Don’t tell people what you know, KEEP THEM POOR!

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
If you are scratching your head and wondering why things are going wrong for you and your operation, or you feel like you are being left behind, then here is some excellent advice, and it certainly can be applied to the cattle business.

Think about this next time you say, "I can't afford to feed my cattle" or "I can't afford that better bull" or "I'm not going to buy the expensive semen, give me the cheap stuff" and the list goes on and on. You know who you are, and you know where it has gotten you in life. But the good thing is that it's never too late to change, and today is as good a day as ever to do it!

http://bit.ly/2H7KgrR

What he says is very true. Can't never could and Don't be a "wish I had".

I guess because I don't associate with liberals I'm pretty happy right where I'm at in life. If folks would just mind their own darn business and worry about themselves they could be happy also. The only thing I'd change is my health and it's way to late to worry about that.

I can't tell you how many people I meet that say "that's for when you are in the big leagues"

Well, the big leaguers were once little leaguers.

There is another thread on CT discussing why cattle in Kentucky and Tennessee su..ck so badly. This video will clear up a lot regarding that question.

I'm looking at some new hay equipment right now, what I have is not that old about 4 years, but it doesn't do all that I need it to in order to produce the best hay for our herd. What I'm looking at is very expensive Deere equipment, 6R series tractor and a silage baler with B wrap. When I looked at the entire cost involved, it was not insignificant, but when I thought about what it could do to improve our program it seemed like a no brainer. Expensive is losing a big portion of your bale to rot. Expensive is feeding your cattle garbage hay.

I'm guilty as everyone else at trying to save a buck from time to time, but that mentality will usually set you back instead of moving you ahead towards bigger and better things in life. Just my opinion.

True Grit Farms said:
I guess because I don't associate with liberals I'm pretty happy right where I'm at in life. If folks would just mind their own darn business and worry about themselves they could be happy also. The only thing I'd change is my health and it's way to late to worry about that.

What does being Liberal have anything to do with this thread? I seriously doubt too many Conservatives would praise the benefits of being poor. They sure don't practice it if they do, since most that are in political power are well off and they intend on becoming even more well off over the next two years.

I am located in an area where 1 in 4 people are below the poverty level. A lot of people are on Gov assistance. I can assure you they aren't happy, their appearance and faces say otherwise. They find no joy in having their utilities cut off frequently or their car repo'd. That's not the definition of happiness. The county was heavily, if not nearly completely Conservative so that Liberal comment doesn't fly here.

I posted that video for anyone that is in a slump and needed some motivation, as we all need at times. It was not to offend, or drag this towards a political discussion.

True Grit Farms said:
A hay barn is the best investment you can make in the cattle business.
ive heard a man say once ..you'll pay for a hay barn in one form or the other..when you count all the waste...personally give me a new barn, and old equipment anyday

ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:
ive heard a man say once ..you'll pay follow r a hay barn in one form or the other..when you count all the waste...personally give me a new barn, and old equipment anyday

Barns, and a good knife pay the best dividends.

ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:
ive heard a man say once ..you'll pay for a hay barn in one form or the other..when you count all the waste...personally give me a new barn, and old equipment anyday

I agree a hay barn will pay for itself. I want one. And may actually need one. But it's a fairly large upfront cost. My best estimate, based on my operation and the size barn I would need (and this should work for most operations), is that it will take 10 years to pay for itself, provided its paid for upfront and no interest is calculated. I also didn't account for the time value of money, or the labor to stack the barn, and then unstack at feeding.

I've wondered if 2-3 extra wraps of net wrap per bale wouldn't be just as good, EXCEPT for the fact that after 10-12-15 years, you'd STILL have the barn, while the net wrap would be in the dumpster.

One thing is sure. There's no easy cheap way to feed hay. Imo it's an expensive way to feed a cow. But I don't have a better option.

ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:

I don't disagree with the hay barn idea. That is what I would prefer, but it would take a good size barn to hold 1200-1500 4x6 rolls. Maybe that is in the picture for us in time.

As for the old equipment, I somewhat disagree. I have a New Holland baler and from what I can tell the Deere is a lot more efficient in picking up and keeping all that is cut on a field. The New Holland I have does waste hay on the pickup. Hay is only going to become more expensive and I don't want to waste any that I don't have to.

I went and listened to a very successful entrepreneur.
He stated if everyone started over in the USA with 100 dollars, Bill Gates would still be where he is and the guy living under the overpass still there.

Most people I have encountered with real money seldom talk about it.
A good read is the Millionaire Next Door.

JMJ Farms said:
ALACOWMAN said:
True Grit Farms said:

I agree a hay barn will pay for itself. I want one. And may actually need one. But it's a fairly large upfront cost. My best estimate, based on my operation and the size barn I would need (and this should work for most operations), is that it will take 10 years to pay for itself, provided its paid for upfront and no interest is calculated. I also didn't account for the time value of money, or the labor to stack the barn, and then unstack at feeding.

I've wondered if 2-3 extra wraps of net wrap per bale wouldn't be just as good, EXCEPT for the fact that after 10-12-15 years, you'd STILL have the barn, while the net wrap would be in the dumpster.

One thing is sure. There's no easy cheap way to feed hay. Imo it's an expensive way to feed a cow. But I don't have a better option.

Let's assume one rolls 1000 bales, and those bales lose 15% to rot, that means you just rolled 150 rolls to throw away. At about $40 a roll, you just burned $6k up as if throwing it in a fire. Over 5 years that is $30k.

Now assume you are using twine wrap, the loss is even more drastic, probably 25-30%. Imagine tossing away 300 rolls to rot.

Deere has the B wrap which looks good to me, and seems to make a plastic wrapper like the Anderson wrapper non essential. However I'm wondering how the quality would be if you did B wrap AND plastic wrap combined to protect against the endless rain. I would think it would be impervious.

Caustic Burno said:
He stated if everyone started over in the USA with 100 dollars, Bill Gates would still be where he is and the guy living under the overpass still there.
Any body that tells you, money can't buy happiness....never needed bail money... :cowboy:

Caustic Burno said:

Most people I have encountered with real money seldom talk about it.
A good read is the Millionaire Next Door.

The saying is "if you took all the money from the rich and gave it to the poor, in 10 years the rich would have it all back again" I largely think that is true.

As for the rich not talking about money. I have to disagree, I've known personally some people with 9 figure net worths and their money is more important than their kids or anything else for that matter, and they would be offended if you didn't recognize that they were rich. Tacky, but rich nevertheless.

I think some really wealthy people don't like the unwanted attention it can garner for safety reasons or because they are up to something shady. It's definitely not because they are humble.

ALACOWMAN said:
Caustic Burno said:
Any body that tells you, money can't buy happiness....never needed bail money... :cowboy:

Our Treasury Secretary's wife, Louise Linton is a perfect example of the need for dough.

She routinely refers to C.R.E.A.M. in her social media posts

"Cash Rules Everthing Around Me"

Can't argue with her on that, LOL!

a hay barn is one of the best investments you can make.. ours is 112x40 and does for us, but we'd like more space for equipment.
We have small squares, on a 7 layer stack the bottom layer is mostly rotten and the top two, that's about 40% waste.. now there's none... and trying to pry frozen bales loose at 0F isn't very fun either, my dad broke 4 ribs falling off a haystack way back when.

Latest posts