Don't dismiss those Pour On Parasiticides

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":f86080mr said:
M-5":f86080mr said:
Bright Raven":f86080mr said:
Is that a yeah you have done reasearch or a yeah you don't believe good soil health has anything to do with it and a strategic balance between herd health and pasture health is needed to optimize potential on both fronts.

I guess a guy selling wormer would give a crap about killing beetles.

It is yeah, as in I read your post.

SO , Whats the verdict ?? Do I need to look up studies that show the same drugs you are using to kill parasites kill the beetles that kill the parasite you are trying to kill ??

Ive never said don't use wormer . I use it some but I try and find a balance and practice rotation that helps my operation and a healthy ecosystem is far more beneficial.

Dogs and Cows":2u6filzx said:
M-5":2u6filzx said:
Bright Raven":2u6filzx said:
Darryl,

It has nothing that I can think of to do with the soil. I am only guessing you mean soil nematodes. They are unrelated to parasitic bovine helminths that live off the cows system. Most in the GI tract. Killing the intestinal nematodes has no effect on or loss of benefit to the soil.

If you mean something else, I am anxious to learn.

Surely you've done your reasearch on benefits of a healthy dung beetle population and how thier larve feed on the parasites you are killing.

I will say this M5...you are spot on with the dung beetles...I have not given any wormer since I moved 2 years ago to this new farm. The first year there were no signs of beetle activity...this past year there were signs and I am already seeing them this spring. It sure is a fine line between cattle and pasture LOL! I do believe there are wormers (maybe safe-guard) that don't hurt the beetles, if I remember correctly.

Tim

correct, mectin base are the ones that kill the beetles. How in the HeII did cattle survive before these scientist decided that nature could not handle things on its own. Im all for new and improved ways but to bite hook line and sinker that this is the only way gets you caught with your pants down,.

M-5":fkaafbgz said:
Bright Raven":fkaafbgz said:
M-5":fkaafbgz said:
Is that a yeah you have done reasearch or a yeah you don't believe good soil health has anything to do with it and a strategic balance between herd health and pasture health is needed to optimize potential on both fronts.

I guess a guy selling wormer would give a crap about killing beetles.

SO , Whats the verdict ?? Do I need to look up studies that show the same drugs you are using to kill parasites kill the beetles that kill the parasite you are trying to kill ??

Ive never said don't use wormer . I use it some but I try and find a balance and practice rotation that helps my operation and a healthy ecosystem is far more beneficial.

I have a healthy skepticism of the dung beetle/bovine parasiticide relationship. Anthelminthics like Ivermectin can act on the metabolism of all invertebrates, not just helminths. Dung beetle larvae feed on manure. There is virtually no parasiticide in the manure. There are several other issues that don't suggest a connection on the dung beetle/bovine parasiticide relationship.

I think you have been drinking some of that 'tree hugger' cool aid.

Bright Raven":20esq9xc said:
M-5":20esq9xc said:
Bright Raven":20esq9xc said:

I have a healthy skepticism of the dung beetle/bovine parasiticide relationship. Anthelminthics like Ivermectin can act on the metabolism of all invertebrates, not just helminths. Dung beetle larvae feed on manure. There is virtually no parasiticide in the manure. There are several other issues that don't suggest a connection on the dung beetle/bovine parasiticide relationship.

There are plenty of publications on it but the reason people are skeptical is because there is no money in it like there is in the wormer business. I guess I will try and get a number for you too some Phd that has done research on it so you can pester him like you have this poor pouron salesman which led to you making a thread to help him sell more product.

Bright Raven":187cleqc said:
Dempster":187cleqc said:
There are huge numbers of cattle dewormed every year in situations that do not require consideration of possible resistance. I think in those cases, it doesnt matter what negative effects have been seen otherwise from using generic products. Additionally, I must admit, I have never considered the susceptibility profile of canine helminths when selecting a deworming protocol for my cow herd.

The point on canine helminth resistance is an extraneous comment. Just a data point that Ivermectin resistance is building.

Curious as to what situations do not require consideration of resistance. Organisms at the lower levels of the animal kingdom evolve faster as the generation cycles are shorter. As long as producers continue to expose helminths to levels of treatment that do not achieve a good kill, more helminth species are going to evolve resistance. When would you not consider resistance?

So the major place resistance is not an issue is dry lots. Obviously most beef calves in the US end up in a feed lot eventually and once they are there, whatever parasites are inside of them have hit a dead end. You can treat those calves with everything and create super parasites, but the parasites will never have a chance to reproduce so the risk of breeding resistant parasites isn't there. If I was finishing calves or fattening cull cows, I would certainly at least consider using a generic ivermectin, especially at lower beef prices.

Avermectins are excreted in the manure and can affect dung beetle performance.

M-5":3kwoo72d said:
Bright Raven":3kwoo72d said:
M-5":3kwoo72d said:

There are plenty of publications on it but the reason people are skeptical is because there is no money in it like there is in the wormer business. I guess I will try and get a number for you too some Phd that has done research on it so you can pester him like you have this poor pouron salesman which led to you making a thread to help him sell more product.

There are publications that also show better weight gains particularly on feeders that are on a regular parasiticide protocol.

Dempster":8pxgvjjz said:
Bright Raven":8pxgvjjz said:
Dempster":8pxgvjjz said:
There are huge numbers of cattle dewormed every year in situations that do not require consideration of possible resistance. I think in those cases, it doesnt matter what negative effects have been seen otherwise from using generic products. Additionally, I must admit, I have never considered the susceptibility profile of canine helminths when selecting a deworming protocol for my cow herd.

The point on canine helminth resistance is an extraneous comment. Just a data point that Ivermectin resistance is building.

Curious as to what situations do not require consideration of resistance. Organisms at the lower levels of the animal kingdom evolve faster as the generation cycles are shorter. As long as producers continue to expose helminths to levels of treatment that do not achieve a good kill, more helminth species are going to evolve resistance. When would you not consider resistance?

So the major place resistance is not an issue is dry lots. Obviously most beef calves in the US end up in a feed lot eventually and once they are there, whatever parasites are inside of them have hit a dead end. You can treat those calves with everything and create super parasites, but the parasites will never have a chance to reproduce so the risk of breeding resistant parasites isn't there. If I was finishing calves or fattening cull cows, I would certainly at least consider using a generic ivermectin, especially at lower beef prices.

Thank you. That is a good point. In those circumstances using the generic makes good sense.

Dempster":2wjiaupg said:
Avermectins are excreted in the manure and can affect dung beetle performance.

Most organic compounds are processed in the liver and excreted in the urine. Have you found any convincing research that you believe supports a significant adverse effect on dung beetle viability?

Bright Raven":2huwtql4 said:
M-5":2huwtql4 said:
Bright Raven":2huwtql4 said:

There are publications that also show better weight gains particularly on feeders that are on a regular parasiticide protocol.

Im not disputing that. I've stated I worm calves They don't have the resistance cows do. What a feed lot does after they get my calves doesn't matter to and certain drenchs don't effect the Beetles. And there are publications on that too but they are not done by Wormer Salesman .

M-5":34a2j78t said:
Bright Raven":34a2j78t said:
M-5":34a2j78t said:

Im not disputing that. I've stated I worm calves They don't have the resistance cows do. What a feed lot does after they get my calves doesn't matter to and certain drenchs don't effect the Beetles. And there are publications on that too but they are not done by Wormer Salesman .

Darryl,

This may be hard for you to understand. I say that because you are a black/white type person. You seem to take everything as right or wrong. Imagine if you can, that some people have the capacity to absorb information and not judge it as right or wrong. They use it like you use a tool. You are a very crafty fellow. Very practical. But not everyone engages in a discussion to come out a Winner/loser. I enjoy these discussions.

You came on this thread from the very beginning with a chip on your shoulder. Looks like it is still there my very fine friend.

Bright Raven":35uyj4ic said:
M-5":35uyj4ic said:
Bright Raven":35uyj4ic said:

Darryl,

This may be hard for you to understand. I say that because you are a black/white type person. You seem to take everything as right or wrong. Imagine if you can, that some people have the capacity to absorb information and not judge it as right or wrong. They use it like you use a tool. You are a very crafty fellow. Very practical. But not everyone engages in a discussion to come out a Winner/loser. I enjoy these discussions.

You came on this thread from the very beginning with a chip on your shoulder. Looks like it is still there my very fine friend.

Your right Ron, I'm not educated enough to be in this conversation. Next time put a disclaimer in the thread title you only want Yes men and People with Phd or MD in their name to respond.

M-5":2b42egxt said:
Bright Raven":2b42egxt said:
M-5":2b42egxt said:

Darryl,

Your right Ron, I'm not educated enough to be in this conversation. Next time put a disclaimer in the thread title you only want Yes men and People with Phd or MD in their name to respond.

Not what I meant and you know it. You got something stuck in your craw! All you need to do is spit it out.

Bright Raven":1lznchtb said:
M-5":1lznchtb said:
Bright Raven":1lznchtb said:

As I was sitting in tax lady's office this afternoon finding out what I owe. I was wondering exactly how long range wormer works if there is no residual in manure. Could you ask one of those high priced PhD folks you have on speed dial how it's possible. Perhaps it's divine intervention.

M-5":2fob15mu said:
Bright Raven":2fob15mu said:
M-5":2fob15mu said:

As I was sitting in tax lady's office this afternoon finding out what I owe. I was wondering exactly how long range wormer works if there is no residual in manure. Could you ask one of those high priced PhD folks you have on speed dial how it's possible. Perhaps it's divine intervention.

Well, Devine intervention don't work where I live.

Yes, be glad to. BTW: according to Brent, Long Range is the only injectable preparation produced for Eprinomectin. Eprinomectin went off patent in January. So expect a bunch of generic pour ons but don't expect any injectables. Brent said that the carrier for an Eprinomectin injectable that they developed in long range is not likely to be duplicated any time soon.

Bright Raven":1y7eu9t9 said:
M-5":1y7eu9t9 said:
Bright Raven":1y7eu9t9 said:

Yes, be glad to. BTW: according to Brent, Long Range is the only injectable preparation produced for Eprinomectin. Eprinomectin went off patent in January. So expect a bunch of generic pour ons but don't expect any injectables. Brent said that the carrier for an Eprinomectin injectable that they developed in long range is not likely to be duplicated any time soon.
That still doesn't answer the residual issue in manure seems likely that if these wormers work to reduce fly population that hatch in manure they would have adverse effects on the beetles that also use the manure. And since nature's defense mechanism is stopped it requires more wormer to keep cows healthy therefore increasing the need for more diverse products that the parasites are not resistant too which leads to more profit for the pharmacutical companies and less profit for farmers. Also I would like to know the transfer rate of pour ons when cattle lick and it enters the digestive tract and when laying down does the fresh pour on get transferred to to grass they are laying in .

M-5":xmu6w7f1 said:
Bright Raven":xmu6w7f1 said:
M-5":xmu6w7f1 said:

That still doesn't answer the residual issue in manure seems likely that if these wormers work to reduce fly population that hatch in manure they would have adverse effects on the beetles that also use the manure. And since nature's defense mechanism is stopped it requires more wormer to keep cows healthy therefore increasing the need for more diverse products that the parasites are not resistant too which leads to more profit for the pharmacutical companies and less profit for farmers. Also I would like to know the transfer rate of pour ons when cattle lick and it enters the digestive tract and when laying down does the fresh pour on get transferred to to grass they are laying in .

Personally, I am skeptical of the amount of say Ivermectin that is excreted in feces. It's an interesting topic. I will call Dr. Falk if you are sincere. If you are only being sarcastic, then save me the effort, please.

Latest posts