Don’t tell people what you know, KEEP THEM POOR!

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
jehosofat said:
Tell us about your pro football career after you got done teaching Top Gun fighter school.

After you tell us all about what you have done. I just said I've been around some interesting situations, you are the one that seems to have a problem with that. Why?

I have a hunch that there are some VERY interesting folks on here, some well off, some not so much, but very interesting nevertheless. Some post, some just sit back and observe.

I guarantee you there are people on here that have far more interesting stories than mine. Stories we can all learn from. We just have to get it out of them.

Apparently he's gotta fast boat. A one percenter he says.

callmefence said:
************* said:
jehosofat said:
Tell us about your pro football career after you got done teaching Top Gun fighter school.

After you tell us all about what you have done. I just said I've been around some interesting situations, you are the one that seems to have a problem with that. Why?

I have a hunch that there are some VERY interesting folks on here, some well off, some not so much, but very interesting nevertheless. Some post, some just sit back and observe.

I guarantee you there are people on here that have far more interesting stories than mine. Stories we can all learn from. We just have to get it out of them.

3 time World Champion, 2 time runner up. 15 High Points championships, forgot how many race wins. But I don't feel the need to get on here and tell everyone else that owns a boat what a piece of sheit theirs is.

jehosofat said:
callmefence said:
************* said:

3 time World Champion, 2 time runner up. 15 High Points championships, forgot how many race wins. But I don't feel the need to get on here and tell everyone else that owns a boat what a piece of sheit theirs is.

Pardon me.
I don't think I implied that. Why you always so touchy??

Love to see the boat though. I used to be into boats. Then I got smarter..lol

callmefence said:
I think I'll start a earth moving bidness with a short handled shovel and a wheelbarrow
Two things for sure Fence.
1) Your income will be almost entirely profit.
2) You will never need sleeping pills
:lol2:

************* said:
ALACOWMAN said:
One things for sure,If I had been in Business over fifty years.. I wouldn't be on here telling folks,""with different views"" what I'm going too do.. I'd just do it..its not like they just woke up in the business..

I actually tell you all very little about what we have going on out here.
And Don't go thinking we don't appreciate it either.. :cboy:

ALACOWMAN said:
************* said:
ALACOWMAN said:
One things for sure,If I had been in Business over fifty years.. I wouldn't be on here telling folks,""with different views"" what I'm going too do.. I'd just do it..its not like they just woke up in the business..

I actually tell you all very little about what we have going on out here.
And Don't go thinking we don't appreciate it either.. :cboy:

:lol: :lol:

callmefence said:
************* said:
jehosofat said:

No boat either :(

If I were in the one percent, my farm would have woven wire fence on every part of it with nice black planks nailed to it, I would have a huge equipment building and new barns with employees everywhere......BUT that's not the case at Branded.

As Robert Kiyosaki said, if you are born poor, you will probably remain poor. My great grandmother was not barefoot and destitute, but she was not rolling in dough either when running Branded, and she RAN IT FOR SURE. She did, however, do one thing important, she read books, lots of them, which I now own. Books were her escape to a broader horizon after her day of hard physical labor. She absolutely knew the importance of learning, even though she was never formally educated. There were never any trust funds in my family, never was a large portfolio of rental properties handed down to me, nor did I get a large stipend each month to play businessman. Never happened here folks. Get over that impression if you are inclined to think that of Branded.

Back to the subject of vulgar wealth. If I were the 1% I might not go to the trouble of fixing up our farm, instead I would probably just move to Montana and buy a 40 thousand acre ranch, and be with the rest of the 1%. I would love to have a ranch with an airstrip that could handle large body private jets. Oh to dream such a dream.

Dave said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
Just think how good that R series Deere will look pulling that new green baler. Branded you need 3 of them, no need in having to hook and unhook.

I knew a dairy farmer who said a successful farmer had a tractor for every implement. And he had that many. He went broke 5-6 years ago.

I know what you're saying here, and in one way I agree, in another I don't... I think it's important to have the right tractor for the job.. Don't overwork a small tractor with a big job, and don't put 1000's of hours of light duty stuff on an expensive tractor.. I've got lots of tractors, they each have their jobs they're good at, My Massey 255 wasn't a pretty tractor when I bought it, but I could tell it was a very sound unit and ran beautifully, Paid under $4K USD with 3600 hrs.. Put a coat of quality paint on it, reseal a couple things and I have a tractor I can use for 10-20 years (I put ~100hrs a year on it) and at any point sell it for a profit.

Secondly, I hate debt, but for the right stuff it's a necessary evil.. Financing everything you own is a danger in my eyes, Need to finance something for the short term, ONE piece of haying equipment, a bunch of cows to use up some feed, etc I can see it.. Financing a full fleet of new equipment that depreciates faster than your payments.. no thanks

jehosofat said:
callmefence said:

Impressive! Don't be humble, OWN WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! Toot that horn, cause nobody else will do it for you.

If you drive boats better than anyone else does, then by God you are the best. End of conversation.

Our pres says his properties are by far the best in the world, the very best, does he ever back down and say, "well, they are ok, but I need to be humble about them so as to make sure people like me" He never says that.

You're either doing it, or your not.

JMJ Farms said:
callmefence said:
I think I'll start a earth moving bidness with a short handled shovel and a wheelbarrow
Two things for sure Fence.
1) Your income will be almost entirely profit.
2) You will never need sleeping pills
:lol2:

And once you're successful, you'll have people who were failures on here giving you a critique and belittling you.

************* said:
If you are scratching your head and wondering why things are going wrong for you and your operation, or you feel like you are being left behind, then here is some excellent advice, and it certainly can be applied to the cattle business.

Think about this next time you say, "I can't afford to feed my cattle" or "I can't afford that better bull" or "I'm not going to buy the expensive semen, give me the cheap stuff" and the list goes on and on. You know who you are, and you know where it has gotten you in life. But the good thing is that it's never too late to change, and today is as good a day as ever to do it!

http://bit.ly/2H7KgrR

Isn't the very bottom line of having a job/career to first of all meet needs like food, shelter, and clothing, and at the same time, do it doing something you enjoy? Now, I realize we all probably want to shoot higher than just putting a bean on the table and having a shirt to wear; we all like financial comfort, physical comfort, and some shiny toys, but we don't all have to be filthy rich to be happy in life. As long as there is a "richest person in the world," or even in my county for that matter, and it's not me, I suppose I can always have an example to strive for more, but is that really what it takes to be happy? Not for me it isn't.

I have a public job that I consider a "good paying job." I have around 20 mama cows on 135 acres, and I don't owe anybody a red cent. It's always nice to say, "If I want to, I will……" I don't do it, but it's nice to be able to. For example, if I wake up in the summer one morning and it's a nice day for farming, and I decide I'm going to sit on my lazy butt in the porch swing for a day, it's not going to have a negative effect on my lifestyle one bit. I don't do it, but it's nice to know I could. Why would I want to risk all that to "expand?" What am I expanding? As far as I'm concerned, I've got it made in the shade, and it has nothing to do with being filthy rich, 'cause I ain't.

Is my farm dripping in new equipment and new barns? No. Do I always drive a relatively new vehicle? Not really, but that's never really pushed my happy button too much. Do I have financial stability? Yes. Do I get to have a diverse existence that's not totally consumed with work? Yes.

Even if a person is very rich and running an operation that's the envy of the country, nobody ever got there because they spent too much time with their family or spent too much time with their aging parents, or stopped to smell the roses along the way; roses that are not related to work. For me, that stuff is more important than money.

I realize what I just wrote isn't everybody's cup of tea, but the point is, we all have our own ideas. What makes people happy isn't the same for everyone and not always wrapped in a dollar bill.

************* said:
jehosofat said:
callmefence said:

Impressive! Don't be humble, OWN WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! Toot that horn, cause nobody else will do it for you.

If you drive boats better than anyone else does, then be nice you are the best. End of conversation.

Our pres says his properties are by far the best in the world, the very best, does he ever back down and say, "well, they are ok, but I need to be humble about them so as to make sure people like me" He never says that.

You're either doing it, or your not.
You'd be surprised at the folks that will notice your doing things right...id rather let actions speak for me....whether you bore with a big auger..are not..

************* said:
callmefence said:

If I were in the one percent, my farm would have woven wire fence on every part of it with nice black planks nailed to it, I would have a huge equipment building and new barns with employees everywhere......BUT that's not the case at Branded.

As Robert Kiyosaki said, if you are born poor, you will probably remain poor. My great grandmother was not barefoot and destitute, but she was not rolling in dough either when running Branded, and she RAN IT FOR SURE. She did, however, do one thing important, she read books, lots of them, which I now own. Books were her escape to a broader horizon after her day of hard physical labor. She absolutely knew the importance of learning, even though she was never formally educated. There were never any trust funds in my family, never was a large portfolio of rental properties handed down to me, nor did I get a large stipend each month to play businessman. Never happened here folks. Get over that impression if you are inclined to think that of Branded.

Back to the subject of vulgar wealth. If I were the 1% I might not go to the trouble of fixing up our farm, instead I would probably just move to Montana and buy a 40 thousand acre ranch, and be with the rest of the 1%. I would love to have a ranch with an airstrip that could handle large body private jets. Oh to dream such a dream.

So how much net wire you needing??

I wait for 0% financing deals. They always come along. Right now Deere apparently has 0% for 72 months on the R series tractors. I would say that of all the equipment I have financed. at least 60-70% of it is actually 0% financing. The other is below 5%.

If I can't make money work for above 0% financing I would be in sorry shape.

Why commit funds that can earn a market rate or better to equipment that has 0% financing?

Cash is a depreciating asset, it's one of the worst asset classes you can own. Inflation eventually makes cash worth less and less each year.

Land is an appreciating asset in most cases. Cattle get old and die, but they have a cash flow. They will appreciate in times of inflation. A cow today, for the most part, sells for a lot more than a cow in 1950, that's inflation.

Equipment depreciates, there is no argument about that, but try running a farm without it.

New equipment is all about how you value your time. If your time means nothing to you, then use equipment that breaks after 30 minutes and spend all day covered in grease trying to get it going. Lose hay to rain, because of your equipment that is out of service if that's your game plan. For me, I want to be in and out of that hayfield as fast as possible, because I have better things to do with my time. It's simple as that.

I saw the Amish last year plowing fields with a 1950's Farmall, getting it ready for beans. Then on down the road I saw some guys with some SERIOUS equipment knocking out their beans with ease. I'm sure an actual mule would work in feeding the cattle, but I prefer my John Deere Gator.

Another piece of "equipment" that I'm seriously considering is a DJI enterprise drone with a thermal imaging camera. Sounds fancy, but if I can go out on the porch, take a drone up at night during calving season and see who is doing what, see if any calves were born out in the back part of the farm, see if coyotes are near them, etc. Why the h.ll not? One lost or dead calf would pay for the drone, and back to the time issue, not having to drive all over the place to check things out at 1:00 a.m. is a bonus as well.

callmefence said:
************* said:
callmefence said:

Maybe 8-10 miles right now, if I were to fence it all off just how I would like. I would prefer to fence with that tightly woven horse fence you see on the Fayette county horse farms, and then have 4 board oak rails, then have it all sprayed black. Lots of continuous rail fencing as well.

In fact, if money were no object I would have a stone fence built on all of our frontage by Scottish Stonemasons. That's one percent stuff however, you only see that around Lexington Kentucky.

It takes outside businesses, and big hits on thoroughbred horses to make that happen. Not too many in the cattle business are spending like that on fence.

Of course that is IF I WERE in the 1%

************* said:
callmefence said:
************* said:

Maybe 8-10 miles right now, if I were to fence it all off just how I would like. I would prefer to fence with that tightly woven horse fence you see on the Fayette county horse farms, and then have 4 board oak rails, then have it all sprayed black. Lots of continuous rail fencing as well.

In fact, if money were no object I would have a stone fence built on all of our frontage by Scottish Stonemasons. That's one percent stuff however, you only see that around Lexington Kentucky.

It takes outside businesses, and big hits on thoroughbred horses to make that happen. Not too many in the cattle business are spending like that on fence.

Of course that is IF I WERE in the 1%
Just promise me the opportunity to bid...

Branded, you took what Fence said wrong, I never claimed to be a 1% er, but a couple years ago I said I owned a boat that was faster than 99% of every other boat in the country. That's what Fence meant by 1% er.

In reality, it's way less than 1% :lol:

jehosofat said:
Branded, you took what Fence said wrong, I never claimed to be a 1% er, but a couple years ago I said I owned a boat that was faster than 99% of every other boat in the country. That's what Fence meant by 1% er.

Yes that comment ricochetd. I meant nothing derogatory. I'm sure ol 6mm is
Exactly as he says.........

If I was in the top 1 percent I'd buy 80000 acres and put me a single wide right in the middle of it. No airstrip, prolly not even a road...

callmefence said:
jehosofat said:

Yes that comment ricochetd. I meant nothing derogatory. I'm sure ol 6mm is
Exactly as he says.........

If I was in the top 1 percent I'd buy 80000 acres and put me a single wide right in the middle of it. No airstrip, prolly not even a road...

That would work out well if we see a global meltdown and the cities collapse. I'm going to be urban where I'm located in time. Lot's of people crowding in, trying to buy cheap land.

Latest posts