Don't dismiss those Pour On Parasiticides

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought Wormer this morning , I have been working toward only worming cows that I feel need it . I worm my calves when vaccinated and weaned . I like drench for the effectiveness but injection is by far the easiest to know the dosage. I used pellets last year when some started looking rough and they had already been worked a few months prior . To pour a product requires them being put in a chute or lane so you might as well inject or drench.

The cost savings on injectable should make this thread moot.

kenny thomas":25z7xo26 said:
So were still not sure about the pour on vs the injectable?

I'm 100% sure that injectable is better and gives you more bang for your buck. When it rains or the cows go for a swim the injectable is still effective.

TexasBred":xm8vaov1 said:
Ebenezer":xm8vaov1 said:
The problem using 'something cheap' (generic parasiticides) is a function of RESISTANCE not economics. The generic pour ons while they may control parasites with several applications, the parasites that survive evolve a resistance.
Same problem for any and every worming product: future resistance. Just a matter of what % survives each application. The only real long term cure for parasites is increased animal resistance if that is possible. I do not see that happening with flukes but normal stomach worms is doable now in some breeds and species.
Pure speculation.
Surely, you jest. Ever read magazines or do any study on research articles?

NonTypicalCPA":2w3w7cf0 said:
What are you looking for in an animal when judging whether or not they have a worm issue? Weight? Hair?

Visual is about as reliable as looking at hay and guessing the protein level. Fecal egg count is the standard most vets subscribe to.

I have been hammering parasites hard in my management scheme for many years. My primary concern at the current stage is keeping my sale bulls and heifers developing. I halter train them all. So for me, I hit them about once every six weeks with one of the paste oral wormers like Safe Guard.

PS: fecal testing for worm eggs is simple. You sample fecal material by collecting a small amount from several bowel movements. Put it in a zip lock bag. Take it to the vet and they can look at it under a microscope. Very cheap.

Bright Raven":3msi30f6 said:
kenny thomas":3msi30f6 said:
So were still not sure about the pour on vs the injectable?

They both have merit. If properly administered, pour ons can achieve satisfactory levels of the active ingredient in the plasma. The concern with pour on is that producers don't apply them according to instructions.

Injectable has the advantage of reducing the mistakes of administration but even with injectables, underestimating body weight will result in poor worm kill.
Many of us forget also that they are designed to give 28-30 days effective coverage.

Bright Raven":3qhvo06i said:
NonTypicalCPA":3qhvo06i said:
What are you looking for in an animal when judging whether or not they have a worm issue? Weight? Hair?

Visual is about as reliable as looking at hay and guessing the protein level. Fecal egg count is the standard most vets subscribe to.

I have been hammering parasites hard in my management scheme for many years. My primary concern at the current stage is keeping my sale bulls and heifers developing. I halter train them all. So for me, I hit them about once every six weeks with one of the paste oral wormers like Safe Guard.

PS: fecal testing for worm eggs is simple. You sample fecal material by collecting a small amount from several bowel movements. Put it in a zip lock bag. Take it to the vet and they can look at it under a microscope. Very cheap.

Your retired , everything is simple.

Its not very hard for a person with common sense to see a problem and knowing the animal will eliminate some causes. Rough coat , Dull , hard doing , Because I don't worm everything every time the moon phase changes you can worm one and either she improves or she don't . It only gets complicated when people overthink it.

Ebenezer":u3cl1e8d said:
TexasBred":u3cl1e8d said:
Ebenezer":u3cl1e8d said:
Same problem for any and every worming product: future resistance. Just a matter of what % survives each application. The only real long term cure for parasites is increased animal resistance if that is possible. I do not see that happening with flukes but normal stomach worms is doable now in some breeds and species.
Pure speculation.
Surely, you jest. Ever read magazines or do any study on research articles?
Well let me know which breed they declare "completely parasite resistant" and I'll switch to that breed.

M-5":1a2flpax said:
Bright Raven":1a2flpax said:
NonTypicalCPA":1a2flpax said:

Its not very hard for a person with common sense to see a problem and knowing the animal will eliminate some causes. Rough coat , Dull , hard doing , Because I don't worm everything every time the moon phase changes you can worm one and either she improves or she don't . It only gets complicated when people overthink it.
The infected ones you miss continue to contaminate the pasture and ensure that you always have cattle to worm in the future. ;-)

TexasBred":19op9b16 said:
M-5":19op9b16 said:
Bright Raven":19op9b16 said:

The infected ones you miss continue to contaminate the pasture and ensure that you always have cattle to worm in the future. ;-)

There are few organisms as prolific as the helminths. It just takes one small group of deer crossing your farm to leave enough eggs behind to keep the cycle going.

TexasBred":2ae41cvi said:
Well let me know which breed they declare "completely parasite resistant" and I'll switch to that breed.

I am with you on the issue of 'natural parasite resistance'. I don't care what study Ebernezer produces. The parasite/host battle has been going on for 450 million years. Neither parasite or host has been declared the winner. For every move one makes, the other makes a counter move.

Bright Raven":35ew5cfi said:
TexasBred":35ew5cfi said:
M-5":35ew5cfi said:

There are few organisms as prolific as the helminths. It just takes one small group of deer crossing your farm to leave enough eggs behind to keep the cycle going.

Cows can handle a worm load and be productive. I'm not cold turkey but part of the reason people don't get good control is they have made the cattle so suseptable to least little thing.

TexasBred":1yivtpr5 said:
Won't ever happen. It sill be portions of each breed which exhibits parasite resistance. NSIP already has EBVs for FEC so that resistance can be a selection option. We do not worm our sheep.

kenny thomas":2gk4vibe said:
Am I reading the label correctly, that it costs about $1 per calf extra for the pour on?

Eprinex Pour On is $291.45 for 5000 mL. It treats at the rate of 1 mL per 22 lbs.

That is 110,000 lbs of live weight treated for $291.45

Ivomec Ivermectin injectable is $286.95 for 1000 mL. It treats at the rate of 1mL per 110 lbs.

That is 110,000 lbs of live weight treated for $286.95

Basically, the cost is the same. Granted those are not generics.

kenny thomas":39n1gj2a said:
Ok, now compare the good stuff, Cydectin

Cydectin Pour On is $304.99 for 5000 mL. It treats at the rate of 1 mL per 22 lbs.

That is 110,000 lbs of live weight treated for $304.99.

Not much difference but the most expensive.

There is no difference between cost whether you pour or inject.

kenny thomas":rdsch1c4 said:
Ok, I was comparing the 500ml injectable to the 2.5 liter pour on. Big price difference there. The 5liter is lots cheaper compared.

Yes. I compared on the large quantities.

Latest posts