4i said:
I have been researching atheism, and agnostics lately. It seems they are far more wide spread than I thought. Couple with that, people
that claim to believe, but probably don't know what they are talking about, and we are getting in bad shape here in the USA.

Be careful about categorizing other Christians by your standards of what a Christian is or should be. Rather, be thankful that they are on your side and rejoice in their support of your beliefs.

There are far too many of the others out there, for you to rail against!

skyhightree1":aujsd307 said:
My opinion is this...If you are working for a company you can't run around getting into potential conversations that may make your company look bad or be frowned upon. I mean thats common sense and reality. We all here are cattlemen and cattlewomen if you had farm hands going to town saying you abuse your cattle and sell sickly cattle etc. that could cause you grief and ruin your business/sales and anyone that says they will happily keep them aboard as a hand and keep paying them im sorry but you are a liar. It takes years to build clientel and a reputable reputation and can take one loud mouth 5 mins to put it at jeopardy.
Sky
You are equating slander to vocalizing Christian beliefs.

I get kinda tired of hearing the "freedom of speech" cry in public discourse. 1st Amendment protection does not, and never has applied to public discussions even on the national political level, much less on the internet.

"Freedom of speech" has been misunderstood and erroneously defined for about the last 75 years. The 1st Amendment is quite clear, and it is this amendment that guarantees freedom of speech and press, but read what it says--carefully: (annotations mine)

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

All that means, is that the Federal Govt via Congress (and state/local govt) CANNOT pass laws preventing anyone from speaking or writing their opinions.
It does NOT mean, and NEVER DID mean that the writers of our constitution thought there shouldn't be any repercussions for the things folks say or write. How strongly did they believe that there could/should be repercussions for words spoken or written? Quite strongly evidently. Aaron Burr ( US senator in 1791, Thomas Jefferson's vice president, a Revolutionary War officer) and Alexander Hamilton (NY delegate to constitutional convention, writer of the words "We the People" and signer of their document) got into a very heated and public (printed in the press) brawl just before and during the election of 1804 and the result--instead of claiming "Freedom of speech"---------- was a duel, in which Aaron Burr shot and killed Alexander Hamilton, and they were not the only framers of the constitution to believe that their words held no potential for redress re the 1st amendment, but only upon the field of honor.

A few more letters followed, in which the exchange escalated to Burr's demanding that Hamilton recant or deny any statement disparaging Burr's honor over the past 15 years, but Hamilton, having already been disgraced by the Maria Reynolds adultery scandal and ever mindful of his own reputation and honor, did not. According to Thomas Fleming, the apology Burr was asking for would have been immediately published. Hamilton's remaining power in the New York Federalist party would have been impaired.[29] Burr responded by challenging Hamilton to personal combat under the code duello, the formalized rules of dueling. Hamilton's eldest son, Philip, had died in a duel in 1801.

Now that's what I am talking about GB. I bet old Phil will win a duel with A&E if it comes to shotguns. It wouldn't take long to get this country back on the right track, if we could challenge liberals to a duel.

skyhightree1":djq0k2me said:
Everyone has that right to make that decision. Its like going into the military or law enforcement you know what you signed up for so he shouldn't be surprised as to what happened to him. If he wanted to preach his beliefs he should buy his own network like Opray Winfrey and say and do whatever he wants.
He was not preaching his beliefs on the show or even in the magazine. He was interviewed about his personal beliefs.
Good thing he is not of the Islam faith. Their scripture says to stone offenders. Wonder if that would have been acceptable, or is it just because he is a Christian?
A&E just lost a lot of money. Their other shows are about Hoarders with mental issues and intervention with drug addicts. Great line up.
Duck Dynasty will leave the network and make more money for those networks lined up to sign them.

I seems to me that from a contractual law standpoint, A&E may have created a bit of a sticky situation for themselves.

Yes, an employer has a right to terminate or suspend an employee for conduct or statements than can harm the company. (Freedom of speech is not an applicable argument here). However, the company also bears the burden of proving harm or the potential for harm. In this case, they signed and renewed contracts with Robertson and his family with the full knowledge of their bible based beliefs, which are, apparently, an integral part of the show. What he said was that he could not personally understand homosexual behavior. He also stated a fact, i.e. paraphrased a quote from the bible. What he said was not derogatory, defamatory, incendiary, prejudicial, or otherwise negative or hurtful. He simply stated a personal belief that is perfectly in keeping with his well known public persona. The network had a kneejerk reaction to the statement because they and some others may find it offensive because they see it as an unacceptable belief. The problem though, is that it could very easily be argued that it is precisely Robertson's public persona and therefore his beliefs, that have made the show so popular and made a boatload of money for the network, thus making the argument of harm hard to substantiate.

Sky, I'm afraid your comparisons to libel or slander are way off base. I understand that you wanted to make an analogy for conduct or statements that would be a viable basis for termination/suspension. I fully support that an employer retain the right to hire/fire people they don't like. But in this case, it's not like he said anything that surprised anyone. His views and beliefs are already very public knowledge. I've never seen the show and know next to nothing about them, but I found his statements to be completely in keeping with his public persona. So A&E loses their credibility in trying to be surprised and shocked by his statement.

CottageFarm":21h3wvil said:
So A&E loses their credibility in trying to be surprised and shocked by his statement.
You can;t lose what you don;t have!

I have thought about this for a while and usually remain silent, but something happened the other day that really got me thinking about a lot of stuff. My 3 year old son and I were walking up to tractor supply, and Wally World is right next door. Well going through the parking lot we see two men holding hands and hugged up to one another. My 3 year old looks up at me and says daddy, why are there 2 men touching each other like you and mommy? Wow! Talk about a smack to the face!! How do you answer the innocent mind of of a 3 year old about two grown men showing affection in public? It really hit me then how our morals have gone down the drain in this country! If two men or women want to be that way, please do not flaunt it in public. What you do in private is your thing, but my gosh, when I have to explain to my three year old what they are doing, man it makes you do a lot of thinking on todays condition of morality in the US. I am not homophobic. My wife and I have acquaintances that are homosexual, but in public you would think they are just best friends. I respect them for that. My wife and I remember that Jesus would have been friends with them, he wouldn't have condoned their behavior, but he would still love the person.
I applaud Phil, and yes Sky and Aaron I see your point too, but A&E does not own Phil Robertson, just as my employer does not own me 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. If they did, they would owe me a he77 of a lot more money. Phil only quoted the Bible! Right there in black and white! I only wish, after having to answer my 3 year olds question, that I had a platform to voice my opinions on the morality of this country and what is wrong with it. What next, will we not even shudder when Mr. Smith brings is new nanny goat to the movies with him for date night, or when old Suzy crazy eyes tries to marry her lover of 2 years who stands 14 hands tall and is known as Wilbur. Where does it all end? That is all.

ifarm26":1nypxzj2 said:
I have thought about this for a while and usually remain silent, but something happened the other day that really got me thinking about a lot of stuff. My 3 year old son and I were walking up to tractor supply, and Wally World is right next door. Well going through the parking lot we see two men holding hands and hugged up to one another. My 3 year old looks up at me and says daddy, why are there 2 men touching each other like you and mommy? Wow! Talk about a smack to the face!! How do you answer the innocent mind of of a 3 year old about two grown men showing affection in public? It really hit me then how our morals have gone down the drain in this country! If two men or women want to be that way, please do not flaunt it in public. What you do in private is your thing, but my gosh, when I have to explain to my three year old what they are doing, man it makes you do a lot of thinking on todays condition of morality in the US. I am not homophobic. My wife and I have acquaintances that are homosexual, but in public you would think they are just best friends. I respect them for that. My wife and I remember that Jesus would have been friends with them, he wouldn't have condoned their behavior, but he would still love the person.
I applaud Phil, and yes Sky and Aaron I see your point too, but A&E does not own Phil Robertson, just as my employer does not own me 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. If they did, they would owe me a he77 of a lot more money. Phil only quoted the Bible! Right there in black and white! I only wish, after having to answer my 3 year olds question, that I had a platform to voice my opinions on the morality of this country and what is wrong with it. What next, will we not even shudder when Mr. Smith brings is new nanny goat to the movies with him for date night, or when old Suzy crazy eyes tries to marry her lover of 2 years who stands 14 hands tall and is known as Wilbur. Where does it all end? That is all.

I'm embedding your post within mine in the event yours is deleted shortly. Heck, they might zap us both, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts