Torch set?

Help Support CattleToday:

They are great for certain applications, mostly refrig work, sweating copper tubing and fittings. If you try cutting steel with a #2 tip the small oxygen cylinder will last about 30 minutes.
Probably use a 40 cu. ft. tank, so about an hour? I rarely need a torch but when you do it is hard to improvise.

You might consider using LPG or propane as you people call it instead of acetylene. It does the job well and saves on the cylinder rental and fills with acetylene although the gases seem to be a lot cheaper there than we have here. Just need to get the right regulator for it.

Ken

You might consider using LPG or propane as you people call it instead of acetylene. It does the job well and saves on the cylinder rental and fills with acetylene although the gases seem to be a lot cheaper there than we have here. Just need to get the right regulator for it.

Ken
Acetylene is 40% more efficient at cutting than propane. That is why you don't see it used much on cutting torches.

You can always get bigger tanks if you start using your torch more than your planning.
I have a Tru-Oxy on my welding trailer. When we build our shop nxt yr I want a Smith.

A neighbor junks. He cuts up a lot of farm equipment. He uses LP. He says it takes more oxygen and doesn't cut as clean. But its cheaper than acetylene.

The set you are looking at has a fancy bag if that is what you want as they are using that as a big selling point. It will dry rot on you maybe before you get it.

If they are Victor compatible should work, but for just a little more you can get Victor the industry standard. I have used Propane (grill tank) with my set for many years and other than maybe a little harder to lite about as good as Acetylene ( can burn through a 2" thick piece of steel like a knife through butter). You have to use the Propane tips. If you really want to cut use expensive Mapp gas. Don't get short hoses either as I like my long hoses reaching around machinery, etc.

Last edited:
That's a Harris style, and won't use victor style tips. Nothing wrong with it, but Harris tips aren't as easy to find around here.

That's a Harris style, and won't use victor style tips. Nothing wrong with it, but Harris tips aren't as easy to find around here.
That's exactly right.
I like a Harris style torch. The more valves the more problems, especially using it in the field. The Harris style only uses a mixing valve on the oxygen side and I like that. But you can't find tips everywhere.

The bag is eye candy. Companies spend more money, time, and research on marketing and advertising than the product itself nowadays. That fancy worthless bag will cause a lot to hit the 'BUY" button.

I'd skip acetylene and go to propane without question. Sure it doesn't get as hot and takes a little more but the cost difference makes up for it. A 100lb propane cylinder is easy to have filled and will last a long long time. Last time I exchanged my little acetylene cylinder I about had a stroke at the price, so it's sat full an unused "just incase".

To each their own. I have 3 torch sets all on propane now. I have acetylene tanks for all sitting in the shop. At our local prices its a little over 3x less expensive to cut with propane.

If I was going to do heavy cutting I would go with Mapp gas. The local metal yard that is all they use as time is money. They have humongous tanks and the guys cut up railroad cars, heavy equipment, you name it, all day to ship and be melted down. I thought I would never like propane until I tried it. Just make sure you have the propane tips. I sold my acetylene tanks.

Last edited:
If I was going to do heavy cutting I would go with Mapp gas. The local metal yard that is all they use as time is money. They have humongous tanks and the guys cut up railroad cars, heavy equipment, you name it, all day to ship and be melted down. I thought I would never like propane until I tried it. Just make sure you have the propane tips. I sold my acetylene tanks.
You should figure in the the 3-4 x more oxygen, the time and the poor quality when you figure propane being cheaper.

Latest posts