Do you call it Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Then why didn't you word your question to ask only Kentucky hillbillies to explain the difference in hay and grass . the rest of the civilized world knows the difference as this thread is an example.

M-5":2q8kif8w said:
Then why didn't you word your question to ask only Kentucky hillbillies to explain the difference in hay and grass . the rest of the civilized world knows the difference as this thread is an example.

The objective was to determine if any other parts of the country have the same practice.

It is NOT just California, but also Missouri. When it is standing in the field, it is called grass. I am going to "cut my grass to make hay". Not "I'm going to cut my hay to make hay". A hay field is called that, but the green stuff growing is called grass until it is actually cut....
Even Webster says "Definition of hay
: herbage and especially grass mowed and cured for fodder"

Note the MOWED AND CURED

I do not think Ron was trying to prove he is right, just that there are differences in regions as to how it is labeled. My teacher background does not allow me to ignore the error in his speech, but forces me to correct him everytime he uses it incorrectly! I am sure it gets irritating! Hay and cutting grass consumes most topics the last few days... since it is that time around here.
I am the one that wanted to start this thread, and begin with a voting thing on it to see what the consensus was. I was just busy teaching classes today and could not get on here to beat him to the punch, so to speak. I have a life off the farm...

Fire Sweep Ranch":3lofpenw said:
It is NOT just California, but also Missouri. When it is standing in the field, it is called grass. I am going to "cut my grass to make hay". Not "I'm going to cut my hay to make hay". A hay field is called that, but the green stuff growing is called grass until it is actually cut....
Even Webster says "Definition of hay
: herbage and especially grass mowed and cured for fodder"

Note the MOWED AND CURED

I do not think Ron was trying to prove he is right, just that there are differences in regions as to how it is labeled. My teacher background does not allow me to ignore the error in his speech, but forces me to correct him everytime he uses it incorrectly! I am sure it gets irritating! Hay and cutting grass consumes most topics the last few days... since it is that time around here.
I am the one that wanted to start this thread, and begin with a voting thing on it to see what the consensus was. I was just busy teaching classes today and could not get on here to beat him to the punch, so to speak. I have a life off the farm...

:bs:

In all my life, I have yet to hear a Kentucky farmer say, "Well, boys. We got a stretch of dry weather ahead of us. I'm gonna mow my grass."

If he did, you would reply. "HeII, make your wife mow the lawn."

Bright Raven":372j3et8 said:
In all my life, I have yet to hear a Kentucky farmer say, "Well, boys. We got a stretch of dry weather ahead of us. I'm gonna mow my grass."

Aren't these the same guys who call fencing staples, "steeples"?

TennesseeTuxedo":39h5x40m said:
Bright Raven":39h5x40m said:

Aren't these the same guys who call fencing staples, "steeples"?

Yes sir. I heard them called that most of the time.

Bright Raven":mm16qlsu said:

We don't mow hay either. We cut hay.

Craig Miller":1xhhmruw said:
Bright Raven":1xhhmruw said:

+2. Also, staples are what holds pieces of paper together. Steeples hold barb wire to wooden fence posts, but good luck driving them in a hedge post (not osage orange).

Trying to think of words I have heard only here in Eastern Kentucky.

Poke means a paper sack.

Quarn- means a real nasty dirt. Like what you see between the cracks in the kitchen table.

Nary- like I don't have nary a penny.

No one here says Bathe. I am going to take a bath. Not I am going to bathe.

Pen is pin.

Tire is tar.

Fire is far.

Clodhopper":3jdn4mbo said:
Craig Miller":3jdn4mbo said:
Bright Raven":3jdn4mbo said:

+2. Also, staples are what holds pieces of paper together. Steeples hold barb wire to wooden fence posts, but good luck driving them in a hedge post (not osage orange).

Read the word on the tub they come in. You'll see the word staples.

Churches have steeples, fences do not.

TennesseeTuxedo":1dag4tvt said:
Clodhopper":1dag4tvt said:
Craig Miller":1dag4tvt said:

That's where things start to drive me nuts (more of a putt then a drive)
When people use pin for pen is the one that alwasy confuses me. Local saying/terminology can be some confusing.
After 45 years of marriage my wife still hasn;t figured out what "half again as much" means

TennesseeTuxedo":2hmuej7x said:
Clodhopper":2hmuej7x said:
Craig Miller":2hmuej7x said:

No one is saying it is "Proper". The reality is that is what many of us grew up hearing them called.

dun":ynqosf28 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":ynqosf28 said:
Clodhopper":ynqosf28 said:

When people use pin for pen is the one that alwasy confuses me. Local saying/terminology can be some confusing.
After 45 years of marriage my wife still hasn;t figured out what "half again as much" means

I haven't been married quite that long, but I still can't get mine to use the proper terminology for meals. Although we agree on breakfast, despite my best efforts she still insists on calling the noon meal "lunch", and the evening meal "dinner", when everyone knows that it should be "dinner" and "supper".

I agree rafter and after much thought I sure hope we get some rain on my hay ..... oh wait! I put hay under the barn so it wont get wet ..... so should I hope for rain on my grass ??? that cant be right....... So should I say I feed hay 12mths a yr ??? cause ive been know to let the cows graze a field I bale ...... why the heII are we even considering what a hillbilly in kenphucky says about proper terminology

Rafter S":1ju23mec said:
dun":1ju23mec said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ju23mec said:

I haven't been married quite that long, but I still can't get mine to use the proper terminology for meals. Although we agree on breakfast, despite my best efforts she still insists on calling the noon meal "lunch", and the evening meal "dinner", when everyone knows that it should be "dinner" and "supper".

I'm pretty sure you're talking about "lunch" and "supper"