Dairy cattle vs beef cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle

Reaction score
Dairy cattle vs beef cattle.
I can't find the actual post on facebook so here is the best I remember it.
Dairy cattle meat should never be labeled as beef because in most cases it is inferior to most beef cattle meat.
Only meat from beef cattle should be labeled or called beef.

Do you agree or disagree?

I'll bite. This has a simple answer. If it is meat from a cow and it is consumed it must be called beef. I'm talking non exotic so don't get critical on me. If you drank milk from a beef cow would it still not be milk and therefore qualify as a dairy product?

Second post and I slammed it home. :D Case closed, carry on!

OldCrow":qvk4hd74 said:
I'll bite. This has a simple answer. If it is meat from a cow and it is consumed it must be called beef. I'm talking non exotic so don't get critical on me. If you drank milk from a beef cow would it still not be milk and therefore qualify as a dairy product?

Second post and I slammed it home. :D Case closed, carry on!

:clap: :lol2:

lots of dairy in the meat section of grocery stores. I raise beef and eat my own beef, but have been told on this board Holstein and Jersey are good meat.

Abstract: my case will prove beyond doubt that Muslim dairy cows are more efficient. All Muslim Dairy cows are trained from calves to the Burka just like training to the halter. This results in less pinkeye and reduces the need for fly control. The result is a 10 % increase in milk production.

TT: your turn.

Just out of curiosity, has an alternative label been proposed for the meat from dairy cattle? And if it has, what is it?

It's all beef for sure, and legally it should stay that way.
But it would be quite good .marketing by the beef industry to educate the public on what becomes of old broken down dairy cattle. Then create a beef breed brand .
The diary industry dumps a lot of ground meat in the market. The beef industry offers no competition in return.

Don't think there'll be much argument on this. But is Certified Angus Beef (CAB) always Angus? Also how often are Red Angus in the CAB program.....what! :shock: :mrgreen:

Alan":2yzjehrp said:
Don't think there'll be much argument on this. But is Certified Angus Beef (CAB) always Angus? Also how often are Red Angus in the CAB program.....what! :shock: :mrgreen:

A Red Angus wouldn't be in CAB because they have to be 51% black hided to qualify. On the other hand a Holstein steer with lots of black hide who finished high choice, etc could potentially qualify for CAB.
I have eaten lots of Holstein steers. It is good beef. I have had a cut or three of Jersey at a friend's house, certainly tender with good flavor. And I would bet that almost all, if not everyone, on this site has at one time or another ate a burger somewhere that was ground up dairy cow.

LCCattle":20o08j4j said:
Dairy cattle meat should never be labeled as beef because in most cases it is inferior to most beef cattle meat.
Only meat from beef cattle should be labeled or called beef.

Do you agree or disagree?
Whole heartily Disagree.
Just what we need...more government regulation. :shock:
Inferior? In what way inferior? Has less fat? Has more fat?
USDA grading doesn't differ, prime is prime, choice is choice ect. no matter which breed.
Even the highlighted statement implies that in some cases it is equal to or superior.

callmefence":1j5uej3n said:
But it would be quite good .marketing by the beef industry to educate the public on what becomes of old broken down dairy cattle. Then create a beef breed brand .
The diary industry dumps a lot of ground meat in the market. The beef industry offers no competition in return.

If you take away dairy, what's walmart gonna sell? :) By the way, educating the public will have no bearing on walmart shoppers. If you can get beef made in china cheaper, the public is going to buy that.

Dave":1qbz9lqx said:
Alan":1qbz9lqx said:

A Red Angus wouldn't be in CAB because they have to be 51% black hided to qualify. On the other hand a Holstein steer with lots of black hide who finished high choice, etc could potentially qualify for CAB.
I have eaten lots of Holstein steers. It is good beef. I have had a cut or three of Jersey at a friend's house, certainly tender with good flavor. And I would bet that almost all, if not everyone, on this site has at one time or another ate a burger somewhere that was ground up dairy cow.

The CAB argument hasn't come up recently, I was just trying to cause some trouble. I haven't looked at CAB rules lately but to qualify for CAB the animal has to only be 51% black hide and a beef type animal and grade out. The animal doesn't have to be Angus to Certified Angus, but I believe a Holstein wouldn't make it without being crossed and beefy. But a registered Black Hereford could be CAB if it graded. To take ridiculous Certified Beef further, a registered Red Angus could qualify as a Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) but not a CAB.

M.Magis":q33df9aq said:
This seems fairly ridiculous. Not surprised it originated on Facebook.

As much as Facebook is used as a sales tool for organizations I can see it being made into an argument.

backhoeboogie":1h5n9l1h said:
callmefence":1h5n9l1h said:

If you take away dairy, what's walmart gonna sell? :) By the way, educating the public will have no bearing on walmart shoppers. If you can get beef made in china cheaper, the public is going to buy that.

I disagree boogie. If I show folks a 12 year old cow standing in my pasture with grass to her brisket grazing away.
And then show em the same cull cow up to her brisket in mud in a lot. Many will pay more for the pasture cow
I didn't say it was right but it is a fact. Also Wal-Mart will sell both . Just different color packages.

Never buy beef at Walmart uggh, tasteless and don't know what you're getting. Best is butchering your own, one of reasons I love being a cattle rancher!!!

Alan":3qpv3g60 said:
Dave":3qpv3g60 said:
Alan":3qpv3g60 said:

The CAB argument hasn't come up recently, I was just trying to cause some trouble. I haven't looked at CAB rules lately but to qualify for CAB the animal has to only be 51% black hide and a beef type animal and grade out. The animal doesn't have to be Angus to Certified Angus, but I believe a Holstein wouldn't make it without being crossed and beefy. But a registered Black Hereford could be CAB if it graded. To take ridiculous Certified Beef further, a registered Red Angus could qualify as a Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) but not a CAB.
I don't know but I've seen few black hided dairy steers can meet all requirements for CAB.

Latest posts