Distressed Buyers due to the Epidemic

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve said:
1) US government pumps massive amounts of money into the system to prop up asset prices and get themselves reelected. Sometimes called the Fed put.

2) Investors bid up asset prices because they think there is little downside. Sometimes called momentum trading.

3) Doomsters write books and buy gold, pointing out this can not last, forever.

4) Smart money accesses the amount of risk they can handle and then develops an investment portfolio. Classic mix is a lot of real estate and stocks, along with a little cash and gold.

5) World comes to an end. Nuclear annihilation is not popular anymore, but epidemics are on the increase. :(

The doomsters are right, but the hard part is when?

While ever all govts keep kicking the can down the road, you have to be in it, otherwise your losing even more so.

At the prices you guys are quoting send them here. I will sell farms including cattle, tractors and all equipment including truck and cattle trailer.

Once you get past all the news on testing and vaccination and free money - - there are a lot of attitudes that are a changing.

One of my Grandfathers moved back to a MN farm after he lost his job in Chicago during the 30s. He was mentally scared by the experience, and would pontificate on how the next crash is coming. He did not live to see it.

I know every one loves to rag on the younger generations but there are some 80s born kids knocking down some pretty good money right now. If they got their butts to work, invested aggressively in their 401K, lived with in their means, they have accumulated some wealth by now. They are in their 30s, have had time to pay their dues, there is a good chance they have moved up as some have retired. The income jumps plus the healthy 401ks have made them ready to jump out and purchase some of these properties.

To some one in their 70s they see the current market as the highest maybe in their life. To some one in their 30s they see the current market as an opportunity to buy low... both are probably right.

Not sure where all these good jobs are. High unemployment even among those wanting to work here. Labor jobs are cheap. $8 an hour for common labor to $15 an hour if you can cut timber and run machines. But wait, now the paper mill had closed so many of those are out of work too. I bought hayland/pastureland with a barn last fall for $1100 an acre. No big prices except for some the Amish are moving in and buying.

I know pay in certain parts of the country is better, but as KT says around here jobs are hard to come by as much pay even harder.

I had guys that I worked with from Tennessee and places and they made comments about how low the pay scale was and if you didnt work in one of the few factories or what ever there wasnt much to do. They said there wasnt much of a "middle class". They made comments jokingly about living like God's there with their WTX oilfield pay.

$15 an hour to drive tractors. Mowing gets $50. Any kind of pressure washing, tree trimming, flour beds, etc depending on how much equipment can get $30-50.

It's not hard to break 100K in old field related stuff.

Plumbere, electricians, water well people stay hooked up here.

You have quite a few different plant operations in Texas.

That's not counting going to Houston, SA, Dallas etc and doing blue or white collar work. They both fetch quite a few green backs.

I left my 6 figure gauging company at 26 to go to work for an o&g company. I took a slight pay cut initially but was back up in a year and did pretty darn good up until last December. Then I took a big pay cut basically starting over again. I have no doubt I'll have the monthly revenue to go 6 figures again, if I choose to work that hard, by the end of the year. It was slow out the gate but I'm covered up now and I'm starting to sift thru the better paying work. Good work ethic, hustle, smile, yes sir yes mam, I guess the right area... and you have to sell yourself. You cant sit around waiting for raises and opportunities. You have to be pitching and asking and putting yourself put there. My motto is it never hurts to ask... all they can say is no.

Latest posts