Dairy cattle vs beef cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":3o7tcmag said:
Personally I don't think we need to resolve this issue. Just leave it as the way it is.

From my interpretation, it seems that you have an issue with ground beef more than other meats.
That's true because, the last I read, ground beef is 60% of all beef sold in the US.
Thanks for answering my question.

They should go to the same place cancer-eyed and downer cattle go. In a hole in the ground or the rendering plant!

Wow!! okay.... so based on a completely subjective and arbitrary grading system, you advocate condemning something close to 50% of all the beef currently processed in the US...despite there being absolutely nothing wrong with it other than it does not suit your palate........are you a politician in real life??? That kind of elitist attitude seems to fit right in with them.
They always seem to know whats best for us lowly masses.....

In that case, I think we should go ahead and take that one step further by prohibiting the sale of all white meat from chickens and turkeys, since I, and many others, find it unfit for human consumption. (except for chicken wings, those are exempt from the rule.

In all seriousness, if a consumer is so concerned about what grade their steak might be, why not just educate themselves a little and grade it themselves. If they want beef with lots of intramuscular marbling, go buy it. Most stores are selling their beef in transparent packaging.

LCCattle, Your ideas are "interesting". You shot most of your credibility with me on the second page of this thread when you said that dairy cattle are "genetically engineered". My advice is to keep using that search engine, and spend some time thinking about possible unintended consequences of your ideas.

CottonFarm
Consistently the best beef to me is yearling bull (including Holstein and jersey), which doesn't usually have enough intramuscular fat to grade beyond low to middle select, yet IMO is comparable in quality to prime beef. Yet by your requirements would not be allowed to be sold.
That is not what I said. I said " My position is, no meat, including meat from beef cattle, should be sold for human consumption that does not at least grade select, without being commingled with any product from a higher grade."
But if you want to drop the lowest acceptable grade down to a standard label, that's fine with me as long as there is a USDA label saying " Standard" on it and it is not commingled with a higher grade. ( no pink slime ) But I don't think any store will stock it for the lack of demand, but fast food and institutions may buy it.

http://www.progressivecattle.com/topics ... E.facebook

LCCattle":22eonaad said:
" My position is, no meat, including meat from beef cattle, should be sold for human consumption that does not at least grade select, without being commingled with any product from a higher grade."

Government regulation for food safety. Yes.
But more laws and government on subjective food opinions, NO.

As I stated before, my cousin prefers to buy the leanest toughest beef believing it is healthier.
I prefer highly marbled tender beef.
Free market sorts it out.
Other than safety, I don't want the government making my decisions or limiting my freedom of choice.

On a more serious issue, safety.
Accidents are the #4 killer in the USA. Majority of accidents occur at home with more than 1/2 in the bathroom.
I say "Time for a law requiring seat belts on toilets." What say you?

cmay,
Genetic engineering on animals is done every day by cross breeding. You try to breed out the unwanted gene or try to breed in the wanted gene and it's done with both beef and dairy cattle. That's what breeder do, they select cow/bulls to pair to achieve a desired goal.
You and I both were genetically engineered by our parent's genes. If we weren't we would look exactly like one of our parents.

LCCattle":4y3oce6l said:
You and I both were genetically engineered by our parent's genes. If we weren't we would look exactly like one of our parents.
Engineering is an action requiring thought.
Genes have no thought process therefore the idea that our parent's genes engineered us is flawed at best.

Genetic engineering alters the genetic make-up of an organism using techniques that remove heritable material or that introduce DNA prepared outside the organism either directly into the host or into a cell that is then fused or hybridized with the host. This involves using recombinant nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) techniques to form new combinations of heritable genetic material followed by the incorporation of that material either indirectly through a vector system or directly through micro-injection, macro-injection and micro-encapsulation techniques.

Genetic engineering does not normally include traditional animal and plant breeding, in vitro fertilisation, induction of polyploidy, mutagenesis and cell fusion techniques that do not use recombinant nucleic acids or a genetically modified organism in the process.

Artificial selection or selective breeding is not genetic engineering.

OK, so we are in agreement on no commingling of grades ( pink slime ) for " food safety "reasons?

No problem with you or your brother's preference. If low select doesn't please him, I have no problem with make "standard " the bottom line. But IMO it would be more economical and easier to get by just cutting up his old leather boots and probably would taste better also.

Seat belts on toilets. Now that's a thought! But you would have to change the seat also to incorporate the blinking light and buzzer when you don't buckle it. So no, to expensive.

Son of Butch":yf2gr0jx said:
LCCattle":yf2gr0jx said:
Genes have no thought process therefore the idea that our parent's genes engineered us is flawed at best.
No but people do or they would be animals who function only on instinct with no though process involved. Animals can be conditioned but they can not be taught. And people make the decisions as to which bull breeds which cow.

[/quote]
And people make the decisions as to which bull breeds which cow.[/quote]

That still doesn't make it genetic engineering.

LCCattle":3eltlia2 said:
No but people do or they would be animals who function only on instinct with no though process involved. Animals can be conditioned but they can not be taught. And people make the decisions as to which bull breeds which cow.

Huh? I have given this thread light reading since I attempted to stir the pot on CAB so may have missed something, but before I go on are you saying animals can't be taught? Or am I miss reading it? They can be conditioned but not taught? Not looking for a fight, just good conversation.

cmay":21q53et0 said:
Genetic engineering alters the genetic make-up of an organism using techniques that remove heritable material or that introduce DNA prepared outside the organism either directly into the host or into a cell that is then fused or hybridized with the host. This involves using recombinant nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) techniques to form new combinations of heritable genetic material followed by the incorporation of that material either indirectly through a vector system or directly through micro-injection, macro-injection and micro-encapsulation techniques.

Genetic engineering does not normally include traditional animal and plant breeding, in vitro fertilisation, induction of polyploidy, mutagenesis and cell fusion techniques that do not use recombinant nucleic acids or a genetically modified organism in the process.

Artificial selection or selective breeding is not genetic engineering.

Here is the part of the definition of " engineering " that fits with genetic
. the action of working artfully to bring something about.

I'm not sure exactly when this phrase was coined, but I do know it was before we knew much about DNA. We certainly have been using both genes, genetics and engineering for longer then I remember as my dad used them. It probably came out of Texas A & M by some high paid professor trying to make people think he knew something the rest of us didn't.

Alan":2vzrs383 said:
LCCattle":2vzrs383 said:

Huh? I have given this thread light reading since I attempted to stir the pot on CAB so may have missed something, but before I go on are you saying animals can't be taught? Or am I miss reading it? They can be conditioned but not taught? Not looking for a fight, just good conversation.

Alan,
You are reading that correctly. Animals function on instinct not a thought process, but they can be condition. If you doubt me, tell your dog or other animal to perform something you have already conditioned it to do. After he completes it, say OK "do it again or 3 more times" and see what happens.

LCC you stated that this subject was a hot button on another board. I'm convinced your the one making it that way. Beef is beef don't matter what color the hide is or how much milk they produce.

LCCattle":1nl1y7i1 said:
Alan":1nl1y7i1 said:
LCCattle":1nl1y7i1 said:

Alan,
You are reading that correctly. Animals function on instinct not a thought process, but they can be condition. If you doubt me, tell your dog or other animal to perform something you have already conditioned it to do. After he completes it, say OK "do it again or 3 more times" and see what happens.

Before I go on, because at this point I do disagree with you and this may need to be a different thread, what is the difference between conditioned and trained in your mind. I don't see a big difference. Again I'm not looking for a fight just good conversation.

M-5":2vdromxh said:
LCC you stated that this subject was a hot button on another board. I'm convinced your the one making it that way. Beef is beef don't matter what color the hide is or how much milk they produce.
If you had read the links I provided you would know I'm not alone.

LCCattle":1q36r2r0 said:
Son of Butch":1q36r2r0 said:
LCCattle":1q36r2r0 said:
people make the decisions as to which bull breeds which cow.

Are you saying my decision to choose a hereford or angus bull to breed my cows makes me a Genetic Engineer?
My guess is your standard as to what is genetic engineering is both too low and wrong.

Latest posts