Dies after falling into round hay baler today...................

Help Support CattleToday:

The farmer that I first worked for in Ct after I got divorced was a fanatic about safety. NEVER EVER GET OFF THE TRACTOR WITH THE PTO RUNNING. To this day I still won't. Scares me to death. And I try to be around when my son is working on equipment so that if anything were to happen, maybe something could be done to stop a disaster.
Knew a dairyman whose hired guy reached into the mixer with a broom to push the feed off the sides and it caught, got him caught, slipped or something, and he lost his legs....

So sorry for the grandson. And a lesson to us all that as we get older we do not react or move as quick either, so working safer is even MORE important.

sstterry":3irghyg9 said:
skyhightree1":3irghyg9 said:
jehosofat":3irghyg9 said:
Man, I feel the worst for his poor grandson. It'll take a while for that young man to get over that.

I would venture to say he will never get over it but learn to deal with it that will always forever be in his head especially when seeing a baler.
My son was with his grandfather last June when he got run over by a tractor (tractor jumped out of gear). Son pulled him out of the way just enough that it didn't kill him instantly, but he died a week later. He doesn't want to talk about it, but I have offered to get him counseling. I may still do it if I can get him to go.

Oh man, that is terrible, how old is your son?

jehosofat":ln0zrw18 said:
sstterry":ln0zrw18 said:
skyhightree1":ln0zrw18 said:
I would venture to say he will never get over it but learn to deal with it that will always forever be in his head especially when seeing a baler.
My son was with his grandfather last June when he got run over by a tractor (tractor jumped out of gear). Son pulled him out of the way just enough that it didn't kill him instantly, but he died a week later. He doesn't want to talk about it, but I have offered to get him counseling. I may still do it if I can get him to go.

He is 23 now. The sad thing is that I had hooked up a mower for him and he said he was going to grease it. At 83 I told him no, I would call my son because I was on way to deliver food to my wife's family whose uncle had passed the day before. Dad wore a leg brace because of polio as a child and he moved very slow. I believe the tractor jumped out of gear. It wasn't on a steep incline at all, but my son pulled him out of the way enough that it only ran over his pelvis. But he died a week later from complications.

And I want to say thank you to everyone here for all of the education and things I am learning every day!

sstterry":3d3zvl4f said:
jehosofat":3d3zvl4f said:
sstterry":3d3zvl4f said:

He is 23 now. The sad thing is that I had hooked up a mower for him and he said he was going to grease it. At 83 I told him no, I would call my son because I was on way to deliver food to my wife's family whose uncle had passed the day before. Dad wore a leg brace because of polio as a child and he moved very slow. I believe the tractor jumped out of gear. It wasn't on a steep incline at all, but my son pulled him out of the way enough that it only ran over his pelvis. But he died a week later from complications.

And I want to say thank you to everyone here for all of the education and things I am learning every day!

Man, oh man. . . . . . tough deal for the family. I feel for your son, at least he knows he did everything he could.

jehosofat":u49yv87l said:
Man, oh man. . . . . . tough deal for the family. I feel for your son, at least he knows he did everything he could.

Dad repeatedly said in the hospital that he saved his life.
I decided a long time ago that he was doing what he loved and if something happened it was not my fault. So I am at peace. Not so sure about my son, he just doesn't want to talk about it.

THANK YOU sstterry!

Out today bushhogging with my husband. When it came time for his turn on the tractor he asked me to fetch the hand blower to clean out around the radiator. I did fetch the blower. He then raised the front end loader and wanted me to stand under it with the blower. Said it would be easier to clean. I declined and told him I could reach the radiator, air filter, etc. just fine with the loader on the ground and everything turned off. I then told him the information I had read on here. You dont know what you dont know. Thank you again guys.

farmerjan":4joe03i1 said:
The farmer that I first worked for in Ct after I got divorced was a fanatic about safety. NEVER EVER GET OFF THE TRACTOR WITH THE PTO RUNNING. To this day I still won't. Scares me to death. And I try to be around when my son is working on equipment so that if anything were to happen, maybe something could be done to stop a disaster.
Knew a dairyman whose hired guy reached into the mixer with a broom to push the feed off the sides and it caught, got him caught, slipped or something, and he lost his legs....

So sorry for the grandson. And a lesson to us all that as we get older we do not react or move as quick either, so working safer is even MORE important.
On some models of tractors that's not enough.. I have a Massey 165 and it's a terribly unreliable PTO engagement system.. it can be "half engaged".. so that it doesn't put out enough power to drive the implement.. right now... and it can easily be engaged by your pant leg catching on it, etc.. Our IH684 has a far safer system.

Nesikep":8wv5tmxq said:
On some models of tractors that's not enough.. I have a Massey 165 and it's a terribly unreliable PTO engagement system.. it can be "half engaged".. so that it doesn't put out enough power to drive the implement.. right now... and it can easily be engaged by your pant leg catching on it, etc.. Our IH684 has a far safer system.

My rule is, if I have to get out of the cab, the PTO is off and the tractor is off with the brake set and normally the lift all the way down.

Latest posts