Do you call it Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes we use mow here as in:
I need to mow the yard. Also Yard instead of Lawn.
We're going to go mow hay. Cut is used as well sometimes though.
If its grass in a field that we cut hay on yearly it's called hay.
If it's a pasture field we don't typically cut or mow and we decide to use it for hay a time or so it's, I'm going to mow or cut the pasture for hay.
The word grass is usually associated with the yard. Unless we are talking about a field needing more in it. We need to add some more grass fescue, timothy, orchard grass etc...
I'll use the word staples as well as steeples, now dad always calls them steeples.
I deworm my cattle but several others worm their cattle.
Breakfast is say about 5am to 9am.
Brunch is 9am to 11am
Lunch is 12pm to 2pm
Dinner is 5pm to 7pm
Supper is 7pm to 10pm
Now I don't eat all 5 just 2 or 3. I just pick the times I want to eat.

FlyingLSimmentals":2d1jfyj8 said:
If it's a pasture field we don't typically cut or mow and we decide to use it for hay a time or so it's, I'm going to mow or cut the pasture for hay.
The word grass is usually associated with the yard. Unless we are talking about a field needing more in it. We need to add some more grass fescue, timothy, orchard grass etc...
I'll use the word staples as well as steeples, now dad always calls them steeples.
Brunch is 9am to 11am
Lunch is 12pm to 2pm
Dinner is 5pm to 7pm
Supper is 7pm to 10pm

Thank you. Exactly the same here.

Bright Raven":jem88vyw said:
FlyingLSimmentals":jem88vyw said:
Brunch is 9am to 11am
Lunch is 12pm to 2pm
Dinner is 5pm to 7pm
Supper is 7pm to 10pm

Is not.

TennesseeTuxedo":qb5vey1r said:
Bright Raven":qb5vey1r said:
FlyingLSimmentals":qb5vey1r said:
Brunch is 9am to 11am
Lunch is 12pm to 2pm
Dinner is 5pm to 7pm
Supper is 7pm to 10pm

Is not.
Is so.

FlyingLSimmentals":2bq8hd8m said:
Brunch is 9am to 11am
Lunch is 12pm to 2pm
Dinner is 5pm to 7pm
Supper is 7pm to 10pm

When you mow or cut hay and you intend to bale it in round bales: do you say, "I am going to roll my hay this afternnoon"?

Here, round bales are called rolls of hay.

Bright Raven":2nvsg67w said:
When you mow or cut hay and you intend to bale it in round bales: do you say, "I am going to roll my hay this afternnoon"?

Here, round bales are called rolls of hay.
We "bale" hay, round or square. If they are square it is specified i.e. "gonna square bale" that field

Yes, I do say I'm going to roll hay this evening or midday etc... Now when I tell someone how many it made I'll say round bales or rolls. Now with square bales it's always bale hay or square bale hay.

Bright Raven":22d3ahvz said:
Rafter S":22d3ahvz said:
It is perfectly acceptable to say "I'm going to cut hay tomorrow." It is wrong, on the other hand, to point to green grass that's growing and refer to it as hay. And this is coming from someone that spent a good chunk of his life in a hay field.

I agree that is the "proper" use. But it is common in Kentucky and particularly among the farmers I grew up around to hear them refer to the grasses, clovers, etc. that grows in their hay field as "hay".

In example, Johnny Workman was just here this evening. I called him this morning to find out if he would harvest my hay crop. He pulled up. We said hello and he stated, "Let's go look at your hay."

He didn't say, "Let's go look at your grass".

As I said, this my be a Kentucky colloquialism. But it is not just me. Everyone around here refers to the grasses and clovers in their hay field as HAY.

I'm from KY, and what you described is how everyone I know refers to it as well. If someone around here said "I'm going to mow 30 acres of grass tomorrow," I'd assume he had a huge yard.

herofan":vdgzu5rg said:
Bright Raven":vdgzu5rg said:
Rafter S":vdgzu5rg said:
It is perfectly acceptable to say "I'm going to cut hay tomorrow." It is wrong, on the other hand, to point to green grass that's growing and refer to it as hay. And this is coming from someone that spent a good chunk of his life in a hay field.

I agree that is the "proper" use. But it is common in Kentucky and particularly among the farmers I grew up around to hear them refer to the grasses, clovers, etc. that grows in their hay field as "hay".

In example, Johnny Workman was just here this evening. I called him this morning to find out if he would harvest my hay crop. He pulled up. We said hello and he stated, "Let's go look at your hay."

He didn't say, "Let's go look at your grass".

As I said, this my be a Kentucky colloquialism. But it is not just me. Everyone around here refers to the grasses and clovers in their hay field as HAY.

I'm from KY, and what you described is how everyone I know refers to it as well. If someone around here said "I'm going to mow 30 acres of grass tomorrow," I'd assume he had a huge yard.

Yep!

Craig Miller":ghq4s8y0 said:
Do you consider yourself a farmer or a rancher? We are all farmers here no matter if you have cows or crops.
only farmers here to

and its hay if its a hay field and grass if its a yard or pasture!

I refer to the growing product "My Hay Patch". Once rolled it's my hay. My choice driven by nothing. Just seems to be a reasonable assessment.

Craig Miller":1icd0rvw said:
Do you consider yourself a farmer or a rancher? We are all farmers here no matter if you have cows or crops.
you're not a 'farmer' here unless you inherited acres from daddy/granddaddy and have a combine. cows, silage, hay, etc.. nope.. just some guy.

ex. new people moved into a house who has a 5 acre field they didn't want. I tried to buy it off the guy before and he wouldn't sell it since he already had it listed.. wouldn't of gotten a penny more / less if he sold i tto me.. but anyway.. i went and asked the new people if they wanted o sell it and they were like.. 'we're renting it to the farmer'

i'm like.. uhh.. oh. ok.. well.. I farm as well. they just looked at me all weird. i guess instead of working 365 i should just plant, spray and combine then i'm a real farmer. not this easy stuff of everyday hard work. people are so disconnected.

hell even my mother told me.. "well. your not really a farmer, you don't have crops." haha. At that time I had 180 ewes and 120 head of cattle.. .. yea.. just some guy with a hobby.

ddd75":328tbmqa said:
Craig Miller":328tbmqa said:
you're not a 'farmer' here unless you inherited acres from daddy/granddaddy and have a combine. cows, silage, hay, etc.. nope.. just some guy.

ex. new people moved into a house who has a 5 acre field they didn't want. I tried to buy it off the guy before and he wouldn't sell it since he already had it listed.. wouldn't of gotten a penny more / less if he sold i tto me.. but anyway.. i went and asked the new people if they wanted o sell it and they were like.. 'we're renting it to the farmer'

i'm like.. uhh.. oh. ok.. well.. I farm as well. they just looked at me all weird. i guess instead of working 365 i should just plant, spray and combine then i'm a real farmer. not this easy stuff of everyday hard work. people are so disconnected.

be nice even my mother told me.. "well. your not really a farmer, you don't have crops." haha. At that time I had 180 ewes and 120 head of cattle.. .. yea.. just some guy with a hobby.

Same experience here. I was raised on a Kentucky farm. Lived out west, moved back. I am the "guy from Colorado".

True Grit Farms":3b7uxkc3 said:
Different Ron, at least the spelling police are eating doughnuts and drinking coffee.

You know. I am fond of that. :hat:

Did they write you a ticket?

Latest posts