Don't dismiss those Pour On Parasiticides

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":2vkgo80q said:
kenny thomas":2vkgo80q said:
Bigfoot":2vkgo80q said:
The Murray State Diagnostic lab.
Yes, I remember now. I would like to hear him discuss it.

Lucky does not recommend the generic wormers.
If i remember correctly he doesn't recommend pour on at all. But especially the generic

I am sure no expert but would love to know the full true story here. Even if I used pour on it would probably be Cydectin. We have no liver flukes here.

kenny thomas":m1v67y78 said:
I am sure no expert but would love to know the full true story here. Even if I used pour on it would probably be Cydectin. We have no liver flukes here.

I think these guys with Merial convinced me that pour on works.

Ivomec injectable in the spring and safe guard cubes or Ivomec pour on in the fall alternating years. Injection first week of spring,fall worming Labor Day weekend.

TexasBred":fl2j4cmt said:
Bright Raven":fl2j4cmt said:
Bigfoot":fl2j4cmt said:
I had actually dismissed pour ons. I'll have to give them a second chance.

Troy. Brent is a bright guy. A western Kentucky graduate. The pour on debate has often been played out here. I hope Lucky has some input.
Texas A&M has done some research on this as well with the same results. Pour on is just as effective. Timing of application seems to be very serious concern brought out in their research.

TB I heard the A&M injectable test was flawed..... The syringes didn't come with instructions.. :hat:

I'll post this for those that want to eliminate 99.4% of the worms and parasites in their cattle. Worm all your cattle using a white paste drench, and Cydectin injectable, use both at the recommended dose, at the same time. After the first complete herd worming only do the cows that look like they need to be wormed and all the calves. Calves are the most important to get properly wormed. Studies have shown a 35 to 50 pounds of added gain in calves at weaning that were wormed using this method.
This is the proper way to worm cattle as of 3 weeks ago according to UGA.

So lets assume you use an avermectin(cydectin) and a white wormer together on your calf crop and any cows that need it year after year. What does UGA say to do when your parasites concurrently develop resistance to the two main classes of de-wormers?

Perhaps we should be happy with the 92% kill rate we get with a single product and then still have something to rotate to down the road when we become concerned about a resistance issue. Even if you sacrifice a pound or two of beef, you are saving the cost of your safeguard and the hassle of drenching everything.

Bright Raven":2bivt8ye said:
Seriously, I can walk through my herd and put pour on onto every cow. They are so familiar with me, the only time I put them in the chute is for AI, injectables, restraining the head, etc. I do all pour ons in the pasture. I use a big plastic syringe for UltraBoss and I will use the backpack with the application gun they give you with the Ivomec Eprinex.
How do you know how heavy they are for the correct dose? You haven't mentioned weighing.

95% of working facilities do not have scales. It wouldn't matter if you ran them through the chute or not.

You guys are scary. How do you know how heavy your cattle are? How can you possibly know that you're giving an effective dose if you just guess their weights? Same for antibiotics. No wonder the parasites and bacteria are getting the upper hand.

Disclaimer: that's my off-the-cuff response to that answer. I hope most are more careful!

Putangitangi":38j4zolo said:
Bright Raven":38j4zolo said:
Seriously, I can walk through my herd and put pour on onto every cow. They are so familiar with me, the only time I put them in the chute is for AI, injectables, restraining the head, etc. I do all pour ons in the pasture. I use a big plastic syringe for UltraBoss and I will use the backpack with the application gun they give you with the Ivomec Eprinex.
How do you know how heavy they are for the correct dose? You haven't mentioned weighing.

Thank you for raising that issue. Dr. Steve Falk said one of the problems with BOTH pour ons and injectable is UNDER DOSING!!!. This is the reason many vets have concerns about resistance. I will restate: under dosing is an issue with both pour ons and injectable.

He said the smart way to treat if you do not have a scale is to increase the dose by 20%. There is no risk of harm using a 20 % overdose. In fact, you could double the dose and do no harm.

The other issue is proper administration. He said he has witnessed some very sloppy procedures in which more of the pour on was on the ground than on the cow. Make sure the person administering the pour on is reliable.

Dempster":1lpn4vma said:
So lets assume you use an avermectin(cydectin) and a white wormer together on your calf crop and any cows that need it year after year. What does UGA say to do when your parasites concurrently develop resistance to the two main classes of de-wormers?

Perhaps we should be happy with the 92% kill rate we get with a single product and then still have something to rotate to down the road when we become concerned about a resistance issue. Even if you sacrifice a pound or two of beef, you are saving the cost of your safeguard and the hassle of drenching everything.

92% is good but you can do better so why not? And 92% is achievable using only a white paste drench, I might add. Most folks are to lazy or don't have the facilities to drench worm. I'm sure glad M5 put me onto the white wormer. And I always give everything a little extra which helps to prevent resistance.
Under dosing and using a generic pour on wormer is a major reason we're in this mess now. The bad news is the pharmaceutical companies are not working on any types of new wormer for the cattle industry.

Two wormers at a time speed resistance to the products. It does not matter if you kill 92% or 98%, the 8% and the 2% will become super worms and then what? Give them all a chew of tobacco?

Ebenezer":3viyw8wh said:
Two wormers at a time speed resistance to the products. It does not matter if you kill 92% or 98%, the 8% and the 2% will become super worms and then what? Give them all a chew of tobacco?

Every winter, dad would put tobacco leaves and chunks of coal in our draft horse's feed box. He said it was for worms!

Bright Raven":1j2gkt2j said:
Ebenezer":1j2gkt2j said:

Every winter, dad would put tobacco leaves and chunks of coal in our draft horse's feed box. He said it was for worms!

It was turpinetine here.

Bright Raven":xhimpu8e said:
Ebenezer":xhimpu8e said:

coal was for sulfur.

Latest posts