Headgate or squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I have an old squeeze that is too short to shut the back gate on with a cow of some size in it, I've been seeing some used Prieferts for $2000-$2500, also seen some priefert head gates with the stand for around $750 that I could mount right to the front of my alleyway. I will probably only have 10 mamas here at most and usually a few more than that of feeders and calves, question is, is it worth the extra to get a squeeze vs. just the head gate. My cows are gentle and easy to work with, and I only run them through maybe twice a year if that. Calves and feeders are what I handle the most through the chute.

A squeeze is priceless when you need it. It makes working small calves much easier when its narrowed down or when a cow get rambunctious. A side exit is also needed but you can build that into your alley way. Its a small investment in the long run. Pour a slab for it to sit on and put a simple roof over it and you will wish you had done it years before.

I have an old squeeze that is too short to shut the back gate on with a cow of some size in it, I've been seeing some used Prieferts for $2000-$2500, also seen some priefert head gates with the stand for around $750 that I could mount right to the front of my alleyway. I will probably only have 10 mamas here at most and usually a few more than that of feeders and calves, question is, is it worth the extra to get a squeeze vs. just the head gate. My cows are gentle and easy to work with, and I only run them through maybe twice a year if that. Calves and feeders are what I handle the most through the chute.
For only a few cows it's hard to justify the expense of a squeeze. I've never had one with quite a few more cattle than you are running. You just adapt and use what you have available.

And with that in mind, why not put a gate in back of your existing squeeze so it works for you? Do you weld? Cut the existing squeeze in half and put a splice in it to make it longer.

I got by with a head gate on a wood alley for years. It worked. But when I got a squeeze chute I found it worked a lot better.

How well do used chutes sell in your area? You might be able to sell your short chute and replace it with not a lot of difference in price.

If it's one or the other, I'd go with a squeeze. You can generally work cows (especially docile) in just an alley or headgate, but a squeeze chute is soooo much easier to work calves & feeders. Or look at it this way: how much is your safety worth? And that of the cattle?

How well do used chutes sell in your area? You might be able to sell your short chute and replace it with not a lot of difference in price.
That's what I planned to do, sell mine and add $1,000-$1,500 to buy a better used one.
And with that in mind, why not put a gate in back of your existing squeeze so it works for you? Do you weld? Cut the existing squeeze in half and put a splice in it to make it longer.
Thought about just extending the back, not a big deal if a foot or so of cow isn't squeezed, figure by the time I do all of that , I could sell mine and pay some difference and end up with much better squeeze.The one I have is ancient and not the easiest to work.

The squeeze is more useful to me than the headgate. If the cows are gentle you may not even have to catch their heads.

I have been very happy with our SO4.
That's my other thought on a squeeze they actually fit in, my cows are gentle and it's usually just me handling them so it's easier just to leave the head gate shut and push them into chute and just squeeze them instead of locking in head gate unless they got rowdy.

That's what I planned to do, sell mine and add $1,000-$1,500 to buy a better used one.

Thought about just extending the back, not a big deal if a foot or so of cow isn't squeezed, figure by the time I do all of that , I could sell mine and pay some difference and end up with much better squeeze.The one I have is ancient and not the easiest to work.
I bought a new to me new one and have my old one I'd sell. The wooden panels in it should be repalced and it needs a good greasing but it works fine if you're interested PM me.

Got rid of my head gate years ago and replaced with a Powder River squeeze chute and never looked back. Sure makes it easier when it comes time to cut calves, just drop the panel, reach in and do your business, done. Never used the side exit and really don't know why it would be used unless you get something in it that needs to be let go.

I have only used a headgate with my cows/calves. I built a wood alley going to it with a side exit. depending on what I am doing, often times I just shut the catch gate and let cows stand in alleyway for most stuff without a problem. calves are easy enough to catch and do vaccinations and whatever. no problem with them turning around in the alleyway. On the rare occasion when I think a squeeze chute is needed, I will load her up in the trailer and take a 15 minute drive to the vet office.

Never used the side exit and really don't know why it would be used unless you get something in it that needs to be let go.
If you have a cow sit down and get wedged in the bottom, you will know why you have/need a side exit. Or worse get one upside down. Sh** happens.

If you have a cow sit down and get wedged in the bottom, you will know why you have/need a side exit. Or worse get one upside down. Sh** happens.
Same thing can happen in a wood alley with a head gate. At that point there is no side gate and the only option is to start cutting boards. Maybe posts too. I have only had to use my side gate 3 times. But on those occasions I was sure glad to have one.

Same thing can happen in a wood alley with a head gate. At that point there is no side gate and the only option is to start cutting boards. Maybe posts too. I have only had to use my side gate 3 times. But on those occasions I was sure glad to have one.
I've always placed a side gate in the wooden chute adjoining the headgate.

The worst accident I've had was a big (900#) heifer that reared up and flipped herself over the top of the chute rather than putting her head through the headgate. There were two posts, one with the headgate attached and the other post four inches from the headgate post with the chute lumber attached... and the damn heifer's front foot got caught in between the two posts as she came down outside the alley. I got the tractor bucket under her and lifted her up until the hoof came above the slot she had been trapped in... but the damage was done. Her shoulder blade had been twisted from front to back and she was crippled. We were AIing twenty heifers that had been synchronized at the time, so I wasn't too happy about it.

Yep, I had a cow get upside in the chute. Luckily, it was portable panels so we unpinned one and let her roll out the side. If it was permanent pens it would have been a mess.

I've had to dump several cows and a big steer out out the side of our priefert squeeze.

That's the bad thing about having just a head gate. I have a buddy that is bad about not squeezing when he catches them. I always forget to get on his azz until we get a couple try to lay down then it reminds me.

I keep the bottom pretty narrow. I will start to squeeze the chute before I even open the headgate. When I get cows that don't want to go through the headgate I use the squeeze to bump on them and it will make them go a lot of time. It's one motion for me, I catch with my left hand and squeeze with the right at the same time. My buddy wants to squeeze with his right hand or both and in just the little time to then switch over to grab the squeeze, they will be going down already.

Ha, I have that to look forward to. Had a calf get UNDER a picnic table and pushed into a tank (pond). Sure was glad it was a dry season and little water in the tank. Stupid cows.

Latest posts