Diesel vs. Gas

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":t0xm0msp said:
john250":t0xm0msp said:
If you pull all day every day you need something like the single axle road tractors.

Most logical statement so far. I bought a '98 Intl 8100 SA last year with a newly out-of-framed M11 Cummins and a 9spd. 30 rolls of hay at a time on a 42' dropdeck, plenty of go and more than enough whoa - the most important part. It doesn't have the flashy chrome wheels or the King Ranch interior, but it sure pulls good and gets better loaded mileage than my Powerstroke. Best part is, it only set me back 3 grand.

truck002.jpg

I did splurge on the trailer, though. Still got less than 7k in the pair.
The 2nd smartest thing CF ever did was buy that truck and trailer

Angus Cowman":2rcugdbf said:

I think it's the third smartest. First was getting his wife drunk enough that she would marry him and second was marrying her before she sobered up

dun":yl0tnfsa said:
Angus Cowman":yl0tnfsa said:

I think it's the third smartest. First was getting his wife drunk enough that she would marry him and second was marrying her before she sobered up
well I guess you are correct Dun I was lumping those two together as 1
I am still not sure he got her drunk I think he might just be paying her to act as his wife in public that is why he can't afford anything to drive besides them ol wore out fords, either that or he has something really bad on her and he is blackmailing her

Angus Cowman":2xu55gql said:
well I guess you are correct Dun I was lumping those two together as 1
I am still not sure he got her drunk I think he might just be paying her to act as his wife in public that is why he can't afford anything to drive besides them ol wore out fords, either that or he has something really bad on her and he is blackmailing her

You got it, wanna see the pictures?

cfpinz":2pc52kua said:
john250":2pc52kua said:
If you pull all day every day you need something like the single axle road tractors.

Most logical statement so far. I bought a '98 Intl 8100 SA last year with a newly out-of-framed M11 Cummins and a 9spd. 30 rolls of hay at a time on a 42' dropdeck, plenty of go and more than enough whoa - the most important part. It doesn't have the flashy chrome wheels or the King Ranch interior, but it sure pulls good and gets better loaded mileage than my Powerstroke. Best part is, it only set me back 3 grand.

truck002.jpg

I did splurge on the trailer, though. Still got less than 7k in the pair.

Did you have to file the VIN number off or was that already done before you stole that truck? 7K for the pair that is one awesome deal! More pulling and stopping power than any diesel ford, chevy, or dodge.

killingtime":35y4p2dd said:
I have heard rumors that the ford scorpion diesel will be a $10000-12,000 dollar option. I love a diesel, better mileage and better towing, but soon you'll have to take out a second mortgage to buy one. I bleed Ford Blue but with the price of the scorpion the sticker prices on a new ford will be in $60,000 plus range. And that is crazy!! Part of the cost is due to engineering so these engines can meet the new federal regualtions that go into effect this coming year. The V-10 in the Fords tows real good, a buddy of mine had one, only problem is it passes everything but the service station.
dont surprize me,we ordered a crate duramax eng.. that was over 11k our cost

cfpinz":1affw7f2 said:
papavillars":1affw7f2 said:
I had a 99 f250 w/ a 7.3, unfortunately it was stolen last june. It was completely stripped, motor and tranny. I also have a chey duramax and it only has 75,000 on it . Any feed back on these.

Yeah, you can leave the keys in the Chevy and nobody will steal it!
That sucks about your Ford.
that was true 10-12 years ago.... not any more

For a good pulling gas rig, it's gotta be big! I've got an '02 Chevy Dually with the 8.1 and the Allison 5 speed. Totally awesome. Except on gas! I pull a 24' gooseneck cattle trailer fully loaded in hilly Ozark terrain with ease. Just don't expect to get over 10 mpg. I traded a diesel Chevy in on it and don't miss the smell, the spilled fuel on me at fill up time, or the smoke. I do miss being able to stand on the accelerator and spewing smoke all over an irritating Harley rider in the right lane, though! The only smoke now, is if I pull out in traffic too quick and it lights up the duals!

makemfat":2u5y5cka said:
For a good pulling gas rig, it's gotta be big! I've got an '02 Chevy Dually with the 8.1 and the Allison 5 speed. Totally awesome. Except on gas! I pull a 24' gooseneck cattle trailer fully loaded in hilly Ozark terrain with ease. Just don't expect to get over 10 mpg. I traded a diesel Chevy in on it and don't miss the smell, the spilled fuel on me at fill up time, or the smoke. I do miss being able to stand on the accelerator and spewing smoke all over an irritating Harley rider in the right lane, though! The only smoke now, is if I pull out in traffic too quick and it lights up the duals!
hope you like the color,

Unless you are running around 100k a year and pulling loads, how does the diesel benifit you $ wise? then you have to figure in the Pm cost and fuel cost. I come from a hotshot trucking background and I just dont see it unless you are running high miles and pulling heavy loads everyday. By heavy I mean over 15k. Really how do you justify the diesel upgrade cost,fuel cost,repair cost over a gasser. If you are only keeping the truck for 200k miles and trading off, you lost money over a gas truck. A small block gasser Ford,Chevy,Dodge will pull the part time loads just fine and save some $ at the end of the trucks life when you trade it off. As far as keeping one for 10 yrs plus I am a gas guy. Cheaper to repair,replace. Diesel pickups are more of a "status in life" than anything else these days.

Latest posts