Defective corner post?

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I have a forty that ends at tee in a two county gravel roads. All the other roads have crossroads every mile. But the old Frisco RR used to cut across the end of my place so the roads ends.
When I fenced it I used 5 new railroad ties set in concrete for the corner, one day I noticed someone ran thru the stop sign and shoved one of the ties halfway over and left green Gm car parts everywhere. The next day I went to fix it and all the parts were gone. Fence still demolished...
Straightened post back up and poured more concrete and replaced cross braces
A few years later someone did the same thing except snapped tie off at the ground rode a 4 inch cedar over, turned left through my other fence and into neighbors bean field.
I replaced the tie and someone ran through it again and broke it off but at least backed up and left.. I just said forget that tie and just fixed the fence.

A couple days ago someone ran through the barbwire sideswiped a large cedar hit a big oak deadon backed up and turned left.Rode over a bunch of saplings took out two steel post and five strands of babe wire and back through neighbors beanfield...
Must be bad fence posts... also I stay off that road late at night. have to be dui ya think?

Sounds like you need some salvaged concrete pipe to lay in front of your fence. 36 inchers would suffice I think.

Jogeephus":34m31s32 said:
Sounds like you need some salvaged concrete pipe to lay in front of your fence. 36 inchers would suffice I think.

My thoughts also. Or some 6-8" steel pipes filled with concrete and cemented in the ground also. Or if you are concerned about the drunks welfare you could post a lot of reflective signage that would probably catch their attention. Get some that reflect blue and some that reflect white. That'll make em turn around :lol2:

Maybe the county needs to do something to give the drives a warning. Or as Jogeephus suggested, an obstacle running parallel to the fence. Cut the biggest Hedge tree you can find and let it lay there!

At my farm the county road is paved and has a 90 deg. curve. If you don't make the 90, it's the same problem you have. I redid fall the fencing when I bought the place but that was the last section I worked on. It had been run two times by then.

One of those times I discovered some wrappings from a neck brace. So I called the local sheriff to see if there was a report. There was, so that guys insurance paid to fix it that time.

I ended up leaving about 40' of "trash fence". Kinda like a water gap. Make it so it's easy, simple and cheap to fix.

I had a neighbor that was not all there that started getting his jollies driving his Ford Fiesta through my fence. After talking twice to him and he still did not stop I took a backhoe and dug enough washing tub sized rocks out ot the creek to put them every three feet in the fence line where he liked to run through it. Fixed the fence the next eveing and that was the last time I had to repair it. Never did see that fiesta on the road after that either.

hillbilly beef man":1f7vk2lp said:
I had a neighbor that was not all there that started getting his jollies driving his Ford Fiesta through my fence. After talking twice to him and he still did not stop I took a backhoe and dug enough washing tub sized rocks out ot the creek to put them every three feet in the fence line where he liked to run through it. Fixed the fence the next eveing and that was the last time I had to repair it. Never did see that fiesta on the road after that either.

This doesn't involve a fence but.... I have two uncles that learned a similar lesson when they were in high school. An older gentleman who lived in town had his leaves raked and piled at the curb for the city to pick up and haul away. First day they ran through the pile with their car. The old man raked them back up and re-piled them. Second day same thing, only the older uncle said we need to quit scattering that mans leaves. Third day the pile was 90% blocks and bricks covered with leaves. You can figure out the rest. Served them right too.

JMJ Farms":1cei8oyv said:
Jogeephus":1cei8oyv said:

My thoughts also. Or some 6-8" steel pipes filled with concrete and cemented in the ground also. Or if you are concerned about the drunks welfare you could post a lot of reflective signage that would probably catch their attention. Get some that reflect blue and some that reflect white. That'll make em turn around :lol2:

That would be real funny until someone got killed. And I've had fences that were car magnets too.

I think you are missing an opportunity.

1. I would first post the fence line as no trespassing/private property.

2. Move you corner over 10 yards and re-establish your fence line leaving a rectangular area approximately 10 yrds wide by 60 yds long.

3. Fill rectangular area with your choice of loose sand or gravel to a moderate depth of ~ 18 to 24 inches deep.

4. Purchase a nice long chain to hook up to the tractor of your choice.

5. Post sign for overnight parking $1000. Towing $500.

6. Purchase a portable credit card processor, everyone carries plastic these days.

7. Set a trip alarm.

Once alarm has been tripped, offer individual a courtesy call to the Sheriff's office or parking overnight at the established rate. Payment due immediately of course. :D

Railroad rail, sunk 4 or 5 ft. People start to use the same around here for mail boxes when the snow plows won't lift their wings.

I think Rafter eluded to the issue with big barriers. Best be careful installing crash barriers or someone will get seriously hurt and end up owning your place in a court of law.

Commercialfarmer":9uqmgj21 said:
I think you are missing an opportunity.

1. I would first post the fence line as no trespassing/private property.

2. Move you corner over 10 yards and re-establish your fence line leaving a rectangular area approximately 10 yrds wide by 60 yds long.

3. Fill rectangular area with your choice of loose sand or gravel to a moderate depth of ~ 18 to 24 inches deep.

4. Purchase a nice long chain to hook up to the tractor of your choice.

5. Post sign for overnight parking $1000. Towing $500.

6. Purchase a portable credit card processor, everyone carries plastic these days.

7. Set a trip alarm.

Once alarm has been tripped, offer individual a courtesy call to the Sheriff's office or parking overnight at the established rate. Payment due immediately of course. :D

I like the way you think...

I thought about the steel post but kind of afraid of getting sued, surprised I'm not getting sued for having a large oak tree in the path :D

I am going to drive a couple of t post and put a board between them with some reflective tape.
still can't believe two different people have broke off railroad ties that were set 3 to 4 feet deep in concrete.
Have all kinds of car and truck front end parts laying in the leaves.

My whole farm is in hills except for a bottom field of about 15 acres, 3.5 of those acres are designated wetlands, the wetlands is where all the action takes place.
It is pretty much a jungle, I can't do much with it. A local farmer got fined 75000.00 recently for farming some wetlands he thought were no longer designated :(

lavacarancher":1qs4rwp6 said:
I think Rafter eluded to the issue with big barriers. Best be careful installing crash barriers or someone will get seriously hurt and end up owning your place in a court of law.

Absolutely. You at the very least need to make sure crash barrier is completely on your property. If fence is on property line and you put crash barriers outside of it. Your setting yourself up for a lawsuit

I have a gate that runs into my place. There is a ninety degree turn in the road there. Replaced and repaired the gate several times. I bought a solar panel metal ammo box for the batteries. I placed four led red clearance lights on the gate with a flasher. Have had no problem since.

Call the county commish and explain your problem. I wanted them to put up a barrier which he said he couldn't and I shouldn't do that for liability reasons. He did put up a large sign at eye level and that solved the problem.

Latest posts