Dairy cattle vs beef cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

As I said CAB was to sell bulls. It worked, now everything is available in black. Sterling Silver doesn;t care about color and the premiums are the same as CAB so it isn;t any big deal.

Red Bull,
And that is exactly what the public is doing, NOT EATING it which is causing the beef industry to loss market share which causes cattle prices to go down.

LCCattle":kwgd0yhs said:
Red Bull,
And that is exactly what the public is doing, NOT EATING it which is causing the beef industry to loss market share which causes cattle prices to go down.
Any proof in this? The studies showed that pink slime is harmless and is safe for human consumption.

Muddy,
Yes, plus all ground beef, and there are many other places the public buys or are provided beef without a USDA label on it, including supper markets, schools and other institutions. Check your local grocery store and take a picture of the USDA label on their meats for me.
Fact is, the public has no way to know how the USDA graded the meat they are buying/eating.
As the old saying goes, if you put it in your mouth and it taste bad, don't eat it and don't put it in your mouth again. And that is exactly what the public is doing. And there are a lot of pissed off beef cattlemen/Women out there trying to change it. Fact is you can't sell breeding stock or commercial cattle/calves, if there is no demand for beef. Just so you know.

LCC you and Muddy are on pretty equal IQ levels. This discussion needs left to you two. Beef grades don't mean anything. USDA inspection does with out it packers don't kill anything.

NECowboy":i49y1ohd said:
callmefence":i49y1ohd said:
LCCattle":i49y1ohd said:
OK, so as not to beat a dead horse, here is my position.

All meat from cattle can be called beef, but it must have the USDA grade on the package to be sold and there shall be no commingling of USDA grades.
Also it must be on the menus of all restaurants and institutions, or prominently displayed as to the USDA grade being sold/provided.
It shall be permissible to have more then one label, such as : USDA choice and a CAB ( certified Angus beef ), organic, all natural, grass fed etc etc label.

IMO, this should tell the consumer exactly what he/she is buying and why they are paying for what they are getting while being fare to all beef producers. It will also tell parents what their children are eating at school and why they will or will not eat school lunches.

X2 . Kinda

I'm definitely not for more regulations.
As boogie said I look at a steak before I buy it. That's how I choose. I think I just might be MORE interested in knowing where the cow came from, and what breed it was than how it graded....huh

That's how it is when I've been to France. The butcher can often tell you which farms it came from, breed, and often times the farms will let you visit so they can show they are quality (I think this falls into agro-tourism which is big over there - I know as an American I would have NO desire to have a bunch of strangers come visit my ranch! :cboy: ), but they are big into local sourcing which is cool.

Should be no reason beef has to come from Canada when we have good US beef. Canadians I'm sure you feel the same way about US beef so no hard feelings there. No offense but I'd rather enjoy local Nebraska corn-fed steak then grass-fed Texas or Alabama beef, Nebraska is my home state and I know the beef does not have far to travel. Texans should feel the same way about their own beef and I would take no offense to that. That's how the French do it - If you are in Aquitaine, restaurants, butchers, grocery stores, try to use beef from Aquitaine, and the quality is awesome. If you are in Limousin, they try to use beef from Limousin. Local meat is the way to go.
I agree, we should enjoy local beef and other local food first and foremost. I really admire the care, craftsmanship and pride the French take with their local food,, and wine.

LCCattle":vbazqfgf said:
TexasBred, etc

You are correct. The last burger I ate in town was at McDonald's. It was a burger with nothing on it and I took the meat out and tried to eat it and it defiantly was a dairy meat burger AKA a pink slim burger.
It was the sorriest excuse for beef that I had ever tasted and tried to eat.

Do you remember the black eye the whole cattle industry got over using pink slim in inferior ground beef to enhance it and make it palatable?
It was then that I realized that there was merit to the public out cry for a better quality meat and why cattlemen were loosing market share and cattle prices were going down.

As for see Holstein steers in a feedlot. Yes I have seen them along with thousands of Holstein heifers also. Holstein calves that have been raised with the same protocol as beef cattle is not what we are talking about as they too grade USDA select or choice.

We are talking about old dairy cows who have out lived their usefulness to produce milk and have not been raised to produce beef, that have little/no marbling or back fat and need to have pink slim/trimmings added to make the meat palatable.

I'm not knocking anyone's product, but facts are facts and need to be discussed if the beef industry is ever going to regain it's fair market share back from the chicken and pork industry. And by the way, have you noticed that most all restaurants are now adding bacon ( pork ) to their burgers to make them more palatable ?
Do you know Chick Fil A is now the most popular fast food restaurant ?
Do you know that when ever you see a claim of inhumane treatment of animals or a downer it's almost always a Holstein or at least a dairy cow?
Do you know the the USDA is going to soon be using ultrasound to grade cattle, if they are not already?
Do you know what that may mean to the dairy industry if they set the requirement to high?
Have you considered what requiring a USDA grade, at the consumer level, on all meat sold in the US will do to the imported meat?
Have you considered what this, producing a better quality meat, informing and educating the general public, will do for cattle prices?

So if you think this is all BS please feel free to tell me how you think we cattleman, both dairy and beef cattle, can regain/improve our market share to increase our profitability.

Then exactly what is your bytch with holsteins which you earlier questioned if the meat was even "beef". What is your agenda?? As for market share all you gotta do is raise more cattle. People are going to eat a lot of chicken whether you like it or not. It's CHEAP. He// nobody wants beef every meal. Pork is pretty darn good too. BTW is the business is so bad, just how big is our current cattle surplus??

As for market share all you gotta do is raise more cattle.

Raising more cattle will not increase market share. It will only create more supply which would drive prices down.
But thanks for answering my question.

LCCattle":r4akh621 said:

Raising more cattle will not increase market share. It will only create more supply which would drive prices down.
Which would make it more competitive to pork and chicken, and also "dairy".
Which is apparently what you want...

I don't think France needs to be our role model .... sure they are known for fine food, but ....
Australia
Canada
Denmark
Ireland
New Zealand
Spain
USA
are all countries that consume more beef per capita than France

LCCattle":3mefzu4m said:

It's easier for you thought than getting out there trying to increase your % of the market at my expense. Do that and then I have a right to bytch. How much of the market do you now have cornered??

sim.-ang.king":1i3y4lil said:
LCCattle":1i3y4lil said:

Which would make it more competitive to pork and chicken, and also "dairy".
Which is apparently what you want...
This was discussed somewhat at length on FB with varying points of view as some producers have already adopted one or both of the below

What was proposed was for commercial beef producers to produce inferior beef to compete with the dairy industry, both through genetics an poor management instead of proper management.
One proposal was for beef cattle producers to change their herd to a herd of Holstein, or in part, to produce more inferior beef to compete with dairy cattle. This would also create an increase in demand for those still producing beef cattle.

Another proposal was for beef producers to hold their beef cows in production longer until their BCS goes down to where they will no longer produce USDA grade choice right along with dairy cattle and be sold at the Holstein action so they most likely will go directly to the slaughterhouse.

I support both of these positions. Some breeders also supported my position even though it will have a negative effect on their market .

LCCattle":3gszahft said:
What was proposed was for commercial beef producers to produce inferior beef to compete with the dairy industry, both through genetics an poor management instead of proper management.
One proposal was for beef cattle producers to change their herd to a herd of Holstein, or in part, to produce more inferior beef to compete with dairy cattle. This would also create an increase in demand for those still producing beef cattle.

Why de-value our product - high quality beef cattle? McDonald's will always want to buy crap but I'm not really looking at selling my beef to McDonalds. I'm looking to sell mine to consumers who appreciate quality and restaurants who do the same.

NE,

Why de-value our product - high quality beef cattle?

Hopefully to help improve dairy cattle ground beef without adding pink slime.
To compete with the dairy industry that is putting a bad taste in the mouth of the consumers and to help drive up the price ( profit ) on quality beef. Ground beef is a large portion of the beef industry and it can not be ignored as certain cuts from quality beef ( your cattle ) ends up being ground beef and the consumer has no way of knowing which beef they are buying unless it is certified CAB.

Just a foot note on CAB.
For those of you who produce Black Angus cattle and have nothing good to say about CAB. Your cattle may very well end up at a CAB certified feedlots as they have buyers all over the country that buy, at auction .
Plus your profit should go us as you don't have to worry about genetics or proper management expenses as you do to produce quality beef. Plus if you hold your old beef cattle until their BCS goes down to Holstein level you will have probably produced at least 3-5 more calves out of them, more then off setting your loss for a lower grade cow at auction .

Just a foot note on pink slime.
In case you don't know what pink slime is and where it comes from.
Pink slime is processed trimmings from the outside of an carcass that has been in a cooler after slaughter. The carcass is then loaded on a reefer and transported to a packing house where is cut up and packed and sold as box beef. The outside of this carcass, that has been loaded and unloaded and travel across the country, if not across an ocean, is again placed in a cooler and left to cure for 10 days or longer if it hadn't already had time to cure. When the carcass is finally cut for packaging the outside of each cut is cut off and sold as trimmings to processors who then process it into pink slime after numerous people had handled it and it has been exposed to a multitude of outside contaminants. Thus, the reason for treating it with ammonia.

I just want to be sure that I'm clear on your position, because it seems to have altered slightly throughout the debate.
So, to clarify.....

You do not want 10 year old dairy breed cows to be referred to as beef. 10 year old beef breed cows are acceptable and will always be superior to that meat which comes from the 10 year old dairy cow?

Meat that comes from a 10 year old dairy cow should not be sold for human consumption, because its not really beef, but that same standard should not apply to any older beef breed meat, whether or not it can achieve a grade?

USDA grading, not just inspection, should be mandatory on all beef sold in the US, and labeled as to how it graded?
(I may have missed the solution to what is to be done with beef that would be graded lower than select).

Would these statements accurately (succinctly) reflect your position?

Cotton farm,
I just want to be sure that I'm clear on your position, because it seems to have altered slightly throughout the debate.
So, to clarify.....
You do not want 10 year old dairy breed cows to be referred to as beef.
Not so, but I did raise the issue in my first post as being from a FB site and I put the issue in question form, not a ( my ) statement, in an attempt to see how other cattlemen, including dairymen, how they felt on the issue. My position in, I don't have a problem with dairy being called beef, BUT if there is no other way we, both beef and dairymen, can solve this problem and regain market share, then I could move in that direction.

10 year old beef breed cows are acceptable and will always be superior to that meat which comes from the 10 year old dairy cow?
My position is true do to genetics and proper management.

Meat that comes from a 10 year old dairy cow should not be sold for human consumption, because its not really beef, but that same standard should not apply to any older beef breed meat, whether or not it can achieve a grade?
My position is, no meat, including meat from beef cattle, should be sold for human consumption that does not at least grade select, without being commingled with any product from a higher grade.

USDA grading, not just inspection, should be mandatory on all beef sold in the US, and labeled as to how it graded?
(I may have missed the solution to what is to be done with beef that would be graded lower than select).
They should go to the same place cancer-eyed and downer cattle go. In a hole in the ground or the rendering plant!

All I am doing is seeking out more information from y'all as cattlemen to take back to FB and possibly come up with a way to resolve this issue with some new/additional views.

Personally I don't think we need to resolve this issue. Just leave it as the way it is.

From my interpretation, it seems that you have an issue with ground beef more than other meats.

Here is something else you might be interested in on box beef.
Boxed beef cutout values steady on Choice and lower on Select on light to moderate
demand and moderate to heavy offerings. Select and Choice rib and round cuts steady
to weak while chuck cuts weak to lower. Choice loin cuts firm while Select weak.
Beef trimmings higher on moderate demand and light to moderate offerings.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_xb403.txt

Latest posts