Discbine Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

Atimm693

Reaction score
Hoping to get rid of this POS Vermeer 840.

Need something with some kind of shock hub, a modular cutter bar, and roll conditioners. 10 or 12 foot.

We do a lot of rough, rocky ground. The Vermeer does not have any sort of shear point, it breaks the lower gears in the cutter bar all to hell if you hit something. And since it's not modular, the whole damn thing has to come apart to repair. It has been repaired several times under warranty but that's all done with now. Currently sitting in front of the shop in pieces.

Any difference between rubber and steel rolls?

Saw a good looking NH 1431 that would fit the bill. Any experience with that model?

I cannot vouch for their Discbines but Krones disc mowers are tough. They have a simple roll pin/shear pin system that prevents damage to the cutter bar and is easy to repair.

hillbilly beef man said:
I cannot vouch for their Discbines but Krones disc mowers are tough. They have a simple roll pin/shear pin system that prevents damage to the cutter bar and is easy to repair.

Have thought about them but there aren't many on the used market and dealer support is not really good in this area.

My experience is with JD and NH. Currently have a NH 313 and have cut about 5000 acres with it with zero issues. Previously had a JD 956 and ran it pretty well to destruction. It had flail conditioners which I really liked, the NH has rubber rolls. Both machines used shear hubs, but even though we have rocks I've only ever changed one. Lucky I guess.

When I read the title, I was going to suggest a Vermeer unit. Then I opened the thread and read it!

I've still got an old RC7120 Vermeer unit that's a good 20 years old and has never had the cutterbar apart, though I replaced the rubber rolls with steel ones about 15 years ago. I've put new skid shoes and rock guards on it, but otherwise it's been trouble free.

Picked up a like new MC840 this spring, only has one summer on it in my hands but I'm tickled with it so far.

My father has a NH 1412, bought used with some acreage on it. I've only ran it a handful of times but it seems built a lot lighter than the Vermeer units and pulls a whole lot easier for a comparable size to my 840. I was actually considering a NH 7330 when the 840 became available this spring.

Two with rocks and without shear hub tips:

- Double check the angle on your cutter bar. A very slight up angle many help.
- Look at rock skid shoes (which are built up a couple inches). They will reduce problems greatly. I have them on my NI 5209.

cfpinz said:
When I read the title, I was going to suggest a Vermeer unit. Then I opened the thread and read it!

I've still got an old RC7120 Vermeer unit that's a good 20 years old and has never had the cutterbar apart, though I replaced the rubber rolls with steel ones about 15 years ago. I've put new skid shoes and rock guards on it, but otherwise it's been trouble free.

Picked up a like new MC840 this spring, only has one summer on it in my hands but I'm tickled with it so far.

My father has a NH 1412, bought used with some acreage on it. I've only ran it a handful of times but it seems built a lot lighter than the Vermeer units and pulls a whole lot easier for a comparable size to my 840. I was actually considering a NH 7330 when the 840 became available this spring.

Keep a couple upper gears in stock. Most of the time we get lucky and only break a tooth off of those. They only take 10 minutes to change, it's when the lower gears break that you have to take the cutterbar apart.

It does have the thicker skid shoes installed.

The 840 is a fine machine, just wish they would've put some kind of shear protection in it.

Run a new Holland 313 it's tough I put it threw it's paces. Can't say as it I'd recommend it tho.

What ground speed are you running with the 840?

The 840 is a vast improvement over the 7120 in terms of header floatation and right-hand turns, but like you I wish they had some type of shear hub protection. Off the top of my head, I think the newer series (MC3300, etc.) does have shear hubs. The new hydraulic suspension scares me a bit, though.

cfpinz said:
What ground speed are you running with the 840?

The 840 is a vast improvement over the 7120 in terms of header floatation and right-hand turns, but like you I wish they had some type of shear hub protection. Off the top of my head, I think the newer series (MC3300, etc.) does have shear hubs. The new hydraulic suspension scares me a bit, though.

4-5mph. Too rough to go any faster.

We demoed one of those newer mowers. Was a nice machine but I also thought it was a bit over complicated, with the nitrogen/hydraulic shock setup.

Atimm693 said:

We demoed one of those newer mowers. Was a nice machine but I also thought it was a bit over complicated, with the nitrogen/hydraulic shock setup.

I usually run 5-6mph on good fields, that's plenty fast for me. You wouldn't happen to be from SW MO, would you? The way you talk, it reminds me of dun's place.

Those new mowers are just such a departure from what I'm used to seeing. Might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I really like the older frame/suspension design as it's been proven.

cfpinz said:
Atimm693 said:

I usually run 5-6mph on good fields, that's plenty fast for me. You wouldn't happen to be from SW MO, would you? The way you talk, it reminds me of dun's place.

Those new mowers are just such a departure from what I'm used to seeing. Might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I really like the older frame/suspension design as it's been proven.

Yeah, St. Clair county. Right on the line between the Ozarks and plain country.

Latest posts