diesel or gas ?

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch":nobhies1 said:
I dont get how the length of the trailer determines the size of the truck to pull it.Spent many yrs pulling 40' trailer on 1 ton duallies Dodge and Ford hauling commercial loads, went into scales in alot of states with no issues. Down here you will see several hotshot rigs hauling 15-16k up and down the road all the time.The 1/2 tons today have far more rated capacity towing and cargo than trucks built 10 yrs prior.
you just answered your question why have a 40ft trailer when it is only half loaded if you are using it to haul hay or cows
a 24ft gooseneck will haul 10-12 1200lb cows comfortably a forty ft trailer will weigh alot more and you can haul less the load because of the extra weight of the trailer and even if you can haul the same amount your pulling around a 1/2 empty trailer

same with flatbeds if you can only legally haul 16k when hauling hay why do you need a 30-40ft trailer
when you can haul that amount with a 24ft just as easily
most guys OVERLOAD 1 ton trucks with big trailers and big loads
I am as guilty as the next guy if trailer has room for it load it
if you can't haul a full load then you DON'T need a trailer that big plus I would rather back the semi or a single axle semi under a 48 or 52ft trailer and haul full load

Angus Cowman":1gvw1per said:
saltbranch":1gvw1per said:
I dont get how the length of the trailer determines the size of the truck to pull it.Spent many yrs pulling 40' trailer on 1 ton duallies Dodge and Ford hauling commercial loads, went into scales in alot of states with no issues. Down here you will see several hotshot rigs hauling 15-16k up and down the road all the time.The 1/2 tons today have far more rated capacity towing and cargo than trucks built 10 yrs prior.
you just answered your question why have a 40ft trailer when it is only half loaded if you are using it to haul hay or cows
a 24ft gooseneck will haul 10-12 1200lb cows comfortably a forty ft trailer will weigh alot more and you can haul less the load because of the extra weight of the trailer and even if you can haul the same amount your pulling around a 1/2 empty trailer

same with flatbeds if you can only legally haul 16k when hauling hay why do you need a 30-40ft trailer
when you can haul that amount with a 24ft just as easily
most guys OVERLOAD 1 ton trucks with big trailers and big loads
I am as guilty as the next guy if trailer has room for it load it
if you can't haul a full load then you DON'T need a trailer that big plus I would rather back the semi or a single axle semi under a 48 or 52ft trailer and haul full load
Ok gotcha now and do agreee. Thats why I sold my last 40' G/N, for what I am doing now just to much trailer and to much $$ to let sit and go to waste

I'd get u a Chevy Z71... I've seen a feller pull his 32 foot trailer loaded down with momma cows, then hook on to a tandem dual trailer and load it with round bales... They are good trucks...

deenranch":2okci699 said:
I'd get u a Chevy Z71... I've seen a feller pull his 32 foot trailer loaded down with momma cows, then hook on to a tandem dual trailer and load it with round bales... They are good trucks...

Thats what i bought and i love it. I can drive around the place and not worry about getting stuck. Haven't decided yet whether i want to put a 5th wheel hookup in it or use my old Dodge 1 T to pull trailers with. If i use the new one for pulling , i can sell the old one. Can't make up my feeble mind.

If your not pulling big loads get a gas engine. If you are get a diesel. They run cooler and pull better at low rpms. I wouldn't use any of the newer 1/2 tons with there computer controlled transmissions to pull anything over 6 or 7 thousand pounds and thats pushing it. I have a diesel but it gets used pretty hard during hay season. If you ride around empty most the time I see no reason to buy a diesel.

My :2cents: I'd drive my diesel every day if I could afford to. So I only drive it when I need to. It's more fuel efficient than my Jeep. I never have to worry about hauling a load uphill/over mountains with it -- she'll pull it, at highway speed. The diesel engine will last many years longer than a gas engine. I bought mine new, with an extended warranty, and I still have a lot of miles left on warranty. Dodge. For what I need a truck for, that diesel is perfect. If I could only have one rig as my daily driver . . . . . not sure what I'd do diesel vs. gas.

Latest posts