DEAD COW

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
I have a dead cow north of my house that i need to do something with.she has been there for about a month so i dont want to try and move her.when the wind blows which is often in kansas the smell is terrible.the ground is too rocky to dig a hole large enough to bury her.is there something i could put on her to speed the decaying process? what about burning?

lots of lime will help if it dont rain off it...burning wont really help unless ya git a hell of a fire over it

piedmontese":284ua2ic said:
I have a dead cow north of my house that i need to do something with.she has been there for about a month so i dont want to try and move her.when the wind blows which is often in kansas the smell is terrible.the ground is too rocky to dig a hole large enough to bury her.is there something i could put on her to speed the decaying process? what about burning?

I burned one earlier this year. Worked ok. You need a big pile of wood to keep it going. pile it all around and on top of her. I started about 4 in the afternoon and took till 2 in the morning. It will get rid of 90 percent of it. Once the fat starts melting the fire starts rolling. Smells like french fries.

tripleBfarms":3v6g0jb2 said:
piedmontese":3v6g0jb2 said:

I burned one earlier this year. Worked ok. You need a big pile of wood to keep it going. pile it all around and on top of her. I started about 4 in the afternoon and took till 2 in the morning. It will get rid of 90 percent of it. Once the fat starts melting the fire starts rolling. Smells like french fries.

forgot about the diesel fuel. Soak her down all over first, and the wood too

tripleBfarms":t7y7cvmz said:
tripleBfarms":t7y7cvmz said:
piedmontese":t7y7cvmz said:

forgot about the diesel fuel. Soak her down all over first, and the wood too
i burned her yesterday and i did soak her and all the wood with diesel.worked pretty good and took about 4hrs.we used alot of wood,mostly hedge.

I've done real well with covering them deep with manure. The smell is gone immediately and By the time the pile melts down theres nothing left but the big bones and they are brittle and crush if you run over them with the tractor.

Well the smell is natural. Its gone pretty soon after this above .Needn't have worried . The fly maggots consume only dead stuff then crawl into the ground and pupate. What runs off goes into the ground and is the real source of fertilizer if you think about it, it was the only fertilizer available for billions of years so everything thrives on it .

Pull them over near a weak tree and leave them alone. Come back 6 months to a year later and see how well the tree has come on. I always pick a tree on a high point to take the smell away and put the beast on the high side of the tree if there is one say 10 foot from the trunk.

Initially the grass underneath dies and you get a black spot for some time then when the grass regrows it is dark green and cows will avoid it not from the smell but because it is too rich for them.

Take that into account when you put cattle on fertilised grass . It looks good to you but the cattle find it insipid, taste it ,it has a bite to it that is hard to explain .Contrast this post against the one before about the Governments approach and then you can see why the worlds in trouble

jedstivers":39hal0yc said:
Tires work good too, here in three days the coyotes have them gone.

Same here. When I was a kid we'd just drag the dead cows into the corner of a field. They'd be almost gone the next day between the coyotes and the crows.

tytower"Pull them over near a weak tree and leave them alone. Come back 6 months to a year later and see how well the tree has come on.[/quote said:
There is a big charge here now to pick up dead animals.
Most folks have a bone pile in an out of the way spot even through that is no longer proper.
Feeding trees sounds like a great idea.

Stocker Steve":2k1xa3kl said:
Most folks have a bone pile in an out of the way spot even through that is no longer proper.

Also next to the big cost they tell you they will be by within the next 2 weeks. Not a problem in January but in July it can be a problem.

ChrisB":1l5on12r said:
Stocker Steve":1l5on12r said:

Also next to the big cost they tell you they will be by within the next 2 weeks. Not a problem in January but in July it can be a problem.
The knacker here closed a while back for almost a year. They reopend about 6 months ago. Now they're picking up for half price just to keep things rolling again.

I am NOT going to show that to my husband
He'd be shooting the calves just so he could blow them up :banana:

I got a kick out of the blurb to make sure the horseshoes are removed to minimise dangerous flying debris.

Gee the edit button is only live for a few minutes now ?? Makes it hard to get any posts that have reference right -should be 24 hours

Above whale video was supposedly viewed 350 Million times , I know I did my share

Latest posts