Do you call it Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat":53ahi85u said:
So when you get the crop (that you feed your cattle) laying on the ground and it's dried properly, do you bale it or wrap it?
I'd associate "wrapping" with plastic sheeting, not twin or net.

1982vett":b0y3ho92 said:
D2Cat":b0y3ho92 said:
So when you get the crop (that you feed your cattle) laying on the ground and it's dried properly, do you bale it or wrap it?
I'd associate "wrapping" with plastic sheeting, not twin or net.
Me to, but I still call it penning cattle not pinning

D2Cat":3kazlw6e said:

Just had that discussion last evening. Seems that there are more producers going back to square bales. One of the factors mentioned was the amount of hay going to the horse farms. Round bales still are predominant.

BTW: they call them rolls here not bales. Plus, they say rolling your hay. :D

Most rolls are tied with twine. I never see netting.

Craig Miller":1bl954kx said:
dun":1bl954kx said:
Me to, but I still call it penning cattle not pinning

That's the same word spelled two different ways.
So you write with a pin and hold things with a safety pen?

D2Cat":ieb807re said:
We usually roll it and bind with netwrap.

Bright Raven":2yusobwk said:
D2Cat":2yusobwk said:

Just had that discussion last evening. Seems that there are more producers going back to square bales. One of the factors mentioned was the amount of hay going to the horse farms. Round bales still are predominant.

If I had a hay barn I'd stick with twine but since we store outdoors net wrap is superior.

TennesseeTuxedo":3d7o1z08 said:
Bright Raven":3d7o1z08 said:
D2Cat":3d7o1z08 said:

If I had a hay barn I'd stick with twine but since we store outdoors net wrap is superior.

There is a Cost Share hay storage facility on 1 of every 2 farms here. I would guess, it is the number one most common use of Cost Share money.

Bright Raven":1qmzeejz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1qmzeejz said:
Bright Raven":1qmzeejz said:

There is a Cost Share hay storage facility on 1 of every 2 farms here. I would guess, it is the number one most common use of Cost Share money.

Are we really gonna start that debate in the middle of this tgread? lol

TennesseeTuxedo":wav8cael said:
Bright Raven":wav8cael said:
TennesseeTuxedo":wav8cael said:

Check your spelling, Dad.

Bright Raven":1icyrp8v said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1icyrp8v said:
Bright Raven":1icyrp8v said:

Check your spelling, Dad.

Big hands and a tiny key board. Sorry.

TennesseeTuxedo":2fm2pk2s said:
dun":2fm2pk2s said:
Craig Miller":2fm2pk2s said:
That's the same word spelled two different ways.

Not the same word Craig

We don't pin anything unless it's on pinterest. We either "catch them" when were ready to haul or "catch them up" if we need them to stay in the catch pen for a while.

Craig Miller":7ld06rgv said:
TennesseeTuxedo":7ld06rgv said:
dun":7ld06rgv said:

Not the same word Craig

We don't pin anything unless it's on pinterest. We either "catch them" when were ready to haul or "catch them up" if we need them to stay in the catch pen for a while.

I think that's dun's point as well. A pen, in this context, holds cattle. The word "pin" isn't applicable.

Craig Miller":wuc5ov94 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":wuc5ov94 said:
dun":wuc5ov94 said:

Not the same word Craig

Hillbilly language:

Hillbilly 1: Be err tamar ta git that heifer.
Hillbilly 2: I'll git er up.
Hillbilly 1: I'll be err bout 9.
Hillbilly 2: Shell be up.

Bright Raven":3656d5lx said:
Craig Miller":3656d5lx said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3656d5lx said:
Not the same word Craig

Hillbilly language:

Hillbilly 1: Be err tamar ta git that heifer.
Hillbilly 2: I'll git er up.
Hillbilly 1: I'll be err bout 9.
Hillbilly 2: Shell be up.

Stop that gibberish.

Bright Raven":2w1j3jf4 said:
Trying to think of words I have heard only here in Eastern Kentucky.

Poke means a paper sack.

Quarn- means a real nasty dirt. Like what you see between the cracks in the kitchen table.

Nary- like I don't have nary a penny.

No one here says Bathe. I am going to take a bath. Not I am going to bathe.

Pen is pin.

Tire is tar.

Fire is far.

I was once made fun of by a fellow for saying car tire(tar) and cell tower(tar) both tire/tower sounds the same but context gives it away. I quickly reminded him that a fellow from MS doesn't have any room to talk. :)
Let's just say I got the eraser or whatever was in my teachers hand thrown at me a lot in 5th grade English class and that is no joke. That is where I learned to Juke!

OldCrow":ahtju6a6 said:
Let's just say I got the eraser or whatever was in my teachers hand thrown at me a lot in 5th grade English class and that is no joke. That is where I learned to Juke!
For me it was Mr Johnson. I swear he could throw that eraser (blackboard) so it would curve around some one else to hit his target.