Dies after falling into round hay baler today...................

Help Support CattleToday:

That's terrible. I won't even work on the baler with the tractor running and PTO off. I want everything shut off if possible. Not worth the risk of some freak accident happening. That would be a painful way to go.

Well, there are very few 'good' ways to go, but that way isn't even close. Grandson learned a life lesson and a sad hard one at that. :(
Hate to hear about this kind of thing because it is so preventable, but every one of us here has taken a chance at one time or another.
rip papaw..your work here is done.

I see that people that are raised on farms or in self employed construction type jobs do some dangerous things without thinking. I attribute it to not having safety drilled into them from working in a commercial type facility. At work we talk about safety non stop, at the ranch we rarely if ever talk about it. I feel bad for this man and his family, be nice to know the whole story.

Lucky":1ewy8zpn said:
I see that people that are raised on farms or in self employed construction type jobs do some dangerous things without thinking. I attribute it to not having safety drilled into them from working in a commercial type facility. At work we talk about safety non stop, at the ranch we rarely if ever talk about it. I feel bad for this man and his family, be nice to know the whole story.

most people don't even think about putting their hand somewhere or reaching for something..etc.. I'm 100% safety here. I yell and yell at people about things.. they get mad, but when I tell them what would of just happened, then they look at me like.. oh .. ok thanks. I tell them I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to keep them from being hurt.

Uggh not the best way to go.
About 6 months ago I think GB posted a news link about a guy that got pulled into a tree shredder he was working on, it was a bit north of me up near Gympie. A few months ago his work mates got charged with murder, apparently money was owed and drugs involved.

Ken

There is a farmer that my employer is friends with, who got pulled into the beaters of a forage wagon. He survived but was bed ridden for a year and I guess I walks with a limp now. His wife ran the farm by herself for the whole year (I believe it's a 100 cow dairy)

There was a young state trooper in Clinchvalley's area that was under a raised front end loader on his tractor and a hose gave way and he was crushed to death a couple of years ago. Never stand or work under anything held up by hydraulics!

sstterry":3mztga3w said:
There was a young state trooper in Clinchvalley's area that was under a raised front end loader on his tractor and a hose gave way and he was crushed to death a couple of years ago. Never stand or work under anything held up by hydraulics!
I remember that as it was close my wife's family. He was working on a Heston tractor and was between the tractor and loader. The loader came down and pinned him between it and the tractor. He had just bought a new Kubota tractor with a loader.

Man, I feel the worst for his poor grandson. It'll take a while for that young man to get over that.

jehosofat":l2axzjde said:
Man, I feel the worst for his poor grandson. It'll take a while for that young man to get over that.

I would venture to say he will never get over it but learn to deal with it that will always forever be in his head especially when seeing a baler.

skyhightree1":1crw2m71 said:
jehosofat":1crw2m71 said:

I would venture to say he will never get over it but learn to deal with it that will always forever be in his head especially when seeing a baler.
My son was with his grandfather last June when he got run over by a tractor (tractor jumped out of gear). Son pulled him out of the way just enough that it didn't kill him instantly, but he died a week later. He doesn't want to talk about it, but I have offered to get him counseling. I may still do it if I can get him to go.

jltrent":uhoxw9j4 said:
sstterry":uhoxw9j4 said:
I remember that as it was close my wife's family. He was working on a Heston tractor and was between the tractor and loader. The loader came down and pinned him between it and the tractor. He had just bought a new Kubota tractor with a loader.
It is a small world. He was married to my 3rd cousin.

Had a dairyman down here fell into a vertical mixer wagon a few years ago. Nobody knew how long he had been in it when they found him but wasn't much left except very small bits and pieces.

A few years ago a neighbor was unclogging his corn picker and stumbled into the rollers. He was stuck in and upright position with the rollers grinding his legs at the knees. He was close the road and everybody that went buy he tried to get them to stop and it took forever for him to get somebody to stop and shut the tractor off. He lost both legs at the knees.

Latest posts