Dairy cattle vs beef cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

ricebeltrancher":2rik68b6 said:
LCCattle":2rik68b6 said:
NE,

Why de-value our product - high quality beef cattle?

Just a foot note on pink slime.
In case you don't know what pink slime is and where it comes from.
Pink slime is processed trimmings from the outside of an carcass that has been in a cooler after slaughter. The carcass is then loaded on a reefer and transported to a packing house where is cut up and packed and sold as box beef. The outside of this carcass, that has been loaded and unloaded and travel across the country, if not across an ocean, is again placed in a cooler and left to cure for 10 days or longer if it hadn't already had time to cure. When the carcass is finally cut for packaging the outside of each cut is cut off and sold as trimmings to processors who then process it into pink slime after numerous people had handled it and it has been exposed to a multitude of outside contaminants. Thus, the reason for treating it with ammonia.

I apologize if some of my points have already been said, but I just can't read any more without saying something!

This is ludicrous! Who in the world are you, that you act like you're an authority on everything that has to do with the beef industry? Do you get your info from PETA? HSUS? Pink slime is connective tissue that's ground up, NOT the layer on the outside of a carcass. That's just ludicrous!! Cattle are not slaughtered at one place, then shipped across the country, then shipped somewhere else. Ludicrous! ALL of the big plants in this country are one-stop shops. Everything happens there. Cattle are brought in, slaughtered, cooled, graded, broken down, boxed, and shipped out. ONE PLACE. I KNOW these things!

I'm sure there are a multitude of other false claims that have yet to be debunked in this thread, but I will attempt to address the ones that I've run across thus far. Fact or Fiction - Dairy cattle produce low quality beef. FICTION. Back when I was in college, 98% of all PRIME beef was dairy. I highly doubt that has changed very much. They don't qualify for branded programs because they have small ribeyes and dairy breed character. CAB cattle are NOT DNA tested. Red Angus cattle CAN qualify for CAB if they have an Angus Source tag. As can any animal with an Angus Source tag, regardless of color if they meet the grading requirements. Dairy cattle are NOT genetically engineered! They have been bred selectively for milk production for...forever! Just like every other breed of cattle in creation!
Ms, you obviously have not read all the post or you wouldn't be making some of these statement as I have already proven proof of my statements. But I would be happy to go over them, one at a time again if you like.

You hasn't post any proof, nor did you debunked Ricebeltrancher's statement. But please post the link where you got your proof from.

Muddy":2kzqpdrg said:
You hasn't post any proof, nor did you debunked Ricebeltrancher's statement. But please post the link where you got your proof from.

Muddy, I really think that he thinks when he posts something that comes from his mind or who knows where (no matter how ignorant), it has now been proven. He will probably post a link, but it will have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Or he will just throw out some other red herring.

ricebeltrancher":ufh701wu said:
LCCattle":ufh701wu said:
NE,

Why de-value our product - high quality beef cattle?

Just a foot note on pink slime.
In case you don't know what pink slime is and where it comes from.
Pink slime is processed trimmings from the outside of an carcass that has been in a cooler after slaughter. The carcass is then loaded on a reefer and transported to a packing house where is cut up and packed and sold as box beef. The outside of this carcass, that has been loaded and unloaded and travel across the country, if not across an ocean, is again placed in a cooler and left to cure for 10 days or longer if it hadn't already had time to cure. When the carcass is finally cut for packaging the outside of each cut is cut off and sold as trimmings to processors who then process it into pink slime after numerous people had handled it and it has been exposed to a multitude of outside contaminants. Thus, the reason for treating it with ammonia.

I apologize if some of my points have already been said, but I just can't read any more without saying something!

This is ludicrous! Who in the world are you, that you act like you're an authority on everything that has to do with the beef industry? Do you get your info from PETA? HSUS? Pink slime is connective tissue that's ground up, NOT the layer on the outside of a carcass. That's just ludicrous!! Cattle are not slaughtered at one place, then shipped across the country, then shipped somewhere else. Ludicrous! ALL of the big plants in this country are one-stop shops. Everything happens there. Cattle are brought in, slaughtered, cooled, graded, broken down, boxed, and shipped out. ONE PLACE. I KNOW these things!

I'm sure there are a multitude of other false claims that have yet to be debunked in this thread, but I will attempt to address the ones that I've run across thus far. Fact or Fiction - Dairy cattle produce low quality beef. FICTION. Back when I was in college, 98% of all PRIME beef was dairy. I highly doubt that has changed very much. They don't qualify for branded programs because they have small ribeyes and dairy breed character. CAB cattle are NOT DNA tested. Red Angus cattle CAN qualify for CAB if they have an Angus Source tag. As can any animal with an Angus Source tag, regardless of color if they meet the grading requirements. Dairy cattle are NOT genetically engineered! They have been bred selectively for milk production for...forever! Just like every other breed of cattle in creation!

OK, lets discuss it.

This is ludicrous! Who in the world are you, that you act like you're an authority on everything that has to do with the beef industry?
Since when is it ludicrous for anyone to state there opinion or that of others? If others, including yourself, have the right to state your opinions, why are you objecting to me doing the same?
Why are you attacking the messenger instead of the message, is it because I am discussing the skid marks in the underwear of the cattle industry, that you don't want discussed?
All I'm doing is trying to discuss issues that are being discussed on other cattle BB and FB with the intend to find a solution to these same issues to improve the cattle industry as a whole.

Do you get your info from PETA? HSUS?
NO! But I do read their propaganda they put out and debunk what I find to be lies, deceit and/or deception. Their propaganda I find to be truthful, I bring it to the attention of the cattle industry in an attempt to have it corrected so as to take away their ammunition, as I am doing here.

Pink slime is connective tissue that's ground up, NOT the layer on the outside of a carcass. That's just ludicrous!!
Please define connective tissue and quote your source.

I don't have a problem with people stating their opinion; I have a problem with people stating their opinion as fact when it isn't. I had forgotten that the actual term for "pink slime" is lean, finely-textured beef, and I wasn't aware that it was collected at the retail level, so I learned and relearned something. But your claim that it is from the outside of a carcass is false. Outside of a trimmed cut, yes, but outside of a carcass? No. If that's what you actually meant, then I think you need to work on your terminology.

http://galveston.agrilife.org/files/201 ... l-2012.pdf

I also don't have a problem discussing any of these topics. They are inherent to the industry, and aren't something that we try to sweep under a rug. If there's a negative connotation to any of them, it's because ignorant people made it so. I lost a lot of respect for Megyn Kelly when pink slime was making headlines. She reacted the same way everyone else did that can't think for themselves, and a lot of people lost jobs because of it. Senseless and disappointing.

"Since when is it ludicrous for anyone to state there opinion or that of others? If others, including yourself, have the right to state your opinions, why are you objecting to me doing the same? "

You are putting out some crazy made up or unverified ideas as facst - not as opinion. Here is another of your quotes - "I have already proven proof of my statements." It sure sounds to me like you believe it to be more than opinion. We could make a pretty long list of all the things you haven't "proven proof of".

cmay":2zua5cri said:
ricebeltrancher":2zua5cri said:

It's hard to argue with a person of this intellect, isn't it. Good try, but the word futility comes to mind.

ricebeltrancher, I hope you didn't think this post of mine was directed at you. It was directed at LCCattle. Your posts, on the other hand, are well thought out, understandable, and sane.

ricebeltrancher":2lcjdadr said:
I don't have a problem with people stating their opinion; I have a problem with people stating their opinion as fact when it isn't. I had forgotten that the actual term for "pink slime" is lean, finely-textured beef, and I wasn't aware that it was collected at the retail level, so I learned and relearned something. But your claim that it is from the outside of a carcass is false. Outside of a trimmed cut, yes, but outside of a carcass? No. If that's what you actually meant, then I think you need to work on your terminology.

http://galveston.agrilife.org/files/201 ... l-2012.pdf

I also don't have a problem discussing any of these topics. They are inherent to the industry, and aren't something that we try to sweep under a rug. If there's a negative connotation to any of them, it's because ignorant people made it so. I lost a lot of respect for Megyn Kelly when pink slime was making headlines. She reacted the same way everyone else did that can't think for themselves, and a lot of people lost jobs because of it. Senseless and disappointing.
I don't have a problem with people stating their opinion; I have a problem with people stating their opinion as fact when it isn't.
I stated nothing as "fact " but when asked for my opinion I did respond with " I believe" or " in my opinion " but to the best of my knowledge I never stated anything as " fact ". If I did, please quote furnish it with the page number.

We are not all that far apart on our thinking. But,
IMO, I believe Dr. Russell Cross, head of the department of animal science at Texas A&M is being somewhat deceptive or is using confusing sentences to protect his approval of pink slime. But that was back in 1993 and some things have changed from then.

Here is how I understand the process from seeing it first hand and by what I have read.
First, YES there are some slaughterhouse/processor full service meat processors. That's from a live animal to whole sale to grocery store as boxed beef.
BUT, there are also stand alone slaughterhouses who do nothing buy kill and dress the animal and sell the carcass.
The Rancho in Ca. is only a slaughterhouse and is the house that caused the 8.7 million pound recall. It is now owned by Black Canyon.
Black Canyon had their cattle slaughtered there and ship the carcass to a processor where is was processed into box beef. ( The name escapes me right now now )
From there I'm not sure where the trimming go that are not processed for ground beef.
There is also a slaughterhouse in Ga, that I have used via our co-op for culled older cows.
They make nothing but ground beef, mostly from Holsteins. No video available, so here is another video.
Do you hear him say there are shipped to him from meat plants?
Do you see the fat still on the outside of the trimmings that was on the carcass when shipped to the processing plant from the slaughterhouse then shipped the processing plant and not in boxes to Dennis?
And as Mr. cross said, pink slime is made from beef trimmings.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGh7p23_I4

if only they would invent refrigerated trucks and refrigerated warehouses to haul the carcasses from place to place. Larry if your so concerned with the process and what the consumer wants you should open a packing house and provide the consumer with what they want. In other words "put yo money where yo mouth is"

If you're just talking about smaller outfits, maybe that's where we differ, since all of my firsthand experience is from the big plants like IBP, Excel, and Tyson where they do a few thousand every day. Still, the fact remains that LFTB is NOT made from the outside of the carcass. The outside of a carcass is covered in FAT, and is NOT lean, finely-textured beef.

ricebeltrancher":1ms7ktje said:
If you're just talking about smaller outfits, maybe that's where we differ, since all of my firsthand experience is from the big plants like IBP, Excel, and Tyson where they do a few thousand every day. Still, the fact remains that LFTB is NOT made from the outside of the carcass. The outside of a carcass is covered in FAT, and is NOT lean, finely-textured beef.
Still, the fact remains that LFTB is NOT made from the outside of the carcass. The outside of a carcass is covered in FAT, and is NOT lean, finely-textured beef.
Define LFTB.

I disagree and Cross is wrong as trimmings do contain fat as shown in the video. Nor are trimmings "LEAN" as he claims. Only if they were from a dairy cow would they be lean and contain no fat.

Why do some meat processors use pink slime?

Still, the fact remains that LFTB is NOT made from the outside of the carcass. The outside of a carcass is covered in FAT, and is NOT lean, finely-textured beef.
Define LFTB.

I disagree and Cross is wrong as trimmings do contain fat as shown in the video. Nor are trimmings "LEAN" as he claims. Only if they were from a dairy cow would they be lean and contain no fat.

Why do some meat processors use pink slime?

Cross
the lean, finely textured beef —
is separated from the fat
True
and from the lean trimmings.
I DON'T think so! Bull hockey! As it hasn't been on the trimming in the video.
Pink slime is processed trimmings, fat and all.
What is the process used to make pink slime?

I'll bite. This has a simple answer. If it is meat from a cow and it is consumed it must be called beef. I'm talking non exotic so don't get critical on me. If you drank milk from a beef cow would it still not be milk and therefore qualify as a dairy product?

Second post and I slammed it home. :D Case closed, carry on!
Respectfully disagree...!! First you use the term cow fairly loosely, as a cow is a female bovine that has produced a calf. This does apply to both beef and dairy cattle. The same applies to a heifer, a female bovine that has not calved. A steer is a neutered male and a bull still has its testicles. Dairy and beef cattle are breed for two distinct purposes, one to produce high quality milk and the other to produce high quality meat. Eating meat from a dairy cow is distinctly different from that of cattle raised for beef due to animal age, body structure and muscle mass. Most people in the know would agree that meat from a dairy cow is meat but not beef. The picture of Bill Gates with a dairy cow behind him is in itself an oxymoron just showing the oxy"MORON" he is....!! Your generalization above just doesn't cut the mustard.

Respectfully disagree...!! First you use the term cow fairly loosely, as a cow is a female bovine that has produced a calf. This does apply to both beef and dairy cattle. The same applies to a heifer, a female bovine that has not calved. A steer is a neutered male and a bull still has its testicles. Dairy and beef cattle are breed for two distinct purposes, one to produce high quality milk and the other to produce high quality meat. Eating meat from a dairy cow is distinctly different from that of cattle raised for beef due to animal age, body structure and muscle mass. Most people in the know would agree that meat from a dairy cow is meat but not beef. The picture of Bill Gates with a dairy cow behind him is in itself an oxymoron just showing the oxy"MORON" he is....!! Your generalization above just doesn't cut the mustard.
You do realize that this thread is 6 years old?
And some experienced members on here will tell you that Jersey meat is as good or better as any beef breed.

I have heard of people bragging about how good jersey meat is, my experience has been totally different.
One pure jersey and one jersey angus cross.
I didn't care for neither one, the meat was very stringy.
I will never butcher another one.
I was surprised the angus cross was stringy.

You do realize that this thread is 6 years old?
And some experienced members on here will tell you that Jersey meat is as good or better as any beef breed.
No I didn't realize it was that old. New to this forum as of yesterday and am didn't see any dates.

No I didn't realize it was that old. New to this forum as of yesterday and am didn't see any dates.
You should probably introduce yourself in the New Member Section and it helps to put at least a general location in your profile. A lot of answers and discussions on this board will depend on what general area you live in.

Latest posts