Do I Need a USDOT Number?

Help Support CattleToday:

You might need one but your way better off not having one a just pay the fine. If your raising the cows to eat as personal property you don't need a DOT number. I been through this with my fishing boat and finally got it worked out, for now. It's just a fishing boat, not a commercial fishing boat. My advice is to look for the loopholes.

Some states are enforcing that and others aren't. I haven't looked into it but a guy from our cattlemen's association said there were additional things needed if you went across a state line.

I did not research this myself, because I was already familiar with the DOT two-step and wanted to stay away from it. I was told, as long as you are hauling your own, and are not for hire nor hauling for others, you are okay. I haul in and out of Oklahoma for several years now since our local barn burned down. Never been questioned, never heard of anyone else being questioned.

I got a DOT number. I put the number on a board that I can mount on the pickup by setting it into the stake pockets. The only time it is up is when I am hauling. The DOT number was free and I have never been stopped. I know of two guys who didn't get there number who got tickets. My number was free, their ticket was over $300.

Dave":ox0iafeg said:
I got a DOT number. I put the number on a board that I can mount on the pickup by setting it into the stake pockets. The only time it is up is when I am hauling. The DOT number was free and I have never been stopped. I know of two guys who didn't get there number who got tickets. My number was free, their ticket was over $300.

Our DOT number was $75.00 every two years. And I didn't like having the DOT officers out to the farm to check the truck and trailer for compliance. Also having to keep logs and yearly medical checkups was BS. I can do anything I want now, I just can't profit off the haul. Plus my truck insurance is about a third of what it was when I had my DOT numbers.

Load and go.
I've pulled out of MO, KS, through OK and out of MS all the time.
In MS I drive past the scales going in and coming out.
If they need to tell me something they'll come find me.

Oh, we don't run DOT numbers on our semis either. They are all farm use. Don't need them on even them. Do stop at the scales with them but I always try and find a road around if I can.

Don't ever stop at a scale with a pickup and trailer. If they want you make them come get you because it is very rare that they will, and if you pull in they like to find things to fine you for. Most states pay very little attention to the average farmer hauling his calves to the barn.

If you have a trailer over 32 feet it would increase your odds of getting stopped. We usually send a load or two of cattle across a couple of state lines every week in a pickup without a DOT number and have only ever been pulled over one time and that was with a trailer that was over 40 foot long.

True Grit Farms":vk2irgkc said:
Dave":vk2irgkc said:

Our DOT number was $75.00 every two years. And I didn't like having the DOT officers out to the farm to check the truck and trailer for compliance. Also having to keep logs and yearly medical checkups was BS. I can do anything I want now, I just can't profit off the haul. Plus my truck insurance is about a third of what it was when I had my DOT numbers.

We haul our own grain but cross state lines so have to have one. It was free, never had anyone out to inspect anything. Did have to get a medical exam, but according to the card on my wallet it expired 12 years ago. For us it's just been a formality. The OK DOT were the ones that made us get one.

HDRider, are you getting paid to haul the cattle? Is this your own cattle from ranch to ranch? What is the truck/trailer, list the GVWR and GCVWR and home state. Short answer, if hauling for hire and grossing over 10k lbs crossing state lines, Yes. There is an exemption in most states to cover the rancher/farmer. It will not apply to a for hire operation.

True Grit Farms":3m30a5vt said:
You might need one but your way better off not having one a just pay the fine. If your raising the cows to eat as personal property you don't need a DOT number. I been through this with my fishing boat and finally got it worked out, for now. It's just a fishing boat, not a commercial fishing boat. My advice is to look for the loopholes.

The problem with this line of thought is the possibility of lawsuits, something our society loves. Just one fender bender and you can lose it all. This is a good topic to be explored as it deals with our business or hobby business. I personally keep my trucks/trailers under Texas limits, but I do not cross state lines.....thats a game changer.

Latest posts