Cutting Torch Adjustments

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Ok...expressing my ignorance...lol.

I have an almost new propane/oxygen cutting torch (Victor). Every time I use it (which is seldom) I seem to have trouble adjusting my valves on torch unit. My pressure adjustments at my 2 tanks ARE correctly made.

With the 3 valves on torch, Red: Propane, Green: Oxygen, and the round knob near the lever for extra oxygen to "blow" the melted slag away.

I must be doing something wrong... I light the propane first, then turn on the oxygen knob next to the propane knob to add O2 to get about a 1/4" blue flame next to tip...

Frequently, I'll get a "flameout", especially if there is a little bit of wind blowing. Never seem to adjust the round knob next to the Oxygen lever correctly.

Will appreciate a "by the numbers" instruction on how to do it right!

Thanks for any help y'all![/u]

Ok I'll try open the oxygen knob besides the propane knob wide open making sure the oxygen knob next to the oxygen lever is closed, then open your gas knob a little and light it. At this time if the wind is blowing hold the tip of the torch at an angle against a piece of steel as you open the knob next to your oxygen lever and ajust untill you have a short blue flame without a tail.(for lack of a better word)

llcupit":2x9133kz said:
Ok I'll try open the oxygen knob besides the propane knob wide open making sure the oxygen knob next to the oxygen lever is closed, then open your gas knob a little and light it. At this time if the wind is blowing hold the tip of the torch at an angle against a piece of steel as you open the knob next to your oxygen lever and ajust untill you have a short blue flame without a tail.(for lack of a better word)
I agree.

What the posts are telling you is right, but the only thing I'd add is adjusting a torch is something very easy to show, and almost impossible to describe in writing. I'd suggest if possible to find someone in your area with some expierence and have them give you some pointers.

Northern tool has a video on how to adjust a torch. It's fairly cheap and handy as all get out rather then trying to explain it.

dun

Something I forgot to mention is that I am in the process of building new working facilities so come on up and you will get a lot of practice. ;-)

Personally I wouldn't give two cents for a propane fired torch. I only use acetylene/oxygen torches.

flaboy-":3u0i0qok said:
Personally I wouldn't give two cents for a propane fired torch. I only use acetylene/oxygen torches.

I had the same question. I did not know that propane would cut steel?

alabama":1f9ekpjz said:
flaboy-":1f9ekpjz said:

Isn't the Oxygen or Acetylene used only to ignite the oxygen?

MikeC":1tj3y3sw said:
alabama":1tj3y3sw said:
flaboy-":1tj3y3sw said:

oxygen wont ignite it only accelerates(spelling) the flame ive heard of cheaper gas called map gas that gets hot enough to burn steel but not as good as acetylene but i havent heard of using propane

Actually, propane is quite common for everyday use when cutting steel. A lot of scrappers use propane due to the cheaper purchase price and the fact that a tank of propane will last much longer than a tank of acetylene. I have worked for industrial gas companies and now I work for a major manufacturer of gas apparatus as well as welding equipment and filler metals. Propane tips and other fuel gases are often two part tips while acetylene is often a one part torch tip. Acetylene burns at over 5,000 degrees making for quick work. Propane on the other hand burns much cooler so you must allow more time for preheat. However, once the cut starts it should burn through at approximately the same speed. Depending on the type and amount of cutting you have to do, and also your budget a plasma cutter is much faster and cleaner.

rws":1dsr2om4 said:
MikeC":1dsr2om4 said:
alabama":1dsr2om4 said:
flaboy-":1dsr2om4 said:

oxygen wont ignite it only accelerates(spelling) the flame ive heard of cheaper gas called map gas that gets hot enough to burn steel but not as good as acetylene but i havent heard of using propane
I haven't worked at a place that 3/4 of the people didn't freak out over oxygen. The biggest problem with oxygen in a medical facility is with prolonged use materials become oxygen saturated and burn much faster.

Running Arrow Bill":16o7qod4 said:
Will appreciate a "by the numbers" instruction on how to do it right!

Thanks for any help y'all![/u]

Like others have said, it's easier to demonstrate than explain, but I'll give it a try.

From the beginning:

1). Make sure all valves on the torch and the bottles themselves are turned to the off position.

2). Open acetylene (or whatever gas) cylinder valve about 2 turns. Do not open wide open in case you need to shut down in an emergency.

3). Open oxygen cylinder valve all the way.

4). Open the bottom oxygen valve on the torch (next to the gas) all the way. This allows the gas to go up to the top valve on the torch, which will control the amount of oxygen to blend with the gas. You would only need to use the bottom valve to adjust the oxygen amount when you are using something like a rosebud tip. For cutting, just always leave the bottom oxygen valve wide open.

5). Now I would open the bottom gas valve and the top oxygen valve a turn or so and let the gases come out. While the gas is releasing look at your gauges and adjust the gas to about 5 psi and the oxgen to around 20 psi. Turn gas and top oxygen valves on the torch off after gages are adjusted.

6.) Slightly open the gas valve and use a striker to ignite the torch. Use top oxygen valve on torch to adjust flame. Keep adjusting flame, using only the bottom gas and top oxygen valves until you have the desired amount of heat.

7). When finished cutting, close the gas first and then the oxygen.

A clean cutting tip will make things easier also. Make sure all holes in the tip are clean. A '00' tip should work just fine for most things around the farm/ranch.

Latest posts