does anybody have purebreed Herefords besides me?

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't synch and I do the inseminating myself

dun

D.R. Cattle":20quclw7 said:
Dun are you AI ing them yourself, or do you have a tech do it when you synch them.

Unless there is a specific breed class for them they just don't have a prayer. The black is beautiful thing in the judges eyes rears it's ugly head. I'm looking for a couple of purebred yearling heifers just because I like having them around. Don't get me worng, I like the baldies, but I have a terrible soft spot for straightbred Herefords. It doesn't hurt us at marketing because of our marketing group and folks do seem to like my red baldy heifers for momma cows.

dun

D.R. Cattle":tlqrdmgy said:
I don't see why a Hereford couldn't win? I feel very highly about hereford as a quality beef breed.

Charlotte -- based solely on my observations at only a few county fairs I've attended in recent years I'd have to agree with the others, i.e. that your daughter would have little or no chance with a straight Hereford. I don't know what part of the country you are in --- in my part of Texas there are frequently 3 brackets: English, Brahman Influenced and All Other Breeds (Continentals). If you want your daughter to show a calf that was born and raised on your place consider AI'ng some of your best cows to a good Black Angus and compete in British with a black baldy -- or if down south maybe AI to a beefy J. D. Hudgins Brahma and have a tiger stripe entry in Brahman Influenced. Gosh, as I recall, the last country fair I went to I looked at what I estimate to be about 100 or more entries and not a single one was a straight Hereford. Interestingly, the top two placers in the English category were both roan Shorthorns. Arnold Ziffle

The straight or X british don't win is mainly because we have a bunch of college professors judging the shows. Both Major shows down to the small County Fairs and if they are not judging; the other judges have watched them for so long being the expert, they try to do the same as the college guy would. They are the ones that were picking the little cattle and overnite started picking cattle 6 ft tall or taller.
My opinion is to get the kid a good quality steer, let her do the feeding and fitting. You help her to get started. She will probaly need help halter
breaking it, but let her do the work. If she does a good job with a top quality animal and doesn't win the show she shouldn't be embarassed.
She will not be a looser, just would not have had the animal that the judge liked that particular day. The main thing is the education and discipline, sportsmanship that she receives. Also the many friends that she will make. I have seen many times that a kid didn't win a class but turned around and won in showmanship. To me that shows what a kid has done and not what big bucks bought.
Time to get off my soapbox.

Latest posts