Diesel vs. Gas

Help Support CattleToday:

F350":1k3v2eiw said:
This is a very timely thread....

I've been pulling my hair out trying to replace my 1995 w/ a 7.3 that has 400k on it. I also blled blue, but I as much as I've tried to talk myself into buying an 06' model, the feeling in the pit of my stomach is NO. The 6.4 is a marginally better engine, but the fuel mileage sucks. We have four of them at my job.

I've read-up on the new Ford 6.7 Scorpion....I almost fell out of my freeking chair. The Scorpion will have....

Diesel particulate filter
EGR system
UREA tank (that has to be refilled at regular intervals)
Two cooling systems w/ two water pumps

Wait a few months then delete the DPF and EGR off. the urea tank will not be able to be deleted. i bought an 09 cummins 6.7. after 9000 miles on it, it had been into the shop 4 times for dpf and egr problems. i did the a dpf and egr delete and put a smarty tuner on the truck and it has yet to got back to the shop with 26000 miles on it now.

F350":aqi2ll47 said:

I've been pulling my hair out trying to replace my 1995 w/ a 7.3 that has 400k on it. I also blled blue, but I as much as I've tried to talk myself into buying an 06' model, the feeling in the pit of my stomach is NO. The 6.4 is a marginally better engine, but the fuel mileage sucks. We have four of them at my job.

I've read-up on the new Ford 6.7 Scorpion....I almost fell out of my freeking chair. The Scorpion will have....

EGR system
As if it isn't bad enough that we have to buy fertilizer for our crops, now we're going to have to buy it for our vehicles! What's the point of having two cooling systems though?

RobinFarmandRanch":xnhemwyb said:
F350":xnhemwyb said:

EGR system

Wait a few months then delete the DPF and EGR off. the urea tank will not be able to be deleted. i bought an 09 cummins 6.7. after 9000 miles on it, it had been into the shop 4 times for dpf and egr problems. i did the a dpf and egr delete and put a smarty tuner on the truck and it has yet to got back to the shop with 26000 miles on it now.

I don't think I would delete the DPF or the EGR unless you want to void the warranty. I've done things like that in the past and then tried to install everything back before you take it to the dealer, when you have a problem. It's a pain in the butt and it's espesically difficult to do if your out of state. I'm not doing a thing to my new ford until it's out of warranty, call me a sucker, but I'm not chancing it.

killingtime":27x3ei32 said:
RobinFarmandRanch":27x3ei32 said:
F350":27x3ei32 said:

EGR system

I don't think I would delete the DPF or the EGR unless you want to void the warranty. I've done things like that in the past and then tried to install everything back before you take it to the dealer, when you have a problem. It's a pain in the butt and it's espesically difficult to do if your out of state. I'm not doing a thing to my new ford until it's out of warranty, call me a sucker, but I'm not chancing it.

yeah i thought about the warranty too. but the shop that does the work on my truck is mod friendly. as long as they can pull the records and show that the aftermarket work done to the truck did not cause the problem, whatever is broke can be warrantied. If you really read the warranty stuff that comes with the truck when you buy it you would realize that any number of things can void your warranty. Like having the oil changed at a non (Chrysler, Ford, or GM) shop will void the warranty. Or pulling any load that your truck will need over 90% of the power generated to get it rolling.

within 9000 miles of buying my truck, it was in the shop 4 times for EGR or DPF problems, with the last straw being that the DPF tanks under the truck caught one of my pastures on fire ( luckily i got the truck moved before it burned up too). after the deletes i have put over 15000 miles with no trips to the shop yet. sorry for the rant im just stating my experiences with these emission regulated diesels.

F350":u5rxfbdl said:
Here's the info on the new Ford 6.7 Scorpion... two waterpumps and all. :help:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/fi ... ngine.html

I would't touch one of those things for at least the first 3 years of production.

One thing that caught my eye was the exhaust leaving the heads on the galley side - that's a lot of heat with very little breathing room.

dun":91sh76ak said:
You owuld love the pimpmobile. 2000 super duty with 78k miles.

I'd love that truck for the wife, but it probably smells like a forest fire inside!

I've got a 97 F350 7.3 that I bought 12 years ago yesterday. Around 70k miles and still has the original batteries!

cfpinz":3lsozj8o said:
dun":3lsozj8o said:

I'd love that truck for the wife, but it probably smells like a forest fire inside!

I've got a 97 F350 7.3 that I bought 12 years ago yesterday. Around 70k miles and still has the original batteries!
It covers up the cow flop smell

dun":3hrof4qz said:
cfpinz":3hrof4qz said:
dun":3hrof4qz said:

It covers up the cow flop smell

Cow flop smells like money. Now that damm goat "perfuma" you're always raving about is another story!

cfpinz":2nmjocon said:
Cow flop smells like money. Now that damm goat "perfuma" you're always raving about is another story!
You jsut don;t have a taste for the better things in life!
The pimpmobile still has the original batterys too but when the temps are in the single digits they can;t crank it fast enough to start it

I had a 99 f250 w/ a 7.3, unfortunately it was stolen last june. It was completely stripped, motor and tranny. I also have a chey duramax and it only has 75,000 on it . Any feed back on these.

papavillars":1cs7wnow said:
I had a 99 f250 w/ a 7.3, unfortunately it was stolen last june. It was completely stripped, motor and tranny. I also have a chey duramax and it only has 75,000 on it . Any feed back on these.

Yeah, you can leave the keys in the Chevy and nobody will steal it!

That sucks about your Ford.

F350":2rs7dhm6 said:

Wow. As if I needed another reason to run away from a non 7.3 Ford as fast as i could. That thing looks SCARY expensive to maintain. I love my 5.9 Cummins. I just wish it could be in a different body :D I am in the process of getting a gas burner half ton farm truck to run around in and drive to work. That way my Dodge will stay nice for a long time. Ill only have to use it to haul stuff.

Ford V-10.
Unless you pull all day, every day, you will be pleased with this motor. I have a 100,000 on mine with one repair to some vacuum lines. 12mpg with gas which is $.30 cheaper than diesel around here. Oil change is 7 qts and a $5 filter.
It is a good strong motor and reliable and it doesn't sound like it's about to puke its guts like so many of the diesels I hear on the road.
If you pull all day every day you need something like the single axle road tractors.

My father raised watermelon in the fifties. We shipped a lot of melons. A lot of the truckers were from Oklahoma, and Iowa. Most were driving gas rigs with the most being Internationals, I cannot remember the series but I think some were a R180.Also nearly all of the farm tractors were gasoline. Have to remember gasoline was 11 cents a gallon. What was diesel used for at that time, you will have diesel when you process a barrel of oil for gasoline. I remember one trucker that bought the first GMC diesels, they were real screamers. When we had 11 cent gas we also had $50 a head calves. Commercial fertilizer also was just coming into its own.

ryan_289":183p9x0r said:
F350":183p9x0r said:

Wow. As if I needed another reason to run away from a non 7.3 Ford as fast as i could. That thing looks SCARY expensive to maintain. I love my 5.9 Cummins. I just wish it could be in a different body :D I am in the process of getting a gas burner half ton farm truck to run around in and drive to work. That way my Dodge will stay nice for a long time. Ill only have to use it to haul stuff.

What kind of mileage are you getting with your Cummins?

Bear

john250":3q3d4kcd said:
If you pull all day every day you need something like the single axle road tractors.

Most logical statement so far. I bought a '98 Intl 8100 SA last year with a newly out-of-framed M11 Cummins and a 9spd. 30 rolls of hay at a time on a 42' dropdeck, plenty of go and more than enough whoa - the most important part. It doesn't have the flashy chrome wheels or the King Ranch interior, but it sure pulls good and gets better loaded mileage than my Powerstroke. Best part is, it only set me back 3 grand.

truck002.jpg

I did splurge on the trailer, though. Still got less than 7k in the pair.

bear":2l2mxb7u said:
What kind of mileage are you getting with your Cummins?

Bear

Mine is an 02 Dodge 2500 24 valve 5.9 Cummins. No modifications at all. If im gentle with it I can get 18-19 on the highway. Most of the time around town I get about 15. Pulling a load 10-14 depending on how heavy.

cfpinz":sh538vli said:
F350":sh538vli said:

I would't touch one of those things for at least the first 3 years of production.

One thing that caught my eye was the exhaust leaving the heads on the galley side - that's a lot of heat with very little breathing room.

I agree with cfpinz on this in that I wouldn't touch that motor for a few years after it comes out. One thing I saw was aluminum heads and I've only ever had bad experiences with aluminum heads. Time will tell if it will hold up or not so I'll wait and let other people spend their money to see how well it does. If its like the 6.4 i want nothing to do with it, if it's like the 7.3 or better I want everything to do with it.

Latest posts