Dairy cattle vs beef cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

I see some black baldies in that link.... personally I think that the Angus name needs to be removed from CAB.

True, but his label says " Angus beef" not " CAB " ( certified Angus Beef ). And he may also sell some CAB to boot under the CAB label or just plan beef cattle with no label.

LCCattle":1sh5lk9r said:
CMF,
I'm not for more regulations either, but there is only one regulation that needs to be passed. And that is the requirement that all beef sold must have the USDA grade on the package, menu or prominently displayed to be sold/provided and there shall be no commingling of USDA grades. All inspections and enforcement is already in place by the USDA.
If you want to know more then the grade, simply look for the second label. The CAB label is one and here is another that should tell you everything you would want to know.
I bought some of their beef at my local grocery store with their label on it.
http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/
My main problem with your ideas is the no commingling of grades. Sure would make for a hard time using a lot of the trim from the excessivly fat carcass and make the extra lean stuff hard to make palatable.

Dun,
The trimmings can still be used as it is now, but it can not have a USDA grade on it and therefor can not be sold in the US, but can be exported .
That was the only solution we came up with that was fare to the packers, beef producers and dairymen, as it allows prices for beef and packers profit to continue as now, plus it helps dairymen to market their meat products.
IMO that is meeting both parties half way as it still helps the dairy industry market their product while at the same time maintaining the profit margin for both the beef cattle producers and the packers. Although it still leaves the beef industry subsidizing the dairy industry which is in direct competition with them, the higher quality meat being exported should help the beef industry as a whole.

The only other option is to throw the dairy industry under the bus and let them figure out how to market their inferior beef product with a USDA grade on it and let the trimming go out the back door as do entrails and downers.
Or, they can cull them from the dairy herd and feed them out as do beef producers at their expense and produce some fat on their own cattle.

Why it is so important to label dairy beef? We don't know what is the breed in CAB steaks.

Or we could just leave well enough alone and not try to add more regulations that make no sense. The concept of not using the trimmings to make burger makes as much sense as trying to relable beef as something different based on what breed of animal it came from. CAB was done many years ago to sell more black angus bulls.

Muddy":lfoont6p said:
Why it is so important to label dairy beef? We don't know what is the breed in CAB steaks.
It's not. It's a nonissue started on FACEBOOK... calling for more government regulation and backed by the well known
PETA facts and research ... That all dairy cattle sold in the beef industry are down cows.

Facebook, PETA and more Government Regulation .... the future of our country. :(

LCCattle":2h6nn5ue said:
CMF,
I'm not for more regulations either, but there is only one regulation that needs to be passed. And that is the requirement that all beef sold must have the USDA grade on the package, menu or prominently displayed to be sold/provided and there shall be no commingling of USDA grades. All inspections and enforcement is already in place by the USDA.
If you want to know more then the grade, simply look for the second label. The CAB label is one and here is another that should tell you everything you would want to know.
I bought some of their beef at my local grocery store with their label on it.
http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/
YOu have any idea what USDA inspected stamp means? Normally little more than they checked the weight. Get over it son or grow your own beef and pick your own poison. There is somebody wanting to buy every piece of meat in the market everyday , just as there is someone who wants to buy ever cow at the sale barn everyday.

TexasBred":29l03ami said:
. You have any idea what USDA inspected stamp means? Normally little more than they checked the weight. Get over it son or grow your own beef and pick your own poison. There is somebody wanting to buy every piece of meat in the market everyday , just as there is someone who wants to buy ever cow at the sale barn everyday.

I trust most ranchers beef I'm glad to be part of y'all and naturally beef is also my meat of choice!! :D

LCCattle":1el1gzvm said:
Alan,

" To earn the Certified Angus Beef ® brand name, cattle must first be Angus-influenced, with a predominantly black coat.
See CAB, Quality appearance and tenderness
7. Superior muscling (restricts influence of dairy cattle)"

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

What percent Angus are black Simmental, black Charolais, and black Limousin? And is that enough to be "Angus-influenced"?

TexasBred, etc

You are correct. The last burger I ate in town was at McDonald's. It was a burger with nothing on it and I took the meat out and tried to eat it and it defiantly was a dairy meat burger AKA a pink slim burger.
It was the sorriest excuse for beef that I had ever tasted and tried to eat.

Do you remember the black eye the whole cattle industry got over using pink slim in inferior ground beef to enhance it and make it palatable?
It was then that I realized that there was merit to the public out cry for a better quality meat and why cattlemen were loosing market share and cattle prices were going down.

As for see Holstein steers in a feedlot. Yes I have seen them along with thousands of Holstein heifers also. Holstein calves that have been raised with the same protocol as beef cattle is not what we are talking about as they too grade USDA select or choice.

We are talking about old dairy cows who have out lived their usefulness to produce milk and have not been raised to produce beef, that have little/no marbling or back fat and need to have pink slim/trimmings added to make the meat palatable.

I'm not knocking anyone's product, but facts are facts and need to be discussed if the beef industry is ever going to regain it's fair market share back from the chicken and pork industry. And by the way, have you noticed that most all restaurants are now adding bacon ( pork ) to their burgers to make them more palatable ?
Do you know Chick Fil A is now the most popular fast food restaurant ?
Do you know that when ever you see a claim of inhumane treatment of animals or a downer it's almost always a Holstein or at least a dairy cow?
Do you know the the USDA is going to soon be using ultrasound to grade cattle, if they are not already?
Do you know what that may mean to the dairy industry if they set the requirement to high?
Have you considered what requiring a USDA grade, at the consumer level, on all meat sold in the US will do to the imported meat?
Have you considered what this, producing a better quality meat, informing and educating the general public, will do for cattle prices?

So if you think this is all BS please feel free to tell me how you think we cattleman, both dairy and beef cattle, can regain/improve our market share to increase our profitability.

djinwa":u0uktg69 said:
LCCattle":u0uktg69 said:
Alan,

" To earn the Certified Angus Beef ® brand name, cattle must first be Angus-influenced, with a predominantly black coat.

What percent Angus are black Simmental, black Charolais, and black Limousin? And is that enough to be "Angus-influenced"?

I never heard of CAB using a %. But I can tell you this. When an animal goes to a CAB certified feedlot the decision may be made there, or, the final decision may be make by the CAB inspector at the slaughterhouse using both % of black color along with the other requirements.

LCCattle":1c7ahxlb said:
djinwa":1c7ahxlb said:
LCCattle":1c7ahxlb said:
Alan,

" To earn the Certified Angus Beef ® brand name, cattle must first be Angus-influenced, with a predominantly black coat.

I never heard of CAB using a %. But I can tell you this. When an animal goes to a CAB certified feedlot the decision may be made there, or, the final decision may be make by the CAB inspector at the slaughterhouse using both % of black color along with the other requirements.

Again I still have not read the CAB guide recently, but since last time this was brought up for a animal to qualify for the Certified Angus Beef program it has to be "a beef type" animal," be at least 51% black", not necessarily black angus just black and it must also grade out. Now granted for all these others to start getting the black hides cattle many used a black angus influenced animal... What % of black angus blood is in a Certified Black Angus qualifying animal? Doesn't matter just has to look like a beef type and have at least 51% black hide and grade out........ Again this means a registered Red Angus that graded out would not qualify to be certified Angus Beef....... But the Red angus could qualify to be Certified Hereford Beef. This is so Ridiculous and nothing but a brilliant marketing ploy I quit caring years ago.

You have zero proof that McDonald's used dairy beef (or actual beef at all) as hamburgers. Many cull dairy cows I seen, were in good shape actually before slaughter. Downer cows are rarely slaughtered but I hasn't see any downer cows in years and I doubt the downer cows are slaughtered for human consumption.

Butcher old cows (both dairy and beef) ain't a threat to the beef industry.

As for bacon on burgers, it is a customer's choice no different from lettuce, cheese, ketchup and tomatoes.

Folks you can medicate crazy but you can't fix stupid. You have made a great effort. Most of the higher end steaks I see in the meat case is plainly marked USDA CHOICE. Ground beef is just that ground beef. All of it I see is marked clearly with the % lean to fat.

LCCattle":nf9ly98q said:
And you wonder why there are so few posters on this board.
And do you also see the USDA label on your fast food burger?

" Animals without the right genetics and proper management won't reach choice, regardless of their frame size. "
Seriously you're concerned about fast foods beef that's not labelled USDA?