dog ear infection

Help Support CattleToday:

dianenolte

Reaction score
I have a dog that keeps getting ear infections. She is an Irish Setter, so prone to them. Was wondering it I could put Tomorrow (stuff used for mastitis in cows to keep dry) in them to keep them dry. It has cephaperim bezathime it it.

most pet ear and skin problems are actually diet related. what are you feeding? try a super high quality food for a month or so and see if that helps (I like Wellness products, but there are others) the expense is offset from medication and vet bills you no longer need to pay.

dianenolte said:
I have a dog that keeps getting ear infections. She is an Irish Setter, so prone to them. Was wondering it I could put Tomorrow (stuff used for mastitis in cows to keep dry) in them to keep them dry. It has cephaperim bezathime it it.

I would consult a vet first. I had a Great Pyrenees that was prone to ear infections. I got eardrops from a vet that weren't real expensive.
I also concur with Hippie Rancher that the higher end dogfood helps with skin issues, and very well could with the ear infections as well.
Had a Border Collie that had skin allergies and when I switched him over to a lamb and rice dogfood he didnt have anymore issues and gained some weight. Someone once told me that if a dog wasn't having any issues then any dog food was fine but if they were then that was when they needed the grain free food.

Ear Infections in dogs can be simple, complex, multifaceted. Lots breeds predisposed. Dog ear is cone shaped going into the head. Any inflammation, discharge drains deep instead of draining out. It can range anywhere from a simple bacterial or fungal infection to a multifaceted infection involving breed predisposition, allergies, food allergies, trauma, environment, and probably as big PIA for Vet as owner. As general rule most OTC pet ear cleaning safe and ok to use. Apply, massage ear, then clean ear with paper towel over index finger, not Q tips. Food trial is one simplest trials for owner to do but take bout 30 days, and even if eliminate grains in foods have to do same with all treats. Couple more common foods to try fish/potato, duck/potato, lot time this helps but not 100% as lots time other allergy involved. Best bet is to consult your veterinarian, but realize this probably not a one and done. This post does not count as DVM consultation, just some advice from many years Vet.

Nothing wrong using mineral oil as cleaner. My opinion, I dont want put oil in area I want to dry up, and most ear infections of moist character. Old time ear wash was rubbing alcohol/hydrogen peroxide 50/50, but if have raw areas will be uncomfortable for dog. Lots treatment products are in oil based, but have some type antibacterial or anti fungal product. Mineral oil in a dry crusted ear would actually be indicated, but in any cleaning situation, aint gonna hurt nothing. BTW Still a Vet, health issues preclude me from doing what I loved.