Didn't Like the Black Hereford? How 'Bout a Tiger Stripe?

Help Support CattleToday:

Google up Triple L Black Herefords Mexia Texas. The Black Hereford Herd Sires on that website look very good.
Post one of the Triple L Bulls. Are you could even post some of the heifers. You could even post the self loading bulls.
Oh ,I almost forgot. Tiger stripes. There are some Brahman breeders that are a step ahead of the rest, using Black Hereford Bulls to produce Black Tiger Stripes. Should be a good cross. Some even purchase sexed semen, and flush there good cows and produce all heifer embryos.
I suppose that's all I have to say.
May God Bless and keep cattle prices high !!!

bobby lide":2nwultwt said:
There are some Brahman breeders that are a step ahead of the rest, using Black Hereford Bulls to produce Black Tiger Stripes.

:bday: That is all I can say; and trust me, it is meant to be derogatory.

Next on the list will be "american black british white"
And of course a "black whitebred shorthorn", because it is needed to produce the famous "black bluegray"...
:bang:

I dont understand why everyone is bashing black herefords, lots of other breeds have gone from other colors to black to maximize payouts from having black hides. I for one like them and have found a breeder here in utah and have visited his operation to see what its all about. If black herefords aint your thing than thats fine thats why there are so many breeds out there because we dont all like the same thing but I dont see why we have to attack people for going after a breed they like.

My 2 cents. Over the years I have noticed breeders introducing another breed into their stock. For Example, Hereford breeders used Simmental, and Angus used Chianina. Both used the breeds to increase size in their stock. They continued to register the offspring as Hereford or Angus even though the offspring was not pure.

Now breed associations are allowing the cross for percentage cattle and are registered as either Full blood or Pure blood. Full blood is the original breed and Pure is the mixed.

This is probably going to get some folks panties in a wad, but in ways some producers are not much different than dog breeders who cross two breeds creating a "designer" dog and selling it for mega bucks. For example -- Labradoodles, a labrador and standard poodle cross that sells for several thousand dollars. No matter how you look at it, it is still a mutt (crossbred).

It seems that more and more cattle producers are going the same route. You can call it what you want and create your own breed, but it is what it is. Until it is proven that the cross breeds true to standard for years and years, it will be difficult for many to recognize it as a breed. There is more than having an outstanding pedigree or EPDs. The animal itself must be an outstanding individual.

Personally, I find it offensive that someone should create a Black Hereford registry. The Hereford breed is an old and respected breed and does not include black as a breed characteristic or color. It's a same that the Hereford registry did not copywrite the name so that others could not mis-use it.

chippie":3udk2nkj said:
My 2 cents. Over the years I have noticed breeders introducing another breed into their stock. For Example, Hereford breeders used Simmental, and Angus used Chianina. Both used the breeds to increase size in their stock. They continued to register the offspring as Hereford or Angus even though the offspring was not pure.

Now breed associations are allowing the cross for percentage cattle and are registered as either Full blood or Pure blood. Full blood is the original breed and Pure is the mixed.

This is probably going to get some folks panties in a wad, but in ways some producers are not much different than dog breeders who cross two breeds creating a "designer" dog and selling it for mega bucks. For example -- Labradoodles, a labrador and standard poodle cross that sells for several thousand dollars. No matter how you look at it, it is still a mutt (crossbred).

It seems that more and more cattle producers are going the same route. You can call it what you want and create your own breed, but it is what it is. Until it is proven that the cross breeds true to standard for years and years, it will be difficult for many to recognize it as a breed. There is more than having an outstanding pedigree or EPDs. The animal itself must be an outstanding individual.

Personally, I find it offensive that someone should create a Black Hereford registry. The Hereford breed is an old and respected breed and does not include black as a breed characteristic or color. It's a same that the Hereford registry did not copywrite the name so that others could not mis-use it.
I think you are wrong. You could have bred angus to a chi but you could not have registered the calf as an Angus. You could breed a Herford to a Simm but the offspring would not be accepted into the Hereford registry.
Now you could take a hereford and breed it to Simm and be accepted into the Simm registry.
You could breed an angus to a chi bull and the offspring could be registered into the Chi registry.
My take a hereford is a hereford.
A black hereford is a crossbreed, not sayinging they can't be good cattle but they are still a crossbreed.

user1":34m1vgri said:
I think you are wrong. You could have bred angus to a chi but you could not have registered the calf as an Angus. You could breed a Herford to a Simm but the offspring would not be accepted into the Hereford registry.
Now you could take a hereford and breed it to Simm and be accepted into the Simm registry.
You could breed an angus to a chi bull and the offspring could be registered into the Chi registry.
A black hereford is a crossbreed, not sayinging they can't be good cattle but they are still a crossbreed.

No, I am not wrong. I am talking about what happened 30 odd years ago. The breeders slipped the other breeds into the woodpile. There was no DNA testing at that time. I am 59 years old and I remember it very well.

I'm not familiar with angus history as much as Hereford, so with Herefords there's a common "belief" that simm blood got slipped into Hereford years ago, going back to 23D. Again this is common belief, not to be confused with proof. Over the many years something like this could have also happened in the angus lines, maybe not. Now with DNA testing things are different.

I don't have a problem with anyone or group trying to start a new breed, I do have a problem with them trying to do it on the coat tails of another breed. Black Herefords are not a Hereford, if they would have called the new breed baldies or most anything else I don't think there would be much of a discussion. The AHA does not recognize black hereford, therefore they are not allowed in the AHA registry. Something else the black Hereford assoc did to further my dislike for their tactics was to move there headquarters to Kansas City, the location city of the AHA. I'm sure this was just to give others impression that black Herefords are a Hereford........ Smoke and mirrors is no way to get a cattlemans trust or establish a creditable new breed.

Ah, I feel better. :D

there is some confusion here.

Slipping things into a breed against the rules of the organization. But for an organization to gladly accept another bit of a breed is a completely different issue.

There are vast amounts of hereford bloodlines that a pure so to condemn a whole breed for a quirky few who cheated is WRONG.

CHEATING is a completely different issue

user1":wzzahini said:
there is some confusion here.

Slipping things into a breed against the rules of the organization. But for an organization to gladly accept another bit of a breed is a completely different issue.

There are vast amounts of hereford bloodlines that a pure so to condemn a whole breed for a quirky few who cheated is WRONG.

CHEATING is a completely different issue

No confusion here, I agree with you that there are two different issues on how different breeds get into one registry. I was trying to back chippie's point somewhat, but I agree with your point, just making some clarification.

My only issue with black Herefords is their tactics, the name of their breed and trying to gain legitimacy through confusion of there headquarters location. I guess I would not have cared so much if they chose the name "white faced black angus" instead of black Hereford. :mrgreen:

Exactly Alan.

I still say they are a crossbred, and there are some good ones. But their quality is not the issue.

chippie":2hmsfkyv said:
user1":2hmsfkyv said:

No, I am not wrong. I am talking about what happened 30 odd years ago. The breeders slipped the other breeds into the woodpile. There was no DNA testing at that time. I am 59 years old and I remember it very well.
I'm a little older and I agree with you completely, but I'm guessing that the Black Hereford assoc is banking on the fact that soon enough, all the old folks will die off and a lot of the resistance and well deserved sarcasm they are encountering will die with them (us).
Dunno how all that will play out with the younger folks raising good black baldies, but they are also part of the competition that BHA is facing and with good reason. To me, there was a LOT more behind all this than just trying to create or draw attention to a specific cross to compete with CAB, and not all of it was good. Hereford--Angus--Brangus--I like 'em all, each breed-- always have, but the way this all came down just stinks IMO.

Latest posts