Cattle chute neck bar ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
Anyone built their own neck bars or head restraints? I've got an old Filson chute(similar to W-W), hopefully I can upgrade it if calf prices hold decent. But hoping to get few more years out of it. Factory these came with a nose bar that is a great way to get your teeth knocked out. Filson shows an aftermarket option I'm talking to them about, but looks a bit light weight. I'd love opinions if anyone's seen the Filson one in person. Pic of their option, mine will go on full chute not head gate.

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 17
I've never been around the mechanical restraints, was always satisfied with the rope halter as well.
I know we took the neck extenders off both Hi Hogs because they are known to extend necks a little far.

Apparently gentle cattle aren't really an issue but "active" cows will break a neck occasionally.

I know we took the neck extenders off both Hi Hogs because they are known to extend necks a little far.

Apparently gentle cattle aren't really an issue but "active" cows will break a neck occasionally.
Never heard of any kind of injury issues with them. By most standards here my cows are tame. I use a halter most times but often need to hold the head for ear tags, doctoring eyes etc. major things like dehorning would still need halter, I realize neck bars don't hold them perfectly still. few cows that love to throw the head and if you lean in the strike zone, she will knock you for a loop. I would think a halter would cause more issues since we have to crank them around to side of the chute, compared to something that holds them almost straight.

Q Catch is what I'm considering once I can afford one, or at least want to spend it on that. How do you like it?
I really like the headgate. I don't have the chute. I find it's a lot less work than any of the auto catches I've used. You just need to really commit to opening them all the way quickly when you do or you'll have an animal caught by the hips you can't get rid of.

Last edited:
I really like the headgate. I don't have the chute. I find it's a lot less work than any of the auto catches I've used. You just need to really commit to opening them all the way quickly when you do or you'll have an animal caught by the hips you can't get rid of.
I really prefer my auto(one that swings in and out, not scissor style). Personal preference but I do not like scissor styles. A lot of newer chutes are going to the controls that can be moved to the rear which looks really nice. I doctor stuff a lot by myself. It's hard to punch them in headgate and catch them from front side.

I really prefer my auto(one that swings in and out, not scissor style). Personal preference but I do not like scissor styles. A lot of newer chutes are going to the controls that can be moved to the rear which looks really nice. I doctor stuff a lot by myself. It's hard to punch them in headgate and catch them from front side.
I wouldn't call the q-catch a scissor style. As far as I know it's the only chute of that style. The two sides stay parallel to each other.
I find the cattle step into them far nicer than the auto gates, and they are so quiet it's like a day off.
I used to get pretty tired after a few hundred through the auto head gates, I find I'm still feeling pretty good by the time the day is over with this one.

I wouldn't call the q-catch a scissor style. As far as I know it's the only chute of that style. The two sides stay parallel to each other.
I find the cattle step into them far nicer than the auto gates, and they are so quiet it's like a day off.
I used to get pretty tired after a few hundred through the auto head gates, I find I'm still feeling pretty good by the time the day is over with this one.
Well I only have 35 momma cows anyway. So not like I run that many. Plan has always been to cover my chute area before buying a nicer one. But we will see. I have same thing on a new cattle trailer, want a new hay barn with storage shed off it before I buy new one. So lots of wants, small checkbook.

Something easy and cheap is a piece of chain welded or bolted to the frame on the far side and a piece of steel with a notch cut into it welded on the frame on the near side. Just reach under or use a hook to bring it up under the neck and hook it into the notch. It is not that difficult to get undone under pressure if they go down.

Ken

I prefer nosers to a halter I have more control over the spooky ones.
I have a regular head table that we use to dehorn and ring bulls.
The vet that I worked for had a calf break its neck with a nose bar and refused to use one after that.

Well I only have 35 momma cows anyway. So not like I run that many. Plan has always been to cover my chute area before buying a nicer one. But we will see. I have same thing on a new cattle trailer, want a new hay barn with storage shed off it before I buy new one. So lots of wants, small checkbook.
Ya, I have long list of wants as well. Priced out water well rates the other day, at $80 per foot that's not going to happen soon. And I have a feeling that by the time I can afford $80 they will want $120.

Ya, I have long list of wants as well. Priced out water well rates the other day, at $80 per foot that's not going to happen soon. And I have a feeling that by the time I can afford $80 they will want $120.
I hear that. Stock trailer I wanted was $10g before covid. Now it's 15-17.
I upgraded my whole system to Arrowquip after being flung around like a rag doll while trying to get a weaning nose ring on a bull calf. Q Catch head restraint works like a charm.
Is the Q catch restraint adaptable to another chute?

You could modify your chute with a couple small weldments and use a chain like on a Priefert. Pretty simple design that is safe. Pickup on the attached video at about 15:30 to see how it works.

We have a For-Most 450 with the head table, it's a bit cumbersome but works well for working on eyes, horns, etc. Attaches with a couple pins on either side and could easily be added to your chute if you like.

Latest posts