Do they still teach long hand in school

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I took TB's advice a read through the cut up chicken post, since I buy my chickens four or five at a time when they go on sale for .99/lb I figured I couldn't contribute anything. Although I can and do cut a whole bird into pieces....... To answer question TB 8 pieces is the correct answer.

But the chicken and tape measure threads got me wondering if they still teach long hand or cursy (sp) in school. When I was in school they did teach it and some reports we turned in in high school had to be in long hand and readable. I have'nt seen it in such a long time, I wonder if kids today would even recognize it and could read it.

Alan":1uj91k0c said:
I have'nt seen it in such a long time, I wonder if kids today would even recognize it and could read it.
If I wrote it they wouldn;t recognize it or be able to read it. Lately I can;t even read what I wrote. I'm thining it has to do with the same deal as meeting new people every day.

I don't know if they still teach it or not, but it's "cursive". Not trying to be a know-it-all, just thought you might want to know.

They are dropping cursive from our school district. Implemented e-learning 3 years back. Then can't figure out why kids struggle with things like spelling, punctuation and grammar. Atleast that's what the scores show. I tease my older boys about it. They retort with, "Get with the times old man. Spell check, grammar check and auto format is there for a reason." I don't even know what auto format is...

Thanks, not a problem. In school it was referred to only as long hand, my mom (born and raised in Mississippi) is the only one I knew of that called it, as she pronounced it, "cursy. I thinking it has gone the way of written letters, vanished with the evolution of technology.

bball":2tfahk43 said:
They are dropping cursive from our school district. Implemented e-learning 3 years back. Then can't figure out why kids struggle with things like spelling, punctuation and grammar. Atleast that's what the scores show. I tease my older boys about it. They retort with, "Get with the times old man. Spell check, grammar check and auto format is there for a reason." I don't even know what auto format is...

Reminds of a line in a movie a saw. Family setting around the dinner table, mom and dad praising their high school daughter about her achievements in school. Grade school boy cuts in and says "hey you know what? I got a 100 on my spelling test today!" Dad looks at him and says, " you all have spell check, it's not that big of a deal."

They don't teach it here. But still require a signature on legal documents. Got sign your name in cursive to get a drivers license. Think of all the old documents they won't be able to read.

Alan":1yavyrhw said:
I took TB's advice a read through the cut up chicken post, since I buy my chickens four or five at a time when they go on sale for .99/lb I figured I couldn't contribute anything. Although I can and do cut a whole bird into pieces....... To answer question TB 8 pieces is the correct answer.
But the chicken and tape measure threads got me wondering if they still teach long hand or cursy (sp) in school. When I was in school they did teach it and some reports we turned in in high school had to be in long hand and readable. I have'nt seen it in such a long time, I wonder if kids today would even recognize it and could read it.
. Can't teach you Yankees anything . I bet you ain't never even seen a pully bone much less know how to cut it.

I envy people with the ability to write longhand. I never was 'real accomplished at it but as I get older and more harried my writing is getting even worse. If for no other reason than my writing ability I would have been a great doctor ((MD ). Actually I really have to slow down when I print or five minutes later I can't read it.

Cursive is still taught here but there was some talk about discontinuing it several months ago. Never heard any more about it. I use to have nice cursive writing but when I took my first class in engineering graphics and had to label everything and try to make it look almost like type I got in the habit of printing. Now I even print my name when I "sign" a check.

It breaks my heart that children are no longer taught cursive writing in school. I was the last third grade teacher to teach guided cursive writing in my county. Now adults have to print their name. The children came to third grade eager to learn "real writing," as they called it. By October most third graders could write everything in cursive. I required it. When they left my class and went to fourth grade,all but one teacher made them stop cursive and go back to printing. I do not understand a lot that is happening. Children who did beautiful cursive were heartbroken when they came back to tell me.
It used to be a GA state standard that all third graders write legibly in cursive by the end of year. Now it is becoming a lost art. Like I said it died in my county when I stopped teaching. I dearly loved to teach it. A few weeks ago, a student going into seventh grade asked me to reach him how to write his name in cursive.
Our school systems continue to teach less and less. I wonder how students will make it when they get out in the real world. They can't read, depend on calculators and computers for everything. I do not have an answer.

bball":fnbroani said:

More than half the world population has no access to computers and modern electronic writing capability.

Computers still screw up - there, their and they're / two, to and too and affect, effect are three small examples.

Make that mistake in the wrong spot it could cost you a contract or a job or more.

Less than 10 years ago we were in the arctic and lost all of our electronic gear.

If we had not been able to write, perform simple math in our heads and complete an entire geographic survey on paper with pencils - the mission would have been lost.

All it takes is one EMP to kill the entire electronic world.

As with any trade or any job - loose the basics, loose the ability to understand and operate the complex.

Modern aircraft and modern UAV systems - despite automation still require abilities to do simple math in your head ie: 6 x 8 divided by 4 - and the ability to write simple notations on a pad of paper when a clearance is issued and delivered for read back.

Field notes for surveys and for forestry calculations can be completed on a computer however if on an extended trip even additional batteries can run dry in the bush. Try replacing them more than a thousand miles up the Amazon.

Smart phones are not capable of operating in more than two thirds of the world at this time - no reception or communications available.

Unfortunately schools do not teach our children HOW to think - the tell them WHAT to think.

So - my response to your kids would be:

"Let's go low tech - give me all your stuff and see if you can function - because some day you just might HAVE to"

Reading - writing and basic math - vital yet essentially ignored by the modern "educator nazis".

Cheers

Alan":388jdfq2 said:
Thanks, not a problem. In school it was referred to only as long hand, my mom (born and raised in Mississippi) is the only one I knew of that called it, as she pronounced it, "cursy. I thinking it has gone the way of written letters, vanished with the evolution of technology.

Your mom is from Mississippi! :shock:

You have no idea how much that disturbed me!

Williamsv":34b91qwr said:
It breaks my heart that children are no longer taught cursive writing in school. I was the last third grade teacher to teach guided cursive writing in my county. Now adults have to print their name. The children came to third grade eager to learn "real writing," as they called it...
Good post Wsv, brings back memories. I remember learning "real writing" in third grade and like you said all the class was eager to learn how to do it. The teacher had all the letters in cursive over the blackboard and we'd practice doing one every day until we had learned them all. I still have some of the pages where we'd write the same letter over and over to fill up the page in upper and lower case. Then we learned how to string the letters together into words. I was going to Moore Street school in Dublin at the time. That was 1964. I have not forgotten how to write in cursive.

Red Bull Breeder":2cp62n25 said:
Think of all the old documents they won't be able to read.
My kids are home schooled and they're learning cursive both to have it as a communications skill and the reason above. I'm not a conspiracy theory nut but the way things have been going lately it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the government stopped teaching cursive for the purpose of creating citizens who cannot read what the constitution says.

Deepsouth":3svrxhyh said:
Alan":3svrxhyh said:

Your mom is from Mississippi! :shock:

You have no idea how much that disturbed me!

I have to admit I did think of you when I revealed that fact, but it was/is the word she used for long hand. I can thank my mothers up bringing in rural Mississippi for my correct pronunciation and spelling of the word "cursy". :shock: :hide: :hide: :hide:

Williamsv":290t4126 said:
It breaks my heart that children are no longer taught cursive writing in school. I was the last third grade teacher to teach guided cursive writing in my county. Now adults have to print their name. The children came to third grade eager to learn "real writing," as they called it. By October most third graders could write everything in cursive. I required it. When they left my class and went to fourth grade,all but one teacher made them stop cursive and go back to printing. I do not understand a lot that is happening. Children who did beautiful cursive were heartbroken when they came back to tell me.
It used to be a GA state standard that all third graders write legibly in cursive by the end of year. Now it is becoming a lost art. Like I said it died in my county when I stopped teaching. I dearly loved to teach it. A few weeks ago, a student going into seventh grade asked me to reach him how to write his name in cursive.
Our school systems continue to teach less and less. I wonder how students will make it when they get out in the real world. They can't read, depend on calculators and computers for everything. I do not have an answer.

I couldn't agree more. My kids who are in their late 20's and early 30's all learned long hand. But our schools are failing our children in TOO many ways. I too did the pages of long hand letters as GP did.

Alan":1zi1z6df said:
Thanks, not a problem. In school it was referred to only as long hand, my mom (born and raised in Mississippi) is the only one I knew of that called it, as she pronounced it, "cursy.
My mom's mom, my grandma was from right here in central Ga. and the way she said Florida was "Flurdee". :lol2:

I've yet to see a mexican who could write cursive. Even those who had been through university. Must not be taught there.

Latest posts